Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
PBLPBLPBLPBL!

Click the image to open in full size.
It's happening.

So... for the uninitiated, I've been sharing images of my cab with the forum, to demonstrate possibilities of dash configurations and technology installation. I've got under-dash gauges, a touch-screen head unit, a chip, a tablet with Torque up and running, and a pretty nice aftermarket cup holder, milkshake-catching floor mats (long story), etc... which should draw all the attention - but that's not the case.

The beloved brotherhood notices not the hundreds of dollars worth of gee-whiz and fireworks - but they instead thoroughly flog me over the condition of my steering wheel. I must have at least ten grand worth of gofast under the hood that can turn knuckles white - but everybody's sweating what's under my knuckles. The condition of the freaking steering wheel adds (or subtracts, in this case) nothing to the drivability, performance, economy, or functionality of the truck - nor does it augment (or take away from) the features or creature comforts. It's freaking bling.

So... I've flipped the Buck$Zooka to full-auto lately, and I figured I'd throw a little bling in there while I was in that mode. I have a whole host of very boring-looking stuff going in the truck (can you say fuel line check valves?), but I'm going to share this as I take breaks from my weekend of wrenching.

Pull the plastic circles off the back of the steering wheel, and this is what's in there.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:05 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
You keep posting pictures of your girl with a rockstar hot body wearing a bikini, but she's missing her front teeth.

Just a little dental work is all we're asking.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Ford With Out Tax Money

snakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to beholdsnakedoc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
You keep posting pictures of your girl with a rockstar hot body wearing a bikini, but she's missing her front teeth.

Just a little dental work is all we're asking.
That is a great way to look at it
Matt PAA #117 99.5 F-250 XLT CC SWB 4x4 4R100 Warn M12000 GPR-LED. Foil Delete. 6637. 0.25 Cent. AC. Isspro Dual Pyrometer. AeroForce. FRx. HPx. DIY SS Fuel Lines. 03 HeadLights. 4" SS Exhaust. 6.0L Trans Cooler. BTS Tunes. Custom Lighted Tuner. IH Up Pipes. EPBV Delete. AIH delete. Gooseneck, AE Ford Bundle. Member On RHN
Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Senior User

greg_8507 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From time to time I miss having leather interior. Then another picture of your steering wheel makes it's way into another thread. I'm with you on the cost of a new steering wheel when it functions just as good as the day it was brand new. I'd probably opt for a cover and call it a day.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Well... as with anything else I do to Stinky, things got complicated.

Removal was fine, I used the 'ol Chinese-Irish steering wheel puller (about 12 bucks) and the wheel popped right off. The airbag didn't explode in my face either - I was almost disappointed how easy this was going.

I removed all the covers from the steering column, and this is when I find all the souvenirs from my milkshake adventure a couple of years back. The Key in Ignition switch failed somehow, and I couldn't figure out how it broke - so I wrapped in shrink-tube and zip-tied it inside the column cover. I was putting in the last screw, and it disappeared from the end of the Torx driver. After spending about 15 minutes looking for a black screw on asphalt, I hatched a fool-proof plan: I was going to go through all the trouble to fetch the magnet rake out of the garage, and I just knew I'd find the screw in plain sight. The plan worked.

I knew you guys would want to see what it looks like, so I had to do some additional cleaning to make the cab photogenic.
  • I cleaned the dash and gauges, so I could circumvent the ire of the Gaugestapo.
  • I thought about spray painting the fabric ceiling in case you could see the water stains in the reflection of the gauges (P.O. schlocky antenna install).
  • I Rain-Xed the floor mat. This makes the pedals too slippery to drive, but it looks nice (gotta have that bling).
  • Turn the wheel to hide the square hole in my dash from my old tuner control.
  • I color-coordinated the zip ties in the steering wheel to keep the Hue Police from blowing snot bubbles.

Well... after all that trouble, the sun is just too bright and the images looked like my grand daughter ran amok with the camera. I'll try again when Stinky is in the shade.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Nice job, who did the wheel? Did you cover it yourself?
Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Elder User

SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.
You could have just slapped a steering wheel cover on it and it would have covered it up.
02 F250 4X4 7.3, PC 6 ˝ lift, Centerline wheels, PC 37x12.50R-17's, Warn PP HD Winch, Jotto Console, Scanner, Icom HAM radio, 91 Gal. Aux fuel cell, Diamondback HD bed cover, Warn Hubs, dual steering stab, Step2 Bed steps, Warn FF, AIS, 4" t/b exhaust with Aero turbine muffler, backup buddy lights, Mag-Hytec diff cover & tranny pan, SGII, 6.0 T Cooler, ELF7405 with oil By-Pass, IH bellowed ups, Gen 2 FRx, HPx, CCV Mod, CAT ELC, ez down t-gate, Fumoto drain, Rev/Cargo LEDs, 4 pillar gauge with ISSPRO, DP Tuner
Old 08-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Posting Guru

Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hey Rich! You know what Fernando said " You don't have to feel good you just have to loook good " !! Can't wait to see it done!!

Smokie

BigRed 2
Face lifted
2001 F350 Dually PSD 4x4
Banks Equipped
DP Tuned
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

*Edit* This is the glamour shot. I confess, this is one time where I had to use Photoshop: I forgot to take all my excess keys off the ring, and that's all I need - everybody busting my chops with "Geez Tug, what are you, a Janitor?" With the time it would take to get the shot set, it was easier to "hide the keys from the guys".

Wheel wraps are like the girl with the missing tooth not smiling, because that's the easiest way to close her mouth.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Now you need to put some more wood in her to match the wheel! Looks great.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Now you need to get that lower gauge pod painted to match the dash. Since the steering wheel doesn't distract you it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
Now you need to put some more wood in her to match the wheel! Looks great.
I already have wood on the door, the wheel just adds to it.

The lower gauge pod will get attention when I can find the right paint.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 PM
Senior User

gengine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I guess I'm not like the others… I feel Stinky earned the scuffs on the wheel. But hey, the new one looks real good.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Posting Guru

Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.Smokiesman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well Shazmmm son now that's what I'm talkin about!!! It just seems to pull the whole inside of the truck together in harmony !! Where did ya get it? Looks the same as I got in BigRed!

Smokie

BigRed 2
Face lifted
2001 F350 Dually PSD 4x4
Banks Equipped
DP Tuned
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Senior User

retiredsparky has a good reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a good reputation on FTE.
Rich, great title for this thread, nice job and color choice too. Who knew you were that sophisticated to match complementary colors.

Oh and thanks for the ever-educational picture taking. You have enabled us all to have a wheel with "designer woodie" look.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel