Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Upscale reg cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 AM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upscale reg cab

Nobody as of yet offer their upscale interiors in their regular cab trucks. I understand that most sales of this model are for work but with the advanced assembly lines that can mass produce whatever they offer w/o delay why not offer your best in the regular cabs? I for one would buy it.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 AM
2015er
Junior User
I agree completely! I think the regular cab will come back and could be a real sales leader. For two reasons:
1.) A lot is being written about weight loss and methods to achieve a reduction. All this stuff about aluminum v. steel and on and on. One simple method to achieve weight loss? Order a regular cab. On average regular cabs weigh 500-700 lbs less than extended cabs and even more so than crew cabs. Bed length can vary so capacity of the truck is equal. Now like you're saying provide the upscale luxurious features and sales will take off;
2.) More and more truck buyers especially those with money are going to be age 50 and over. These are the people in the market with big bucks. They're the ones ordering the platniums and king ranch trucks. They are older, retired or near-retirement and have money. They have little need for crew cabs and carrying around a big empty cab 99% of the time. They order these trucks for the finely appointed cabs - yet they're offered only in crew cabs - WHY? How do I know this - I am one of these persons - over 50 and in the market for a nice truck - I am considering a Lariat because at least that I can get in the extended cab and not waste money on a crew cab. If I could get a regular cab king ranch I would buy it in a heart beat.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ArtsBest
Nobody as of yet offer their upscale interiors in their regular cab trucks. I understand that most sales of this model are for work but with the advanced assembly lines that can mass produce whatever they offer w/o delay why not offer your best in the regular cabs? I for one would buy it.
The "Tremor" had about the most upscale interior I have seen. My son had a 2012 Ram R / T that was laoded with all the goodies also. So they're out there, not sure how well the Tremor sold though, the price was pretty high for the package. I'm basically paying notes on 4 vehicles (2 daughters, mine and my wife's) if it weren't for that, I would have purchased one just as an extra truck. But, I think Ford needs to make a single cab in say a Lariat trim, because of the customer base that would buy the vehicle, the Tremor, to me, was targeted more for the younger crowd, but the price was more than they were really willing to pay, and the styling wasn't appealing to the older customers that could / would pay a premium for a single cab. I think there was nothing wrong with the truck, just marketed wrong maybe. I agree, they should produce a single cab with a more upscale interior, but should stick with existing trim levels, not make a special truck just for the nicer interior in a single cab.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 PM
2015er
Junior User
That is a good point about the Tremor and I did look at it but it kind of missed the mark. I am not interested in the cheesy looking black rims and decals up and down the side. Plus the 4.1 axle didn't help either as I am not interested in laying rubber in my 1/2 ton regular cab. What I would like is a classy, Lariat or Platinum look in a regular cab, short box. A capable truck with good towing and hauling numbers and nice appointments. Why is this so elusive?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:35 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2015er
That is a good point about the Tremor and I did look at it but it kind of missed the mark. I am not interested in the cheesy looking black rims and decals up and down the side. Plus the 4.1 axle didn't help either as I am not interested in laying rubber in my 1/2 ton regular cab. What I would like is a classy, Lariat or Platinum look in a regular cab, short box. A capable truck with good towing and hauling numbers and nice appointments. Why is this so elusive?
If I had to guess, I'd say Ford's "market research" didn't indicate a niche for the above described vehicle, they were depending on the Tremor being snatched up by enthusiasts, but as I stated, and this is just my opinion, the potential buyers wasn't interested in styling that they incorporated in the truck, and the folks that were interested really couldn't afford a all but $50K single cab (younger buyers). I think there is a market for a single cab that is a version of existing trim levels, I don't however think that it will be a very large volume vehicle, I think it could be a success though.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
In my opinion, you guys are overestimating how popular these trucks would be. My gut feel is that the "gentleman rancher" or well-to-do seniors crowd mostly does appreciate the extra space of the supercab or supercrew. A lot of these folks have grandkids or dogs or whatnot that will use the back seat.

Around here, it's very hard to find any single-cab trucks that aren't fleet units.

I don't think Ford is making many mistakes at all in the marketing of the packages. That's no to say I like all the combinations, but where they aren't availible, I understand it.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:35 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
In my opinion, you guys are overestimating how popular these trucks would be. My gut feel is that the "gentleman rancher" or well-to-do seniors crowd mostly does appreciate the extra space of the supercab or supercrew. A lot of these folks have grandkids or dogs or whatnot that will use the back seat.

Around here, it's very hard to find any single-cab trucks that aren't fleet units.

I don't think Ford is making many mistakes at all in the marketing of the packages. That's no to say I like all the combinations, but where they aren't availible, I understand it.
No, as I stated in my above post, I don't think the single cab will ever be a large volume unit, however, I think they would sell more than they do now if they were to offer at least the Lariat trim. We actually have more than you would believe on the road down here that aren't company vehicles. As far a Ford's marketing, as I mentioned before, I believe they have studied demographics, sales numbers, etc.. and decided that it's not worth the financial outlay for them, I know they would sell more if they if had more than just base trims, just not sure how many more and if it would be worth it to FoMoCo, I mean they are in business to make money!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I love regular cabs and have owned several over the years. I would probably never purchase another one due to the resale value. The Tremors are nice and fit my needs more than my Raptor since it's only me and the wife most of the time, but couldn't justify $45k for one. Drive it off the lot and you would be lucky to get $28k for it. My local dealer ordered 8 Tremors and have sold 1 since they hit the lot in Feb.

Buy a Crew cab and it will hold it's value much better than a reg or ext cab truck.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:54 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ford has gone the other way it seems.

looks like in the 2015 brochure that you can even get an XL in crew cab now! Used to be as soon as you got a crew it wen to min XLT.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM
2015er
Junior User
That's why I love these discussion forums...you guys make some excellent points. I guess my preference for a well-appointed regular cab is somewhat out of the ordinary. But, I'll make one final point Ford is expending all this money pursuing technology to lower the weight of the truck - do a little exercise sometime and compare the body weights of regular cabs, extended cabs and crew cabs and you'll find that the regular cabs are about 700+/- lbs. lighter. If lower weight equals higher mileage than the regular cabs start to look pretty attractive.

Anyhow, I do applaud Ford for staying with a more-traditional extended cab. Ram and Chevy extended cabs look and feel like crew cabs. The Ford super cabs look and drive better by comparison. I think I will be getting a Lariat super-cab but I am waiting to see final numbers on gas mileage of the new 2.7 compared to the revamped 3.5 eco-boost motors.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:55 AM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm wanting to get away from supercab because of door rattle. If it was a pavement princess then it wouldn't be a problem. but I do 5+ miles a day on back roads to get to and from work. washboard gets pretty annoying with the doors the way they are..

Old 08-26-2014, 05:05 PM
wwilson43
Senior User
I have read someplace that the fuel ecomecy numbers will be based on the foot print of the truck. So as reg cabs have a smaller foot print the extended cabs or crewcabs that you will not see as many reg cabs

Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm 25 myself, I came closer then i would like to admit to buying a Regular cab last fall. It would have been a HUGE mistake on my part. I commute alone but after work and on weekend i always have at least 1 other person with me if not 3. This would have left the reg cab sitting at home well i drove my Expedition or Excursion. Luckily i held out for a Limited Super crew that has all the space i need…although i still love having my Excursion.

All of my Grandfathers friends, and my Grandfather himself drive pickups, mostly Fords and all of them have Lariat and up packaged super crews. None of these guys would ever think of buying less, they have tons of grand kids and haul stuff in the back seat area every so often. Although most of the time, they are like me and driving around with an empty cab..but they have more money then they need so it really doesn't concern them.

I like the idea of a high end Regular cab, but I have no use for it and can't think of anyone i know having a use for it. Hence why there are not many Regular cab trucks out there anymore other then Fleet use.

"It is better to have and not need, then need and not have"

Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
I agree Russ, as I stated earlier, I would purchase one as a SECOND vehicle, if I could afford it.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I personally hate anything larger than a reg cab truck, from my first truck to all my play mud trucks have always been reg cab Fords. My 04 in my sig i got because i have two kids but when its me the kids and old lady we always take the old ladies crossover WHY because you cant fit a four door short or long bed Super Duty ANYWHERE!!!!! Me and the gf are actually discussing on buying her a new crossover and selling my F350 and buying myself a new F150 reg cab 4x4. This way i have a truck for hunting etc and since we never use my F350 for family stuff we have a larger new crossover for her

Quick Reply: Upscale reg cab