Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Anyone from Tulsa?

Old 07-12-2003, 11:17 PM
dbeames
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone from Tulsa?

Any one on here from Tulsa? Just wondering.

Old 07-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
Anyone from Tulsa?

there are several from the tulsa area. i am in wagoner.

Old 07-13-2003, 02:14 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Anyone from Tulsa?

Sure am. I live up in Owasso and work on 11th Street & Hwy44. I drive a bright red 78 F150 and am working on a '50 F1 truckrod.

Old 07-13-2003, 11:40 PM
dbeames
Senior User
Anyone from Tulsa?

Cool. I was just wondering. I grew up in Muskogee, now a Tulsan. I go to American Broadcasting School and was just wondering how many people were actually from here. I am looking for ideas to enhance my 98 F150 4.2L XL (shortwide single cab) auto. Looks, speed, gas mileage, etc. What are your thoughts.. Oh yeah. Getting married in about 5 weeks so I don't have much cash flow right now, but I need to some stuff to the old truck before the wifey won't let me.

Anyone know the TRUE story behind that song.. American Pie... ? Don McLean said in an interview that it ISN'T what everyone thinks it is. You know, the plane crash, etc. So what do you think it really is?

Old 07-14-2003, 04:44 PM
travis c
Junior User
Anyone from Tulsa?

hey i am 16,i live in sand springs, i drive a brown 76 f100 351m

Old 07-14-2003, 09:02 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Anyone from Tulsa?

Originally posted by dbeames
Cool. I was just wondering. I grew up in Muskogee, now a Tulsan. I go to American Broadcasting School and was just wondering how many people were actually from here. I am looking for ideas to enhance my 98 F150 4.2L XL (shortwide single cab) auto. Looks, speed, gas mileage, etc. What are your thoughts..
Answer....My previous truck was a 97 F150 4.2L XLT (swsc). The 4.2LV6 was a pretty peppy stock engine and livened up with the simple mods I did. It really improved with the shift kit. My neighbor thought I had a V8 under the hood. She was Glitter midnight blue with all the fancy trim. She was one sweet ride. I bought her stock and added the following items;

-Flowmaster 40 Series SiSo and had the exhaust tip routed from in front of the rear wheel to behind it.

-Accel 9000 Series race plug wires.

-Accel spark plugs rated hotter than stock.

-K&N Free flow filter and cut the outer filter housing off for better flow.

-B&M Electronic Shift Kit(Stock, Street/Strip, & Towing Settings)

-Self Tinted rear window.

-Profile wraparound smoke bug deflector for the hood.

-Boomin stereo system(Cerwin sub, Profile 3ch amp, Pioneer 3way 5x7's, etc.)

Oh yeah. Getting married in about 5 weeks so I don't have much cash flow right now, but I need to some stuff to the old truck before the wifey won't let me.
Congrats! Hey, I don't suppose you're the same guy in the Sunday Classifieds selling a boat because he's getting married soon? I've been looking for a small boat and that add caught my attention.

Anyone know the TRUE story behind that song.. American Pie... ? Don McLean said in an interview that it ISN'T what everyone thinks it is. You know, the plane crash, etc. So what do you think it really is?
Noooo. I don't know the "True" story behind it. Don't ruin a good song for me. That's one I've enjoyed memorizing the words too.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:55 AM
dbeames
Senior User
Anyone from Tulsa?

Hehehe. No I don't know the true story behind it either, was hoping someone else knew. Thank you for your input. here is what I was thinking about for starters:

Flowmaster Series 40 SiDo (2 1/2" outs prolly)
Volant Cold Air Intake Kit (don't know if it's worth the $$ or not)
PowerAid TB Spacer
Maybe a chip of some sort.

I never thought about a shift kit. I need to look into it. Do you think those plugs/wires really enhanced the spark?

Thanks for the congrats. No, I am sorry. I'm not the one selling the boat. My fiance would shoot me if i had one and was tryin to sell it. She loves em.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:59 AM
dbeames
Senior User
Anyone from Tulsa?

Know of a good muffler shop to put the flows on and rerout the system, or is it easy to do? I know a good mechanic that I use when things get too rough, but I don't think he does exhaust. He also wants to charge me an arm and a leg ($600) to change my upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and the front cover gasket (not for sure exactly which that one is). Found this site and it scared me: www.leakingfords.com

Old 07-15-2003, 08:52 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Anyone from Tulsa?

I would definately start with the Flowmaster 40 swap. If you don't want too much noise, they also make a Flowmaster 40 Delta series for more $$$. The SiDo might be a bit too much free flow for the smaller V6 engines. You might experience a loss in low end power at take off, but might gain more at highway speeds.

