Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help on checking codes with my AE on transmission

Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on checking codes with my AE on transmission

2002 7.3 auto tranny. No overdrive. Was gonna try to pull codes don't have a clue how or if I can even do it. Any takers??

Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by scottddove
2002 7.3 auto tranny. No overdrive. Was gonna try to pull codes don't have a clue how or if I can even do it. Any takers??
AE can read transmission codes provided you have the Enhanced Bundle. Just connect to the PCM as you normally would and then retrieve all codes.

What do you mean by "no overdrive"? is your OD not working, OD light blinking or something else?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:23 PM
scottddove
Elder User
It will not shift past 3 rd gear. 3000 rpm's at 65 mph won't shift into 4th. No blinking light at shifter either. Tranny has maybe 1000 miles on it. Been along time since I used the AE. Care to give a refresher on how to get codes?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
AE does an automatic search for stored codes any time you hook up, you just have to click "All" when the window pops up.

Without the Ford Enhanced bundle, you will be very limited.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Thanks tug. I do have the advanced bundle. I see u r still around. Have not been around for a while. Trucks been pretty much parked for a year now. Wife helped a friend move and discovered the problem today. Got to get my hands dirty I guess.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...I see u r still around....
Yeah... I got this "syndrome" thing going on. It's not entirely unlike a rash on my right butt cheek - I keep grabbing at that area.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:06 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Ok hooked up the AE. I got two codes that pertain to tranny. P0717 & P0715. Looks like I need to look at tts sensor. I was thinking there were two of these one in back and one up front? After further test driving it will go in forth but the slightest bit of throttle will put it back down in 3rd.I Let the man that built the tranny test drive it he is the one that discovered that it would go into 4th but any throttle and went to 3rd. He suggested the sensor. I pulled codes and got above codes. I think I am on the right trail. Also I do have a chip and was thinking this might be some of the issue.I have gear head tunes with 1.5 injectors. What do y'all think.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
If the codes are pointing to a sensor, that's where I'd start.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
P0717 & P0715. Looks like I need to look at throttle positioning sensor. I was thinking there were two of these one in back and one up front?
P0717 indicates the PCM isn't seeing a signal from the turbine speed sensor. P0715 indicates that the electrical circuit to the TSS is open. Why do you think it is the throttle sensor?

The turbine speed sensor (TSS) is on top of the trans near the front of the trans. There is an output shaft speed sensor (OSS) on top of the trans towards the rear of the trans. There is no code for this sensor, so I wouldn't touch it.

The code indicates that the electrical circuit is open. This could be either a bad TSS or a broken wire to the TSS.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:39 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,649 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
P0717 indicates the PCM isn't seeing a signal from the turbine speed sensor. P0715 indicates that the electrical circuit to the TSS is open. Why do you think it is the throttle sensor?

The turbine speed sensor (TSS) is on top of the trans near the front of the trans. There is an output shaft speed sensor (OSS) on top of the trans towards the rear of the trans. There is no code for this sensor, so I wouldn't touch it.

The code indicates that the electrical circuit is open. This could be either a bad TSS or a broken wire to the TSS.
or the lock tabs were broken when trans was removed and installed and it simply came un plugged.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 PM
scottddove
Elder User
I checked connections to both tss and OSS sensors found no issues. Ohmed out sensors got 4.2 at both sensors. Pulled both sensors cleaned swapped sensors and reinstalled. Test drove same symptoms are still there. I cleared the codes before test drive they did not return after. No flashing light at shifter. Now what.
What test should I perform with AE to figure this out and what numbers am I looking for?

Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Were you able to check the wiring up to the PCM?

Old 08-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I checked connections to both tss and OSS sensors found no issues. Ohmed out sensors got 4.2 at both sensors. Pulled both sensors cleaned swapped sensors and reinstalled. Test drove same symptoms are still there. I cleared the codes before test drive they did not return after. No flashing light at shifter. Now what.
What test should I perform with AE to figure this out and what numbers am I looking for?
Display Shift Solenoid 1, Shift Solenoid 2, TCC Solenoid, TC slip actual.

The shift solenoid values will tell you when the PCM is trying to change gears. I don't remember the exact arrangement. I think SS1=1 and SS2=0 is first gear. SS1=1 and SS2=1 is second gear, SS1=0 and SS2=1 is 3rd gear and both SS=0 might be OD. I am going from memory here so I am not all that certain. It will be obvious once you connect the AE and watch the readings....when one of the shift solenoid value changes, the PCM is requesting a gear change.

The TCC solenoid will tell you when the PCM is trying to lock the TC.
The slip reading will tell you if the PCM actually is locked.

Some '99 models won't have the TC slip choice on AE......if that is the case, then simply connect as a 2000 model year and it will then work fine.

Hope this helps.

BTW....swapping the TSS and OSS only works on non-PTO transmissions.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM
scottddove
Elder User
Thanks to all of you for the help. I will try the tests and report back. Should I put the tss and OSS sensors back to there original position? As far as I know mine does not have a pto. As for checking the wiring to the PCM not sure how to do that, I didn't perform any tests on the wiring harness except for a visual test right where they plug in.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Were you able to check the wiring up to the PCM?
Good question....that is the first thing I would have done based on Mark's post.

To the OP...
If you can't find any obvious damage to the wiring harness, then you can use AE to check the circuit but you will need some way to provide a specific voltage to the sensor connector. The Power Probe Hook is able to help in this case. If I suspect a wiring issue, I connect my AE and display the voltage reading of the suspected circuit. In this case, you would select the TSS sensor (Turbine Shaft Speed)....might also be called Input Shaft Speed on some scanners. Then unplug the connector from the sensor and set the Power Probe Hook to deliver 1.5 volts and clip it onto the appropriate terminal....(the one that runs to the PCM). I then look at AE to see if the value is correct. If AE shows 0 volts....then I likely have a wiring harness issue. If that reading looks good , then turn on the truck and measure the other wire....the reading there should match the VRS (Voltage Reference Signal), usually pretty close to 5.0 volts.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I think the TSS and OSS are hall effect sensors so they wouldn't have the VREF signal. So using AE to measure the voltage signal may not work. If you have the PP Hook, you can still send a 1 or 2 volt signal from the connector and then follow that wire to the other end and measure to see if you have the same reading. That would work I suppose....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help on checking codes with my AE on transmission