6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Adding Garage/Gate Opener Visor

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM
mr. grieves
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Garage/Gate Opener Visor

I just picked up my 2015 F250 Lariat. Got Interior package and thought the Visor HomeLink or Car2U or whatever they are calling it these days was included on truck but wasn't. Easy to add? Just switch out visor? Plug and Play?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
While I have not personally done the upgrade, from what I recall here, it is plug and play. It pulls its power from the visor circuit.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
Yes. Plug and play. I've done it on mine. Took ten minutes. Danged expensive though. Then I had to buy an adapter for my door opener because it was too old to work with the Car2U thing. Odd, because my fiancé's 2013 Cmax Energi worked fine with the old door. I guess the Car2U (truck) works differently than Homelink (Cmax Energi).

Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 PM
mr. grieves
Mountain Pass
What'd you pay? Whole new replacement visor with opener feature basically?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
The car2u system is horrible. Nothing like homelink. Half the openers out there are too new or too old to work with car2u without buying a repeater. I would skip it if I was ordering today.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
The car2u system is horrible. Nothing like homelink. Half the openers out there are too new or too old to work with car2u without buying a repeater. I would skip it if I was ordering today.
and car2u can't make mine work. they sent contractor to add receiver to my gate. works with their remote. doesn't work with visor. Ford says if the visor lights light up, then the visor 'works'.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:40 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
Originally Posted by mr. grieves
What'd you pay? Whole new replacement visor with opener feature basically?
I seem to remember somewhere around $350 from the dealer for the visor. plus another $30 or so for the receiver adapter direct from Car2U. You may be able to find it cheaper someplace else.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:45 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
and car2u can't make mine work. they sent contractor to add receiver to my gate. works with their remote. doesn't work with visor. Ford says if the visor lights light up, then the visor 'works'.
Get a conversion module. That's what I had to do. https://www.learorders.com/orderlear.aspx?SellWhat=Kit
LearCar2U - Home

Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by F stock owner
Get a conversion module. That's what I had to do. https://www.learorders.com/orderlear.aspx?SellWhat=Kit
LearCar2U - Home
A conversion module is what he meant by receiver and what I meant by repeater. And you need to buy one for every door. I have three doors so I would need to buy three. The remote that came with the openers was free and has a handy clip to attach it to my visor...

Homelink works with everything. Not sure where Fords head was on this one... You shouldn't have to buy additional parts to make a "universal" opener work! Kind of like Ram coming out with factory 5th wheel prep that needs an adapter to connect to their hitch. Less than clever to say the least...

Old 08-24-2014, 05:15 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
A conversion module is what he meant by receiver and what I meant by repeater. And you need to buy one for every door. I have three doors so I would need to buy three. The remote that came with the openers was free and has a handy clip to attach it to my visor...

Homelink works with everything. Not sure where Fords head was on this one... You shouldn't have to buy additional parts to make a "universal" opener work! Kind of like Ram coming out with factory 5th wheel prep that needs an adapter to connect to their hitch. Less than clever to say the least...
Car2U provides a security control that Homelink doesn't.. guess somebody decided the security was a valuable difference.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:21 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Car2U provides a security control that Homelink doesn't.. guess somebody decided the security was a valuable difference.
Yes, there are huge numbers of Homelink break ins all over the news every day. Oh wait, there aren't any... LOL. Ford did it to save money. It had nothing to do with security. Come on....

Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Bigredtruk
New User
Visor with Homelink

I have an XLT that I bought off dealer's stock (not a special order) so the Homelink visor was not installed. Considering "upgrading" by adding a visor. Also heard it's just plug-and-play.

New Adobe LH Side Sunvisor w Homelink 2011 2013 Ford F250 F350 F450 F550 | eBay

But $300 is a little steep considering I have the garage door remote . . .

Old 09-06-2014, 09:34 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I was excited to finally own a vehicle with the built in garage door opener. I was soon extremely disappointed to find out I had to order, pay for and install a module on my opener to make it work with the Car2U system that came in my truck. My wife had always had Homelink on her vehicles and never had any issues with setup or use. At one point, Ford and Car2U had something worked out where the module was free. Of course, that stopped some time before I bought my truck and needed the module.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I would order from AutoNation directly or use them as the dealer on FordPart.com. Looks like the price is around $250.

I didn't realize that new SDs switched away from HomeLink. When I upgrade (not if anymore) I was looking forward to not having a remote falling of my visor every now and then. Considering my garage door opener is over 10 years old and I'm not going to pay for a new opener or a converter box I guess I'll deal with a remote hanging off my visor for awhile.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:09 AM
ronjwilhelm
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm new here and dumb on this stuff. What exactly does Car2U thing do (or home link) Thanks

Quick Reply: Adding Garage/Gate Opener Visor