6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

marbles in a jar..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:57 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marbles in a jar..

I have a 2008 f250, the truck is lifted 10 inches with 44'' tires. Im running a H&S MiniMaxx tuner with all emissions non-sense deleted. The truck was recently driven from South Carolina to California loaded down and with a small suv on a trailer behind it. the truck ran great but about half way through texas i started to notice a strange sound. at first i thought this might be a wheel bearing or something of that nature because the sound seemed to be rotational.

Now the trucks running fine, no DTCs present. But the sound is almost identical to a single marble in a glass jar shaking around. Or even a few beer bottles clinking together. It pretty bad and its loud!

I have no idea what this could be, the truck only makes the sound while moving. the sound does not speed up with the truck or slow down with it.

has anyone ever heard of anything like this? nothing obvious is loose or hanging. its the weirdest sound I've ever heard a truck make.

any input would be great!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Someone must have put a cummins under your hood while you where sleeping.....

Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Can you do a video/audio of it?

Have you checked all your fluids to include the transfer case and rear diff?

Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
Can you do a video/audio of it?

Have you checked all your fluids to include the transfer case and rear diff?
Everything is topped off and full as it should be.. I'm taking the truck in today.. I give up lol

Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lmao....to driving a truck with 44's across the country you must have an endless amount of funds for dieselg is this the truck you bought from the guy off of craiglist?? how has the truck been??

Old 08-26-2014, 11:45 AM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
lmao....to driving a truck with 44's across the country you must have an endless amount of funds for dieselg is this the truck you bought from the guy off of craiglist?? how has the truck been??
This truck has been one of the most solid built trucks I have ever seen. The guy who built it up cut no corners, and spent the pennies. Other then this current issue which IMO is to be expected after a 3 day haul across the country at speeds upward of 80mph with trailer. I'm not saying its the most senseable thing on the road. In fact its straight up ridiculous. But its done right, and with quality parts. I've dumbed down the tune to mild and she's been running just fine with plenty of get up and go.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's not speed related, my first place to look is the exhaust system. Something rubbing somewhere. When putting the truck in gear, the engine/transmission will move a little bit. That could be all it takes to put something against something else and make a noise.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
If it's not speed related, my first place to look is the exhaust system. Something rubbing somewhere. When putting the truck in gear, the engine/transmission will move a little bit. That could be all it takes to put something against something else and make a noise.
I don't know, nothing seems to be loose. I've looked over just about everything. I don't know if the sounds internal or not. It sounds to me like its something on the outside of the truck, not behind a casing or a cover. The sound is to clear, it does not seemed to be muffled by anything.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Does it make the noise while sitting still with the truck in gear? Or does it have to be moving?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Does it make the noise while sitting still with the truck in gear? Or does it have to be moving?
Has to be moving.. From what I noticed it has to be moving at about 10mph + for it to make the sound

Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
I was told that sometimes the "bendex" and that's quoted cause I don't know if I spelt that right. On the starter can become loose and jiggle against the flywheel making that sound. Now the only reason this raises a eyebrow is because sometimes when I go to start the truck it makes this obnoxious grinding sound lime the gears of the starter are missing the gears of the flywheel so I know there's at least a problem with the starter already.. Can anyone elaborate on this issue? Or possibility?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
senix is right... a video would help maybe trigger someone who has experienced it.. if you say it starts at 10mph...you should be able 2 get a decent video ....other wise just a bunch of guessing.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:41 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Lug nut come off under a center cap?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:31 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Is the truck deleted? Check the exhaust on the transmission cross member.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 PM
stilltruckinn
Junior User
So i just wanted to touch base and let everyone know what exactly it was that was making this sound. Just incase anyone ever runs into this issue. All to offten i run across threads that talk about the problem but rarely cover what it actually was.

The noise was coming from the rear of the truck, the rear diff where the drive shaft inserts. There is a large casted steel ring that the drive shaft goes through right before it locks into the rear diff. I dont know if this ring is a balancer or just some extra "meat" to help protect the yoke of the shaft and the diff.

Anyways, this ring has a rubber o-ring/ gromet that keeps it snug in place as it spins with the drive shaft just before the rear diff. In typical east coast fashion the humidity and saltwater had chewed it away to nothing. There for this heavy metal ring was clinking against the rear diff making this sound that can only be compared to a "marble in a glass jar".

Temporary solution?

You can either pull the yoke, remove the ring, replace the 0-ring/ gromet or if your lazy like me, get under there with a grinder and cut that B!TCH OFF!

Quick Reply: marbles in a jar..