The cold air intake kits were out my $$$ range and the K&N filter box mod worked great for me.

I've read mixed results on the throttle body spacers. They do not act the same as carb spacers. But they supposedly do produce an increase in gas mileage.

A chip might help but again, the $$$ was out of the question for my truck.

The B&M Electronic Shift kit was great. It took 45min to install in my driveway, does not void any factory warranties, would be easy to uninstall, and all three settings worked awesomely.

Oh ya, the plug wires and switching to a hotter plug helped! The measured resistance in the high quality plug wires allows more spark to show up at the plug tips, thereby giving a better combustion of the fuel and air mixture, thus providing much better response when you mash the go pedal! (For example this past weekend I installed a set of Taylor Spiro Pro plug wires in my 78 F150. They replaced the Autozone Lifetime warranty "high quality 8mm" plug wires. I cut a 1 foot section of wire from each brand and measured the resistance. The Autozone wires measured over twice the resistance of the Taylor wires.)

As for exhaust I take all my vehicles to B&M Exhaust in Owasso. The let me tell them exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it routed and got me in and out fairly quickly. And their prices are very reasonable. I even trusted them enough to let my wife take my truck out there to get some exhaust work done and they did not screw her with the price!

Ya, I heard about that engine problem. Luckily my engine only needed the timing chain cover gasket(for a recall/tsb) and was up and running in less than a day. Definately check to see if your truck has had all it's recalls and TSB's addressed, if you have not yet.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:08 AM
dbeames
Senior User
Anyone from Tulsa?

How do I go about testing that? I didn't know if there was a way to check on the TSB's.. Do they look it up by your VIN? Is there a way on the internet? The only problem is I have a used engine in there now. I already had to replace the one that came in it. It blew at 103,000 miles. With the exact symptoms that www.leakingfords.com site says. So I don't know what all was done on this engine. So I need to do whatever I can within a budget.

About the SiDo's, I have heard alot of good about putting them on the 4.2L's. Because they are a "big" V6, it doesn't hurt them, noticably.

How much were those set of wires and plugs? Do you use Autozone or independant?

I think I might give B&M exhaust a call. Would they order the flowmaster kit, or would it be cheaper for me to get it and have them put it in and route it? Or to have them order it?

Was checking into the shift kits, looks like that might be my second purchase. I think the flows will be first. Then will be the shift kit, then cold air. I have a K&N Filter in there now, but it is inside the stock air tube. Can I change that any to be better than the cold air induction?

Old 07-16-2003, 08:16 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Anyone from Tulsa?

If you know the vin of the truck that the V6 came out of, then any Ford Dealership could track any Recalls or TSB's for it. You could probably also jump on the official Ford website to check there.

Ya, I've read that a lot of people have used the SiDo with their V6 with good results. I was more than pleased with the sound and power of the SiSo.

The plug wires were around $60 from Summit racing. But that was when they were fairly new. So the price might have come down by now.

The spark plugs were more than a regular plug but less expensive than those darn Bosch4Platinums!

I get all my auto stuff from OReilly's or Summit Racing. Autozone can kiss my glass! They have horrible management and very very poor service at every store that I've visited in Tulsa and Owasso.

B&M Usually has the Flowmasters in stock. I'm not sure on the prices. You will just have to call and check around. I ordered my Flowmaster from carparts.com and then just had B&M Exhaust install it the way I wanted. They were more than willing to work with me on how to have the system installed and let me watch as they fitted and welded everything in. Great guys and great service.

Your K&N setup helps, but you would probably notice an improvement when you hit the go pedal if you trim the outside of the air cover off and get rid of the snorkel. It will pull in the ambient temp air but when you are moving the air will be almost just as cool as the air in the fender so you wouldn't loose any cool air power.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:23 PM
dbeames
Senior User
Anyone from Tulsa?

That sounds awesome. Another question: The shift kit. Do most of them require work inside the tranny? Or is it like a bolt on type of deal? I am not too familiar with them.

Old 07-17-2003, 09:09 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Anyone from Tulsa?

No tranny connections or crawling under your truck is needed. If memory serves me correctly it's only two wires that need connecting. They are located in the brain module near the passenger side kick panel, in the firewall. They are called B&M Electronic Shift Kits. Check them out at the B&M Website! You could probably get a great deal on Ebay. If ya need help installing it shoot me an email and I can help with the install.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:13 AM
dbeames
Senior User
Anyone from Tulsa?

Is this what you were talking about:
http://www.bmracing.com/products/kit...over_ford.html

Looks pretty simple.

Old 07-19-2003, 05:55 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Anyone from Tulsa?

Nope. That was the wrong link. Here's the correct link.

http://www.bmracing.com/products/kit...sImprover.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone from Tulsa?