Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Junior User

flatheadkeith is starting off with a positive reputation.
keith.pullias.9
Heater Help

Ok guys...I am stumped on this one...I have a 49 F1 with the recirculating heater in it. I have rebuilt the heater, with the exception of the heater core. I cannot seem to find one. I searched the forum as best I could, but could not find any answers. I looked in the parts book, and it appears that the part I need is 8C 18476-A. I have been searching for days, and can't find the part. Does anyone know where to buy this part? It is a different part number than the fresh air heater, and that one I can find everywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Stock Rebuild

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...y-of-pics.html
Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Kentucky Chapter Member

EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.EffieTrucker has a great reputation on FTE.
A good radiator shop should be able to rebuild the heater core.

I had mine done locally for $180. That might seem pricy, but like you I couldn't find a replacement anywhere.
Attached Images

Kentucky Chapter Member
Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
Contact firstrider, I'm sure he can help.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Junior User

blue_cloud is starting off with a positive reputation.
Honestly guys I'd check with a good NAPA store, as a previous store owner, I can tell you that if you get a decent counter guy there may be help there. They have an illustration book with photos and dimensions of heater cores, among other parts, you may not find one listed for the exact application buy you probably will find something with dimensions that will work. NAPA is a great source, it just depends on the counter guy.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Posting Guru

firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.firstrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This core is not available . Believe me I have searched . Best bet is to have it rebuilt . Some times one must suck it up & bite the bullet . Useable heater cores are the draw back on the heater restos . Have a few good ones & a stack of bad cores .Keep them for useable tanks & tubes . Good luck .
1994 Dodge Ram Van ( the work truck ) ,1993 Dakota w/ 44k mi.,1952 F-1 the 1ST-RIDE ,23 T-Roadster w/ 426 wedge bored to 440 (85 % done ) ,1952 F-1 stock (under const) "Those of you who think you know it all are really annoying to those of us who do " Mark Donahue or Roger Penske Indy '71
Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Junior User

flatheadkeith is starting off with a positive reputation.
keith.pullias.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstrider View Post
This core is not available . Believe me I have searched . Best bet is to have it rebuilt . Some times one must suck it up & bite the bullet . Useable heater cores are the draw back on the heater restos . Have a few good ones & a stack of bad cores .Keep them for useable tanks & tubes . Good luck .

firstrider,

Glad you chimed in! The core I had seems to be in good shape. I looked on the bottom and it is stamped 8/3/95, but appears to be in great shape. I usually like to replace them while they are out, but I inspected it to be safe. I put it in a bucket of water and put 12# of air in it. Bubbles came out around the output tube. There is a spot that was soldered there, and it was leaking a bit. I am going to try to braze it tomorrow, but I will take it to a radiator shop if i cant get it right away. I don't want to mess it up any more than it is. Now that I know it is rare, I will keep it on my watch list for parts. If I see one, I will rescue it. Thanks for the help!
Stock Rebuild

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...y-of-pics.html
Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM