PBLPBLPBLPBL!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
PBLPBLPBLPBL!

It's happening.

So... for the uninitiated, I've been sharing images of my cab with the forum, to demonstrate possibilities of dash configurations and technology installation. I've got under-dash gauges, a touch-screen head unit, a chip, a tablet with Torque up and running, and a pretty nice aftermarket cup holder, milkshake-catching floor mats (long story), etc... which should draw all the attention - but that's not the case.

The beloved brotherhood notices not the hundreds of dollars worth of gee-whiz and fireworks - but they instead thoroughly flog me over the condition of my steering wheel. I must have at least ten grand worth of gofast under the hood that can turn knuckles white - but everybody's sweating what's under my knuckles. The condition of the freaking steering wheel adds (or subtracts, in this case) nothing to the drivability, performance, economy, or functionality of the truck - nor does it augment (or take away from) the features or creature comforts. It's freaking bling.

So... I've flipped the Buck$Zooka to full-auto lately, and I figured I'd throw a little bling in there while I was in that mode. I have a whole host of very boring-looking stuff going in the truck (can you say fuel line check valves?), but I'm going to share this as I take breaks from my weekend of wrenching.

Pull the plastic circles off the back of the steering wheel, and this is what's in there.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:05 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You keep posting pictures of your girl with a rockstar hot body wearing a bikini, but she's missing her front teeth.

Just a little dental work is all we're asking.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:50 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clux
You keep posting pictures of your girl with a rockstar hot body wearing a bikini, but she's missing her front teeth.

Just a little dental work is all we're asking.
That is a great way to look at it

Old 08-23-2014, 03:01 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From time to time I miss having leather interior. Then another picture of your steering wheel makes it's way into another thread. I'm with you on the cost of a new steering wheel when it functions just as good as the day it was brand new. I'd probably opt for a cover and call it a day.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Well... as with anything else I do to Stinky, things got complicated.

Removal was fine, I used the 'ol Chinese-Irish steering wheel puller (about 12 bucks) and the wheel popped right off. The airbag didn't explode in my face either - I was almost disappointed how easy this was going.

I removed all the covers from the steering column, and this is when I find all the souvenirs from my milkshake adventure a couple of years back. The Key in Ignition switch failed somehow, and I couldn't figure out how it broke - so I wrapped in shrink-tube and zip-tied it inside the column cover. I was putting in the last screw, and it disappeared from the end of the Torx driver. After spending about 15 minutes looking for a black screw on asphalt, I hatched a fool-proof plan: I was going to go through all the trouble to fetch the magnet rake out of the garage, and I just knew I'd find the screw in plain sight. The plan worked.

I knew you guys would want to see what it looks like, so I had to do some additional cleaning to make the cab photogenic.
  • I cleaned the dash and gauges, so I could circumvent the ire of the Gaugestapo.
  • I thought about spray painting the fabric ceiling in case you could see the water stains in the reflection of the gauges (P.O. schlocky antenna install).
  • I Rain-Xed the floor mat. This makes the pedals too slippery to drive, but it looks nice (gotta have that bling).
  • Turn the wheel to hide the square hole in my dash from my old tuner control.
  • I color-coordinated the zip ties in the steering wheel to keep the Hue Police from blowing snot bubbles.

Well... after all that trouble, the sun is just too bright and the images looked like my grand daughter ran amok with the camera. I'll try again when Stinky is in the shade.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Nice job, who did the wheel? Did you cover it yourself?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
You could have just slapped a steering wheel cover on it and it would have covered it up.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Hey Rich! You know what Fernando said " You don't have to feel good you just have to loook good " !! Can't wait to see it done!!

Smokie

Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
*Edit* This is the glamour shot. I confess, this is one time where I had to use Photoshop: I forgot to take all my excess keys off the ring, and that's all I need - everybody busting my chops with "Geez Tug, what are you, a Janitor?" With the time it would take to get the shot set, it was easier to "hide the keys from the guys".

Wheel wraps are like the girl with the missing tooth not smiling, because that's the easiest way to close her mouth.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Now you need to put some more wood in her to match the wheel! Looks great.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now you need to get that lower gauge pod painted to match the dash. Since the steering wheel doesn't distract you it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Now you need to put some more wood in her to match the wheel! Looks great.
I already have wood on the door, the wheel just adds to it.

The lower gauge pod will get attention when I can find the right paint.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 PM
gengine
Senior User
I guess I'm not like the others… I feel Stinky earned the scuffs on the wheel. But hey, the new one looks real good.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Well Shazmmm son now that's what I'm talkin about!!! It just seems to pull the whole inside of the truck together in harmony !! Where did ya get it? Looks the same as I got in BigRed!

Smokie

Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rich, great title for this thread, nice job and color choice too. Who knew you were that sophisticated to match complementary colors.

Oh and thanks for the ever-educational picture taking. You have enabled us all to have a wheel with "designer woodie" look.

Quick Reply: PBLPBLPBLPBL!