Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Junior User

mgerdau is starting off with a positive reputation.
CARB SPRAYING FUEL

I have a C 3 TF H 2bbl Carb I rebuilt it with a kit from Napa. I'm thinking the float may not be set right. If I accelerate a fine mist of fuel blows out of the carb. Looking into the throat I can see a lot of fuel, well its very wet.

Also, I've been checking the forum for adjusting procedures, all I've found so far are discussions on 2150's or 2100's. I didn't notice a vacuum port to attach a gauge to so I've been just adjusting the air/fuel mixture by ear and watching the tach. I was wondering if I should detach the line that goes to the distributor and check the vacuum there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
How does the truck run?

19 and 49 F1 jes' like Henry II built

DW
Old 08-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Junior User

mgerdau is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
How does the truck run?
Runs ok a little hesitant when accelerating.

I did check the float and I had it a little high. Reset that at 21/32nd.

I had kept the Napa rebuild kit there were two sets of instructions in it. One set for a Model F2 and another set for a 2100-D.

In the rebuild kit I found the rubber check valve that everyone talks about pulling through from the float bowl side. So I checked to see if maybe I forgot to put that in. What I found was a metal seat for the spring with a check ball in the top that was held in place with a screw from the top.

I also found I had the over ride rod in the wrong holes so put the rod in the inside hole and then in the 1st hole in the back. Couldn't get the pump adjust to 5/32, best I could do was 3/32.

I did put my vacuum gauge on the vacuum line that goes to the distributor. The vacuum fluctuated from 5 to 0, so I must have a vacuum leak somewhere. I had checked by spraying WD40 around the base of the carburetor and everywhere else but no rise in RPM's.

But sure seems to have too much fuel going into the carb.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
WD40 does not readily burn, so it is a poor product to try to find if you have a vacuum leak with. (in fact it's a poor product for most of what people try to use it for except to keep metal from rusting) Try using starting fluid.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Postmaster

yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
WD40 does not readily burn, so it is a poor product to try to find if you have a vacuum leak with. (in fact it's a poor product for most of what people try to use it for except to keep metal from rusting) Try using starting fluid.
I use WD40 for starting snowmobiles that have sat all summer. I remove the plug's and giver a healthy dose in each cylinder, and they fire and run till the fuel pump kicks in. Spray some on the ground and light it. Seems to burn readily for me. In the trade I used the acetylene torch, gas only, on very low to chk for vacuum leaks. I don't have my oxy/ace anymore, and find WD40 will work just fine. I find Starting fluid and carb cleaner too volatile. good luck.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Senior User

fladoodle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamagrant View Post
I use WD40 for starting snowmobiles that have sat all summer. I remove the plug's and giver a healthy dose in each cylinder, and they fire and run till the fuel pump kicks in. Spray some on the ground and light it. Seems to burn readily for me. In the trade I used the acetylene torch, gas only, on very low to chk for vacuum leaks. I don't have my oxy/ace anymore, and find WD40 will work just fine. I find Starting fluid and carb cleaner too volatile. good luck.
I seem to remember someone telling me that WD40s old formula used to be a really good starting fluid for diesel engines and that they reformulated it at some point, (probably health/safety type reasons,) and that the new formula was not as volatile(?) or something else that made it not work as well.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Postmaster

yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.yamagrant has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fladoodle View Post
I seem to remember someone telling me that WD40s old formula used to be a really good starting fluid for diesel engines and that they reformulated it at some point, (probably health/safety type reasons,) and that the new formula was not as volatile(?) or something else that made it not work as well.
The can in my shed is about 5yrs old. I use it every fall and it works like a charm.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
An unlit propane torch works well too.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM