Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Possible flat lifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible flat lifter

I put this comment on one of my earlier posts regarding the removal of push rods:
I finally got the new bolts(one was broken) from Ford to bolt down my rocker arms. As I stated earlier in another post, the fourth rocker from the fire wall on the passenger side is real loose. Considerably more loose than any of the other rockers. I am thinking to verify that it is a lifter that needs to be pumped up, I will do the following:
1. leave the rocker cover off.
2. install the injector pump(having it rebuilt.
3. leave the glow plugs and injectors out.
4. hook up a set of hoses tied together with tees from the end of the injector lines into a bucket.
5. crank the engine over until fuel runs out the hoses, meaning the pump and lines are purged.
6. by this time the lifters should all be pumped up and I can verify the push rods tighten up.

What are your thoughts?

V-465

Old 08-24-2014, 11:17 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You should have no less than a half turn of lash on any of the rockers... As long as you have that, you should be fine, providing the valves aren't being compressed while you tighten.... Youll have to rotate the engine over to make sure both valves are closed on the cylinders your tightening.

Its always a good idea to pull the lifters out, inspect them, and if need be, pull them apart and clean them up so they function properly.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Well, I don't want to rotate the engine until I have the injector pump installed since that is what really keeps the gear in place. Also I didn't mention it in this post, but the truck has been sitting for about three weeks. The reason for the post is the thought that maybe the lifter has drained and allowing the slop between the push rod and the rocker arm. So if I hook up all the fuel injection, with out hooking the lines to injectors, run hoses from the lines to a bucket, crank the engine over enough times to purge the air out of the fuelie lines than should provide enough rotations of the engine to pump up the lifter. That's really my question.

Thanks,

Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the IP cover is in place, the gear cannot skip a tooth. It can move around, but not enough.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Good to know! Thanks,

Old 08-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
So, taking everyone's advise, including Justin at R&D-IDI, I pulled the manifold and valley gasket, and I found the exhaust lifter for the #5 cylinder had disassembled it's self. The push rod had tipped the cup in the lifter sideways and there was broken piece of metal that looked to be originally the size of a dime sitting down in the valley. Not even a clue where the spring clip is that hold the lifter together is. Hopefully drained out in an oil change. Bought two new Melling Lifters, a valley gasket. Went to the Pick-n-Pull auto dismantlers and found a 7.3 that I could rob a rocker arm assy from. The surface where the rocker pushes on the valve is a little beat up from being body slammed for who knows how many miles.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 PM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure the cam lobe is ok before reassembling the engine. Also check the valve keepers for signs of shearing.

How is the oil level on the dipstick? Running low on oil will collapse the lifter and allow lash in the valvetrain. The lash allows the valve to seat and open on the high velocity flank portion of the cam lobe, which can break the rocker arm hold down bolts and shear keepers, eventually resulting in valve drops or stem breakage.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Well, it was my daughters truck. I kept a pretty good eye on the oil level and was constantly on her about it. But...............you never know

Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Just went an pulled the dipstick and it has plenty of oil, but that doesn't necessarily mean she didn't run it low at another time......

V-465