Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 AM
ved0303 ved0303 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
ved0303 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1997 Powerstroke Lope on startup

Hey guys, I've posted this question to a couple of other forums and haven't been able to find anyone with the same problem, and no solution

When I first start my truck, it "lopes" or surges and will not stop until I hold the throttle at about 1000+ rpm for a couple of seconds. When you let go of the throttle, the rpms come down to about 500 for a second and then rise back and steadies out at its usual idle speed, 700ish. Once its running, it runs fine.

It is a 1997 with a ZF5 swap. I have changed the IPR, ICP, and CPS. I was told it could be the transmission range sensor from the E4OD, but I've ruled that out with troubleshooting also. Someone suggested I try a tuner, so I did and although I like the way it runs with the tuner it didn't fix the starting problem.

It also seems to be worse when the truck is warm, which makes me think its something electrical?

Please help me!

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM
williameub williameub is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 77
williameub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you use the PCM from the manual truck? If not, that's your problem.

Your PCM is searching for the TRS. There are quite a few threads out there that cover this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2014, 11:15 AM
ved0303 ved0303 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
ved0303 is starting off with a positive reputation.
would this happen right away? Because the truck ran for close to a year with the new trans before this started happening.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM
williameub williameub is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 77
williameub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ved0303 View Post
would this happen right away? Because the truck ran for close to a year with the new trans before this started happening.
Yes.

Did you use a factory ZF5 harness or did you splice the old E4OD harness?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2014, 12:03 PM
ved0303 ved0303 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
ved0303 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I left the harness as is. My reverse lights and cruise control don't work but I decided to live with it until I had more time to clean up the install. Does it sound like this is my problem? I am no master mechanic but love to work on it and am learning a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2014, 12:10 PM
williameub williameub is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 77
williameub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ved0303 View Post
I left the harness as is. My reverse lights and cruise control don't work but I decided to live with it until I had more time to clean up the install. Does it sound like this is my problem? I am no master mechanic but love to work on it and am learning a lot.
That is where I would start.

If you shift the TRS into Neutral, does the lope go away when started?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2014, 12:39 PM
ved0303 ved0303 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
ved0303 is starting off with a positive reputation.
no it didn't go away when i tried that. I might try it again just to be sure because it was a while ago that I did it. But I'm assuming its not that right now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Redneckmorton's Avatar
Redneckmorton Redneckmorton is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nederland, TX
Posts: 363
Redneckmorton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Redneckmorton
I have a very similar issue. I just replaced my starter (sluggish, wouldn't hardly start) and now i have issues with it loping, every once in a while, Mainly on a cold start.
__________________
Daniel Morton
1996 F-350 CCLB 4x4 1/4 Million Miles and still going
RSK with Atlas 1" springs sitting on 37" Toyo MT 6637, 4" Diamond eye, no cat, E-fuel, Heavy duty rebuilt Tranny, 4.10 gears, All new U-joints
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM
ved0303 ved0303 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10
ved0303 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine does it every time, and it is worse when the engine has been recently run and is hot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Harold_hinds Harold_hinds is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Harold_hinds is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ved0303 View Post
Hey guys, I've posted this question to a couple of other forums and haven't been able to find anyone with the same problem, and no solution

When I first start my truck, it "lopes" or surges and will not stop until I hold the throttle at about 1000+ rpm for a couple of seconds. When you let go of the throttle, the rpms come down to about 500 for a second and then rise back and steadies out at its usual idle speed, 700ish. Once its running, it runs fine.

It is a 1997 with a ZF5 swap. I have changed the IPR, ICP, and CPS. I was told it could be the transmission range sensor from the E4OD, but I've ruled that out with troubleshooting also. Someone suggested I try a tuner, so I did and although I like the way it runs with the tuner it didn't fix the starting problem.

It also seems to be worse when the truck is warm, which makes me think its something electrical?

Please help me!

Thanks
I have a 1996 f250 powerstroke and also did the zf swap and have the same problem lopes when I start no matter if it's warm or cold but steadies out if I hold at around 700rpm and runs fine still have all the automatic wiring and computer
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Gicknordon's Avatar
Gicknordon Gicknordon is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birdsboro PA
Posts: 710
Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
Mine used to do this. When was the last time you guys changed oil? Is the oil level low? The injector run off of high pressure oil, so make sure you have enough oil. That was my issue. I changed oil and it was fine after that.
__________________
Nick Gordon
1997 F-350 crew cab long bed 7.3 powerstroke
1988 ford thunderbird turbo coupe
1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Harold_hinds Harold_hinds is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Harold_hinds is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't think it's an oil problem in thinking it's a sensor of some sort was going to get a new IPR sensor and try that I have always run 15 40 synthetic oil
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-07-2014, 06:16 PM
fordpride's Avatar
fordpride fordpride is offline
Louisiana Chapter LDR
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Livoina,La
Posts: 12,903
fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold_hinds View Post
I have a 1996 f250 powerstroke and also did the zf swap and have the same problem lopes when I start no matter if it's warm or cold but steadies out if I hold at around 700rpm and runs fine still have all the automatic wiring and computer
It's because the PCM is looking for the trans range sensor.

If you still have the range sensor you can plug it back in and put it in the N position then tie it up out if the way
__________________
Mike
Click here to join the Louisiana chapter
2014 RAM 3500 cummins
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Gicknordon's Avatar
Gicknordon Gicknordon is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Birdsboro PA
Posts: 710
Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a very good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold_hinds View Post
I don't think it's an oil problem in thinking it's a sensor of some sort was going to get a new IPR sensor and try that I have always run 15 40 synthetic oil
I meant more oil level than oil condition.
__________________
Nick Gordon
1997 F-350 crew cab long bed 7.3 powerstroke
1988 ford thunderbird turbo coupe
1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Harold_hinds Harold_hinds is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Harold_hinds is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpride View Post
It's because the PCM is looking for the trans range sensor.

If you still have the range sensor you can plug it back in and put it in the N position then tie it up out if the way
Well that was an easy fix thanks man I love when you don't have to spend a bunch of money for nothin
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad PCM/IDM? maybe an injector? psd96 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 5 10-17-2012 09:08 AM
DP-Tuner Lope Idle deerslayer165 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 14 05-13-2010 09:13 AM
Engine loping / running rough at startup with Spartan ASE tune. cartmanea 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 5 01-20-2009 10:02 AM
Loping at startup tjbeggs 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 49 03-11-2007 07:17 AM
Aerostar Loping/stalling garoo Aerostar 7 04-03-2006 10:52 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup