1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bed Removal ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Bed Removal ideas

Hi Folks,
I'm looking for ideas. I need to remove the entire bed from my 52 to work on the frame and also to work on the bed. I'm basically a one man operation so I thought about buying a engine lift from HF and use it to lift the bed off the frame, (once I remove the neccessary hardware), then make some kind of wood cart to sit the bed on to make repairs on it, paint it, etc then reverse the process to reinstall. Does this sound like a plan? Do you think it will work? Anybody do this already? Open to any and all ideas.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
It's really not very heavy at all. It's a 2-man job if you have decent strength. Four people can run with it. Do you have a neighbor who can help for a minute to lift it off and carry it over to your stand? I just wouldn't spend the money on an engine lift unless you need it anyway.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Engine hoist will work one end at a time but may not be easy to raise the whole bed at once without it swinging around. When I first started out as a teenager I would raise one side of a car body and slide a 2x10 plank under it so that the plank stuck out well past the frame on both sides. Then same on the other end. Put concrete blocks stacked up to hold up the planks, then one end of a time raised the body up a little more and added blocks until the body was high enough to roll the chassis out. I used a floor jack to do it, didnt have room for the hoist in the small garage I was working in. Reverse to lower it back down.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:44 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys. I hate bothering people I like to work on my own at my own pace, I guess that's why its taken 8 yrs and my truck is still not the way I want it.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently used my engine hoist to remove the bed from my 53 when I did a Tbird IRS swap. It is not easy to remove it that way if you can't roll the truck put from under it. The bed swings a LOT more than I expected. I hollered at a neighbor who helped steady it while I removed it and re-installed it. Now if You can roll the truck out from under it you would probably be fine.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM
04Z06Vette
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used an engine hoist with 4 cargo straps so i could adjust each corner independently. you can usually rent a hoist if you are near a bigger town

Old 08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's what I did, I got a HB chain hoist, used a length of 2" galvanized fencepost to spread any weight across my garage rafters. Ive used it to lift the bed, engine, bend x members, remove the hood , etc., etc., and its helped me as I too work alone.

Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Comments on what has been said. Being able to adjust the length of the straps or chains to keep the bed level is very important. Lightweight cable and cable clamps is an alternative to chain and straps. To keep the bed from swinging around out of control, attach a long stick to the bed and the other end of the stick where you can control the swing of the bed. The bed is not hard to control, you just want to be in control.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:07 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
thanks for everyones input. My bed has a very old rotten 3/4" sheet of plywood as a bed floor, not sure how its coming out but it will and soon.
Appreciate all the ideas and pictures.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered rigging a pulley system from your garage rafters? One for each side or one for each end. Run a rope thru your stake pockets. It's pretty easy, you can keep things nice and steady and since a bed is pretty light (I'm guessing 80ish lbs) it's not too hard to do yourself. Just a thought. Good luck. T

Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 AM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
Dennis, if you can get it loose from the frame I would be glad to give you a hand lifting it off
Ed

Old 08-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I built a quick roll around cart to rest the bed on. I used the casters off a cheap H/F moving dolly. I assembled it with screws and bolts so that I could take it apart easily. Problem is.....its so handy that I have yet to take it back apart.

As far as lifting the bed, I've got a hoist mounted to a beam in the ceiling of my shop and I use adjustable tie down straps that I can loosen or tighten to balance the bed as I lift it. I have used my engine lift when I can't roll the truck out from under the bed. Having a tractor with a loader comes in handy too.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Boomer61
Senior User
Originally Posted by dennisb56
thanks for everyones input. My bed has a very old rotten 3/4" sheet of plywood as a bed floor, not sure how its coming out but it will and soon.
Appreciate all the ideas and pictures.
Ha! Now that 'rotten plywood' part has a familiar ring to it. Same issue I had. In my case, the PO hadn't bolted the body back to the rails, so I just grabbed it and flipped it off. Used the hydraulic lift on back of my Farmall tractor to lift and haul it out back for the time being.

Weight is less the issue as mentioned, it's more the awkwardness. The hoist idea makes the most sense if you want to do it alone. Even a come-along should work. Tie off one corner to prevent swinging, lift it off, move truck from beneath, set it down on blocks, sawhorses, whatever works for you.

Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's one more variation on the one-man bed lifting operation with an engine hoist. Sure makes that operation handy. The bed rests on the framework (built with 1-1/2" angle iron and square tube and caster wheels) of an assembly table that does double duty for bed assembly and general work when I top the frame with 3/4" plywood.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:10 PM
oldwi
Senior User
Originally Posted by KGP50
Here's one more variation on the one-man bed lifting operation with an engine hoist. Sure makes that operation handy. The bed rests on the framework (built with 1-1/2" angle iron and square tube and caster wheels) of an assembly table that does double duty for bed assembly and general work when I top the frame with 3/4" plywood.
Here is my version of it. I made a simple frame to lift the bed off the truck with a cheap HF Chain Hoist. Once raised up I drive the truck out from underneath the bed and lower the bed down onto jack stands or saw horses to work on it. It worked well for me and allows me to remove the bed by myself.

Quick Reply: Bed Removal ideas