Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my truck WILL not start someone please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:04 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck WILL not start someone please help

my 95 powerstroke all of the sudden does not start!!! im so lost iv put a new cam sensor and changed the fuel filter, and that was about 6 months ago. last week my truck out of nowhere wouldn't start and that week before I ran it dry on fuel. so it barley started and brought it home....I checked the fuel filter and it was gumed up with trash so I replaced it. so that morning it kinda hesitated but it started. I parked it today and it wouldn't start it just kept spinning over untili put a shot of either in it and it did that every time........I don't know what it is any ideas pleassssseeeee

Old 08-21-2014, 05:12 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trevorrules
my 95 powerstroke all of the sudden does not start!!! im so lost iv put a new cam sensor and changed the fuel filter, and that was about 6 months ago. last week my truck out of nowhere wouldn't start and that week before I ran it dry on fuel. so it barley started and brought it home....I checked the fuel filter and it was gumed up with trash so I replaced it. so that morning it kinda hesitated but it started. I parked it today and it wouldn't start it just kept spinning over untili put a shot of either in it and it did that every time........I don't know what it is any ideas pleassssseeeee
So it DOES start reliably with the ether? Does it stay running after that?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 PM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
My guess if it starts with ether is that you still had a bunch of trash and what not in the line. It could take a couple filters to get all the stuff out of it. Oil is lighter than water, and when you get bad fuel into the system it can be a nightmare to get it all out. Be thankful that its summer and not freezing temps of winter, that's when bad fuel really gets interesting, especially when a little gets to the injectors.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
Originally Posted by dixie460
So it DOES start reliably with the ether? Does it stay running after that?
yes it will run after the shot of ether runs like theres nothing wrong with it and i have to put a shot of ether every time i start it ..... it wont start by its self anymore.....did the trash cause it to not prim ?????

Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Huh... ok well in that case I'm just gonna shut my gator because I don't know enough about the 7.3 to point you in the right direction.

These guys can help you out a lot better than I can, and you might get a faster reply since this forum is specific to your engine:

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteelHorse4x4
My guess if it starts with ether is that you still had a bunch of trash and what not in the line. It could take a couple filters to get all the stuff out of it. Oil is lighter than water, and when you get bad fuel into the system it can be a nightmare to get it all out. Be thankful that its summer and not freezing temps of winter, that's when bad fuel really gets interesting, especially when a little gets to the injectors.
is there anything i can use to clear it up ????

Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 PM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
Well, depends on how bad it is. Check/Change filter again. Are glow blugs functioning as they are supposed to? What's the compression?

Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
glow plugs function like there suppose to , compression great, fuel filter looks new still

Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM
carguy94
Senior User
what about oil pressure high pressure. whens was your last oil change and guessing only makes it worse not saying you are just putting it out their. and the engine should still fire with out the glow plugs functioning I would think not always but should. not to ask to much but any idiot lights on?

Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
im only getting 10psi at start up but when it fires up I get 40+ psi

Old 08-25-2014, 04:37 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
as my fuel pressure

Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 PM
carguy94
Senior User
how are you checking fuel pressure are you using a fuel gauge. you need to test the pump first make sure it is not a supply issue with the mechanical pump. then check the regulator find out were the issue starts is it supply issue pump regulator or what. this is the original engine in your truck correct.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
I used a pencil style air gauge and put it against the shredder valve by the fuel pump, and yes this is the original motor , once its started up it runs and drives normal

Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 PM
carguy94
Senior User
you need a fuel pressure gauge not an air pressure gauge. should still work but you do not need hours of time wasted because you used the wrong gauge. have you checked return flow back to the fuel tank. and is your fuel system stock. sorry for all the questions but it seems like you either have a restriction problem in tank lines pump filter or fuel regulation you need to be checking pressure while driving.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:06 PM
trevorrules
Senior User
I tried looking for a fuel gauge and I cant find one! any links????..... every thing on my truck is stock besides it being straight piped .... tell me more about it being a return line I don't understand those really

Quick Reply: my truck WILL not start someone please help