Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 AM
New User

erwatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dropped Valve

I have a 2000 Excursion with just over 200K miles. A few years back the engine started making a lot of noise and running so rough that it could not be driven. I parked it in the yard and it's been sitting ever since. This weekend I pulled the valve covers and discovered I had dropped a valve. Yes there is a big hole in the piston but it doesn't appear to have damaged the cylinder walls. I don't know if either valve seat was damaged. I wanted to pull the head (passenger side) to get a full assessment of the damage. I'm not sure if it's possible to get to all the head bolts without either pulling the engine or at a minimum of loosening the engine mounts and shifting the engine. Advice on which path to take would be appreciated.
Tks!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Elder User

Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.
It is possible, others have done it.

It would be just as easy to remove the engine from the front and set it on the floor and work on it.

Start with the front bumper, grill and just keep working backwards. Fenders and hood and transmission stay in place.
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L ,Scan Gauge II, FICMrepair.com ATLAS 40 repaired FICM, Blue Spring Mod, Cleaned and Resealed HFCM(not a mod, but it should be done if you have dirt in it!) SRL tune by Matt, HellWig Rear sway bar, LoadLifter 5000 air bags.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
It would help to know what engine you have, since you don't have it listed.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 08-24-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Posting Guru

Apocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud of
llittle_llama
Where are you located? Finish your profile
Hellwig rear sway bar
18" F-350 wheels
Old 08-25-2014, 06:10 AM
New User

erwatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ooops

Guess I forgot one important detail - the engine is the 6.8L V10.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:58 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwatt View Post
Guess I forgot one important detail - the engine is the 6.8L V10.
Thank you.

Sending this off to the V10 forum where they can get you all squared away.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Elder User

speakerfritz is starting off with a positive reputation.
hole in piston means metal fragments in the oil sump. oil pump is designed to protect the oil filter so it is likely there is metal chip damage .

I read somewhere you can not pull the oil pan with out removing the engine and with out the oil pan out you will not be able to replace the piston with the hole in it.

also, I don't want to sound like an a$#, but last year I traded in a 2000 expedition with 70k miles on it which had a 1700 set of 22 inch rims and only got 1500 for it and traded in a 2001 navigator with 85k miles on it and got 3000. so not sure if I would spend a whole lot of time and money on repairing a 14 year old vehicle with 200k miles....might be better to donate to iron lung or something and get a write off.

Hellwig 7677Rear Sway Bar; Hellwig 61904 Pro-Series Helper Spring with Silent Feature; 2 ofRancho Suspension/Monroe RS999046 Rear Rancho RS9000; 2 of Rancho RS999042RS9000XL Series Shock; Rancho RS98510 Steering Stabilizer Kit; Dee Zee DZ43203Tailgate Assist Shock
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM

rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.
That old and hole in piston I would look for a salvage yard motor, 2000 to 2004 will work.

Denny
Retired 2000 F350 Lariat SC DRW V10 4.30 Gears BrakeSmart
Air Lifts 4X2
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)

Tags
dropped valve, removing head