Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Senior User

jvmcc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jvmcc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rust Treatments

How, exactly, do rust treatments work? Permatex calls one of its products a "rust treatment". Some other products refer to themselves as "rust converters". PickleX 20 says, "it acts as a metal surface cleaner, rust remover, 100% rust converter, very long term rust inhibitor, pre-treatment/conversion coating and a sealer...". What exactly happens when these products come into contact with metal and/or rust? For what it's worth, I did apply PickleX 20 onto bare sheet metal truck cab after blasting it. The metal still looks great, even after sitting in my unconditioned garage for about a year. I do not know what happens when it reacts to rust, but it sure does a nice job keeping the metal rust-free while I get everything else ready to paint.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Freshman User

My Old Tools is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ross Canant
Do some searching on electrolytic rust removal or electrolysis. It works well and doesn't affect the underlying metal.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 AM
Elder User

dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think the converters make the rust into an inert material. It usually turns the rust black in color upon contact. I used Rustoleum's aerosol converter on several of my parts. Between 1-2 years old, and no sign of issues yet (I live in a fairly dry climate though).
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Postmaster

CharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to allCharlieLed is a name known to all
Rust is ferrus oxide...ferris or ferric refers to iron and oxide is oxygen. When iron and oxygen come in contact they form ferrus oxide. To remove ferrus oxide (rust) from metal you must apply a chemical that has a stronger bond to the oxide than does the iron. This is where the term "rust convertor" originates. There are many chemicals that will do this...phosphoric acid is what is found in most while things like molasses also work given enough time. I wrote a tech article some years ago on the HAMB on electrolysis for removing rust, this works especially well for smaller parts but I have seen instances where a pool was built to hold a motorhome frame that was treated using electrolysis. Other products such as rust inhibitors usually coat the iron/steel providing a barrier between it and the source of the oxygen.

I use KYB products to treat rusted metal. Three step process; cleaner, rust convertor, sealer. Many products on the market, the trick is to find one that suits your purposes. For me that long pole in the tent is using a product that can be sanded and painted with standard automotive paints.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I've had excellent results with Rustoleum rust reformer. It is available in aerosol cans and in a wipe on liquid. It is a thin liquid that will wick and penetrate into microscopic pits, seams, etc., it is great for use inside doors, cab corners, between panels and seams, on pitted metal. It has no effect on clean metal, but forms a hard black compound when it comes in contact with iron oxide aka rust. It should not be applied heavily, just enough to wet the surface. (be sure to wear rubber gloves when working with it, it will work on the iron compounds in your skin as well as it does with rust, leaving a hard black layer on the surface of the skin that must wear off. Once it has cured (completed reacting, it doesn't harden or dry, it is not a paint or coating) for 24 hours it can be primed and painted.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
This may be a dumb question, but I'm always full of those.
How big of a piece would you consider for the Rustoleum rust reformer? I'm working on my inner fenders and I started thinking about sand blasting (I would need to hire that out.) Would using the rust reformer be a valid option for something like that? Obviously sand blasting would be the best option, but if the cost is too high something like this might be an option. At some point in time, when the money is saved up. I will do body work and make the truck new. But for now, I want to drive it....I'm also kind of growing fond of the patina.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
If the panel has only a light even coat of surface rust, give it a sanding with a green nylon scrub pad to remove any loose rust and give it a coat of reformer, then a coat of primer followed by a color top coat all from rattle cans. If the rust is heavy and/or flaking clean it off as much as possible with scraping and with a wire brush then reformer it. be sure to follow the application instructions carefully.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Thanks AX, I think I will try that on one and see how it goes. I've got one somewhat clean so I will try that one. If that works well, I will continue with the other.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
Remember the reformer will react with remaining rust, will not affect any of the rust free metal, so if you have sanded it will come out blotchy, that's ok.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM