Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Posting Guru

DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
You won't believe this!

Three weeks ago, I'm on my way to work. Mileage to work is 15 miles one way, about 20 minutes travel time and the OAT was 68°. 120,000 miles on the clock. Initially, after about 3 miles, I noticed no heat to get the fog off the windshield. Temp guage was moving but not like normal. Figured it was a heating system problem. Got about half way to work and the fan goes roaring. Looked at temp guage and it was not normal and was below where it normally is. Guage never got to normal operating temp. Had 4 stop lights to contend with and the fan is still roaring with no overheat condition indicated. When I got to work, I raised the hood and I could feel the heat. Saw a small amount of fluid on the ground. Looked under the front and the lower radiator hose was completely off. WOW! No coolant in the radiator or about half the motor. I thought the motor was toast. Let it cool down for 4 hours and filled with water. Started right up. Sounded normal. Drove home and everything was normal. Well, almost everything. About 5 years ago I studded the motor but did not change HGs and I had a slight puking issue before I studded the motor. All was good for about a year then I had a slight puking issue show up. As long as I did not stand on it and kept the coolant just so I could see it in the tank, when cold, it would not puke. Plus I would see a constant 20 lbs radiator pressure, even after the motor set overnight. So I had a slight HG leak that was manageable.

After running the motor hot, I no longer have a HG leak. The high engine temperature, experienced during that trip, finally sealed the HGs. No more puking, the radiator pressure lowers to zero overnight and my EGT is about 150° lower than normal. The motor runs great. My big concern was did I fry the FI seals. No indications yet.

I attribute the motor surviving and not coming apart to 5 things: it was a cool morning, the fan did what it was suppose to do, no sustained high speed driving (above 60 MPH), 14.5 quarts of Royal Purple 20W-50 synthetic oil and 1 quart of Archoil 9100 friction modifier. The transmission did not suffer any damage as it has 22 quarts of Royal Purple synthetic ATF (+4.5 quart deep pan) and 35 ozs. of 9100 friction modifier.

Will let you know if things go south.

Ed
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH Airbox, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA Cryos Front, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD 2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 160 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell SS Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Posting Guru

Per4mance has a great reputation on FTE.Per4mance has a great reputation on FTE.Per4mance has a great reputation on FTE.Per4mance has a great reputation on FTE.
You EGR cooler delete? and I would get anti freeze back in
1971 Corvette convertible 103,457 miles
1979 Corvette under Restoration 39,234 miles
Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
The motor will officially melt and distruct at 350 degrees. If you stay below that they may survive. I wouldn't test that theory to many times though.
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Elder User

BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.
You gotta love when they fix themselves..... It don't happen much.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Senior User

4x250cx is starting off with a positive reputation.
at sea on a boat we call it he F/M factor,a boaters best friend
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Posting Guru

DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
The motor will officially melt and distruct at 350 degrees. If you stay below that they may survive. I wouldn't test that theory to many times though.
That was the wierd thing. When the lower hose comes off a lot of coolant drains. I assume about half. With what coolant that was left in the motor, I thought it would make steam and send the temp guage out of sight. Niether the water or tranny temp guages went full max. In fact they never reached operating temp during the whole trip.

Ed
04 X LTD: 4X4, 6.0L, ROUSH Airbox, TAG, X3/Custom Tunes, Auto Meter EGT, FP & Boost Pilar Gauges, ARP Studs, NT EGR Cooler/Exhaust Flow Deleted, Zoodad, MBRP T-Back (No Cat), Bilstiens, Hawks, DBA Cryos Front, Prodigy, Remote Start, Fuel X Over Line, AD 2, Banjo Bolt Mod, PML Tranny Pan, Coolant Filter, 160 AMP Alt Upgrade, Red-Head Steering Gear, Landyot Radius Rods, Firestone Air Bags, Mag-Hytech Diff Covers, 2nd CCV Line, Russell SS Brake Hoses, Ed's FICM Update, RP Synthetic Lubricants, AR 9100 Friction Modifier.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM