1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

66 Resto Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well since I recently bought another Gauge Panel to play with i started to build an insert for custom gauge setup. Its been to wet and cold to do other stuff so might as well do some work indoors

Carboard template

Resin setting

Grinded down the center for fitting

Old 03-03-2015, 09:28 AM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PO on my truck did a custom insert like that. Unfortunately, he did a bad job and the cut is not smooth at all and is gapped in places. The gauges only work half the time so I am disassembling anyway.

Are you going to to a 5-6 gauge set-up?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Im thinking a 5 gauge setup. I have so many laying around. I have a 3 1/8 Speedo, a 5" tach, a mini tach and im learning the speedo mini tach and a few other like fuel and oil. I plan on cutting out the metal and leaving edges to have the fiberglass lay on. Its currently fitted pretty tight but has a gap in the one corner. I plan on fixing it with the glass and trimming it to fit. Im probably not going to leave the cardboard in, its more of shaping and such. Any pics of yours? What gauges dont work? Ive been considering manual oil and temp gauges....But not sure about pulling lines in the truck. Im running a 240 so i still have to check where to put everything anyway

Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeff Ranger
Any pics of yours? What gauges dont work? Ive been considering manual oil and temp gauges....But not sure about pulling lines in the truck. Im running a 240 so i still have to check where to put everything anyway
Mine currently has a six gauge set up (see pic). It looks rough in person as it is not a well done job. The gauges work intermittently. Speedometer is okay but jumps up and down a bit. The tach works fine, voltage is fine. The oil and temp gauges generally work. Fuel gauge is hit or miss. A lot of the problem I believe is just the horrible wiring. When I disconnected all of the wires for the gauges that would light them up at night, suddenly the gauges are working better. But the last time I drove it, the fuel gauge would go from 0 to 3/4 randomly. I've checked the sending unit and the gauge goes straight to full if you test the wire, so I think it is just bad wiring behind the panel.

Since it has 6 I will probably stay with that.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Considering a 6 gauge setup now since i have the gauges and not sure i want to put the Haneline gauges in my 67 mustang.

I used the cardboard and made my fiberglass insert. it needs a couple more layers and then some smoothing.

Also got out cut off the older bumper, fitted, welded, and put weld through primer all over the new roll pan so it wont rust

Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
Roll pan looks slick, pardon the pun, can't wait to see the finished gauge panel. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Thanks!! The panel is actually outside with more glass on it drying..lol

Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 PM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
More work on the dash panel

Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 AM
rcb5
Junior User
looks good man!

Old 03-17-2015, 04:22 PM
PapaMatt
Senior User
Man that looks great. I need a new insert and was planning on just buying a billet one but this has me thinking. I've never used fiberglass. Is there just a kit to buy and then lay these layers? How idiot proof?

Old 03-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
THanks guys!

If you have done bondo you can probably do fiberglass. The biggest thing is getting your template right. I would do it a little differently if i did it again. I would cut the bezel out first. Put Cardboard behind the hole, then another layer in the hole to even it out.

That would just be to create a flat surface which is what i did with my template over the original bezel. I just think the fit would be a bit better.

So as far as Fiberglass goes yes and no on the kit. You buy the resin and hardner together then you buy the matte or cloth.

You want to mask off the bezel fully with tape. It wont come out real easy but once you put the first layer on you let it dry, add another.

The process i do is i put resin/hardner mix on the surface. Then lay the cloth on top of it. For such a small thing id just use one piece to cover it all but you use a paint brush to brush it on. You just need to make sure to get it brushed into all the edges etc. With this bezel its kinda easy if you get it layed flat because even if you brush get all over the bezel curve you just cut it off. I used a dremel and just ran it alone the surface and cut the lips off. Its toxic and takes time to dry but 3 layers should be about all you need.

What i did after i got it where i wanted it was i drilled into the bezel and put two rivits in the corner. All seams i filled with HOT glue and smoothed it alone those lines. Dont use your finger...It burns. Then i just scuffed it, primed, bed liner, paint, then more bedliner from a distance to get the effect. Im going to top coat it with matte clear so it cleans easy too

I also went along the back side with glue a long the edges to make sure it stays in place.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
Old 03-17-2015, 06:53 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
That gauge panel looks awesome, you did a great job

Old 03-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned
trying to make sure the truck is safe to drive at night. H4 light upgrade. Relay Harness on the way

Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Jeff Ranger
Tuned

Swapped over to the 17x7 off my 2014 Mustang. Looks much better

Installed a polished Radio plate. Works Great, Hides the cut outs, and holds the radio much better. Im gonna have to paint it though. Sticks out a little too much polished

Quick Reply: 66 Resto Mod