6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mishimoto 200° vs. Ford 192° thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:40 PM
tim.moman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmclella
Finally got to get out for a run to try out the new stat. I was at 179, now at 185-187 ish. Better but not where I want. Going to get a new housing and try that.

It varied between 181-188 total throughout the highway drive. 25f ambient. Any ideas off the top of anyone's head why the big spread?
If the stat is not closing completely or you have bypass elsewhere, temp is load sensitive until you get above the heat dissipation of that amount of coolant flow. Or... Small load changes will cause change due to cooling off to much. once you work it hard enough you will see temp come up to running temp.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:29 AM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nmclella, from the pics above I don't think your thermostat is seating properly or fully.

Here's a pic of my mishi 200* thermostat in my '91 housing. You can see that the thermostat lip actually sits down inside of the housing just a smidge.
Mine runs at a pretty solid 198*.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:01 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Thanks for the pics shultz, I definitely think it's the housing at this point. I had to do some weird mods to the housing I to get it to even fit, so on Monday I'll pick up a new housing from Ford and be off to the races.

Thanks guys.

Cheers and happy Easter,

Nate

Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 AM
truckrider814
Posting Guru

Question for yall that already have em. How long did it take for it to get to your door. I bought one off of XDP because it was $20 cheaper on March 26th they took the money right away and a week an a phone call later i finally get a e-mail with an invoice no shipping date no nothing except to say that it's coming from the manufacture. No tracking number or anything. Now it's been another week and still nothing! I was just wondering if this was normal wait time or not. Im having the feeling like i should of spent the extra $20 an got it directly from Mishimoto.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM
92will
Senior User
I ordered mine through XDP and got it in just a few days. Even so it was the wrong one in the right box. It was a 185 degree in a 200 degree box.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:51 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Amazon, 2-3 days.
I don't buy a ton online. I will will usually do research online then call the company and do it over the phone.

In this case I did it in the evening and I was hoping the inventory showing on Amazon was correct, luckily it was. Same with the "91" housing.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Took mine a couple of weeks from XDP but they were back ordered and I wasn't in a hurry.

2006 F350 4X4 Mishi 200° tstat, IPR EGR delete/up-pipe

Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM
shultzaberger
Senior User
Amazon also. Got it in two days.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Mishimoto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by LiftedBlackHD
Fyi I installed a new factory Ford thermostat and I'm seeing 188-190.
Sounds correct for the factory thermostat!

Hey guys,

Finally got around to doing a flush and putting my new mishi stat in.

Things are not going according to plan...

I don't know if it is because I have the wrong housing, or perhaps even some sketchy chinese POS.

The old thermostat.

Comparison... Is the mishimoto REALLY this much bigger?

Mishimoto next to housing

The mishimoto is too wide for the housing... Is this normal? Should I just go get a new housing from Ford?

Thanks,

Nate
I had to file down the posts in order to allow the "wider" Mishimoto bracket
to fit. This is an "afterpic" to show how I had to file it down. I didn't think to take this pic before I had already boiled it and gotten it properly seated.

It didn't seat properly at first, I had to boil it.

It's now seated perfectly and opens and closes as it should. Back in tomorrow!

Thanks for your help guys.

PS - the housing cleaned up well in the boiling water. You're right about the hammer and chisel part, gave me a good chuckle there Rusty.
Finally got to get out for a run to try out the new stat. I was at 179, now at 185-187 ish. Better but not where I want. Going to get a new housing and try that.

It varied between 181-188 total throughout the highway drive. 25f ambient. Any ideas off the top of anyone's head why the big spread?
Thanks for the pics shultz, I definitely think it's the housing at this point. I had to do some weird mods to the housing I to get it to even fit, so on Monday I'll pick up a new housing from Ford and be off to the races.

Thanks guys.

Cheers and happy Easter,

Nate
Sorry for the delayed response on our part here Nate. It does appear that the thermostat is not correctly seating. My guess is that this oddball housing is the culprit as you noted. We have not had any reports of needing to file the portion which contains the “wings” of the thermostat. This would indicate that this unit is possibly an aftermarket piece? Any P/N cast into the side of the housing? Let us know how seating the thermostat in the new housing goes!

-John

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I'd get a new housing just based on the condition of the old one, man that thing looks like it was carved outta stone with a hammer and chisel. I haven't seen one where the cross brace didn't fit like that. It looks like the thermostat got warmed up and extended all the way. Warm it back up with hot water or heat gun and push the rod back in slowly before installing. Instructions were posted earlier in this thread. It does take a little more muscle to put the Mishi in than removing the factory one. As you can see the spring is a good bit beefier.
Thanks Rusty! Agreed on all points.

Originally Posted by 92will
Well it was about 75 degrees today and I got stuck in some traffic had idled through about 2 miles in several minutes and I was running 204.8 to 206.6. Every now and then it would drop to 203 but only for a second. Even after getting through the traffic and up to speed the rest of the way home, it stayed high. This is running totally unloaded. Now I did load Matt's SRL tune this morning, but I have noticed it running higher like this as the weather has been warming up.

We are picking up our fifth wheel next week and it will be the first time for me having a load (11k lbs) behind this truck since owning it. I am getting concerned about over heating. I do have a brand new Ford stat that came with my new housing, so I may be replacing the Mishi stat with it until I get a new one. I don't want to get into having to change stats all the time. I wish Mishi made one in the 195 degree area. I live in Tennessee and will see upper 90's during summer. I know they make a 185 temp stat, but then it would be a little cold for the winter, then Im back to changing twice a year. I would be better off to just run a Ford even if I had to replace it once a year.

Has anyone been towing heavy loads, with warm temps yet?
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
I was worried myself about warmer weather. I get stuck in traffic usually about 5 to 8 miles into my drive home typically. This week I pretty much lost my worry for now. In traffic like you I will hit 204 and it will stay until I've driven a good 5 or so miles then it settles back to 202. Without traffic it gets to 202 and stays. I really was expecting it to keep getting higher with the 80 degeee weather we've had but it hadn't yet.

Thanks guys! As noted by David, these temperatures are not entirely out of the ordinary. I would certainly keep an eye on things but would not expect them to exceed 210-215 during normal driving conditions. Your fan should be regulating temperatures at this point. Anything above 220-225 towing temperatures would also be a bit concerning. We have had a few folks towing in warmer climates without issues this far. Obviously the results will vary for each particular truck, load, and driving environment. We do not anticipate any issues for a high majority of these situations.
Let us know how this progresses!

-John

Originally Posted by shultzaberger
nmclella, from the pics above I don't think your thermostat is seating properly or fully.

Here's a pic of my mishi 200* thermostat in my '91 housing. You can see that the thermostat lip actually sits down inside of the housing just a smidge.
Mine runs at a pretty solid 198*.
Thanks for posting up these shots, very helpful! Great to hear you are enjoying the thermostat.

Originally Posted by truckrider814
Question for yall that already have em. How long did it take for it to get to your door. I bought one off of XDP because it was $20 cheaper on March 26th they took the money right away and a week an a phone call later i finally get a e-mail with an invoice no shipping date no nothing except to say that it's coming from the manufacture. No tracking number or anything. Now it's been another week and still nothing! I was just wondering if this was normal wait time or not. Im having the feeling like i should of spent the extra $20 an got it directly from Mishimoto.
Originally Posted by KDAVID1
Took mine a couple of weeks from XDP but they were back ordered and I wasn't in a hurry.

Originally Posted by shultzaberger
Amazon also. Got it in two days.
Sorry for the delay in receiving our thermostat! It does appear that we are out-of-stock of our high-temperature thermostats. A few of our vendors may still have these in stock. We are expecting another batch of units in our warehouse by the end of this week. I imagine your order will ship out either Friday or early next week!

Thanks
-John

Old 04-08-2015, 07:46 PM
92will
Senior User
Running empty today around 65 to 70 mph (2000- 2100 rpm) with outside temperature around 80, I had ECT of 204.8 to 208.4. EOT was running got as high as 214.2. This was with some hills (I live in East Tennessee, its impossible to find 15 miles of flat roads! Haha).

We are leaving tomorrow to pick up our fifth wheel in Ohio and bring it home on Saturday. I hope the temps don't get out of hand. I am taking a new Ford stat with me just in case.

The fan got up to 1900 rpm for less than a minute, but I didn't hear the "roar" I was expecting. Torque Pro is what I use. The rest of the time it ran around 500 or less.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:36 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Got the new housing and reinstalled the mishimoto with the right housing...

202 ECT 211 EOT on my first run... perfect! Very happy... up from 175 average ECT.

Top view

Strange thermostat in new housing

Difference in housings... I was very surprised

Mishimoto in the right housing

Not surprised now after comparing that the mishi didn't work in the old, seemingly aftermarket housing.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nate

Old 04-12-2015, 07:39 AM
92will
Senior User
Drove empty from Knoxville to north of Dayton to pick up our fifth wheel and mostly ran 206.6 ECT. When it hits 208.4, the fan ramps up and quickly drops it back down, but it did this a lot.

Towing 20k total gross, it ran the same temps at 65 to 70 mph except for hills. The worst was I-75 south leaving Kentucky into Tennessee (Jellico Mountain). It got to 217 ECT and 232 EOT. We were still maintaining 55mph or more. The fan was running full bore during that climb. We haven't even got to warm weather yet and I'm running 206 empty.

Is the fan triggered to ramp up at 208 ECT or is there more to it? I am wondering if I go back with a Ford stat at 192, if I can keep the fan from running as much?

Old 04-12-2015, 07:58 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 92will
Drove empty from Knoxville to north of Dayton to pick up our fifth wheel and mostly ran 206.6 ECT. When it hits 208.4, the fan ramps up and quickly drops it back down, but it did this a lot.

Towing 20k total gross, it ran the same temps at 65 to 70 mph except for hills. The worst was I-75 south leaving Kentucky into Tennessee (Jellico Mountain). It got to 217 ECT and 232 EOT. We were still maintaining 55mph or more. The fan was running full bore during that climb. We haven't even got to warm weather yet and I'm running 206 empty.

Is the fan triggered to ramp up at 208 ECT or is there more to it? I am wondering if I go back with a Ford stat at 192, if I can keep the fan from running as much?

Your results are exactly what I was afraid of. For folks like myself that tow, it will be a loss because of the fan constantly kicking in taking away power killing any of the fuel economy you hoped to gain. Plus the added wear of the expensive fan clutch. To me, this means no benefit to using the Mishimoto.
Last week I made the 12 hour trip to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and through the Smokys and my fan ramped up maybe twice at 214° and quickly settled back down to 192° on the Motorcraft thermostat. I run 75 and maintain 60 on the hills grossing 22,000. That week it was around 75 ambient temp.
For the sport truck non towing crowd it may benefit, but for me the Mishimoto is out.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:03 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's just going to get worse as we come into summer. Pulling long grades now with my 192° stat my ECT gets to 220°, it drops back down with the fan at full lock. My fan starts ramping up around 207°, with the Mishimoto the fan would basically be on the whole trip, for that reason I won't install it.

Plus it doesn't come with a housing

Old 04-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would suggest the nay-sayers at least give mishi the benefit of doubt (just not your money). Summer season is now approaching and there will be lots of factual posts about this soon enough.

Quick Reply: Mishimoto 200° vs. Ford 192° thermostat