1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Good news!...and bad news...mostly the ABS being a pain in the a**

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I still haven't found that 2 prong plug to short out...

Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
also do I need to check the module behind the glove box?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
okay so I decided to get the multimeter and check the wiring on the ABS valve. Just testing for continuity.

I unplugged the plastic connector going from the ABS valve, there were 4 prongs recessed in the valve-end of the connection. They were grouped in 2s so logically I tested 2 on the left, then 2 on the right.

Well only 1 pair had continuity. Is this normal?

Also I unplugged the speed sensor in the rear and checked for continuity in the sensor, none. normal?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
Okay, found the test wire. It was not a 2 prong, and not just to the right of center. It was a singe prong connection right next to the ABS module behind the glove compartment. Took it apart, grounded it, got 7 flashes.

• Anti-lock electronic control module internal fuse blown or internal open circuit
  • Shorted isolation solenoid internal to the RABS valve
  • Intermittent short or shorted circuit in Circuit 599 (PK/LG)
  • Contamination or bent Pins 1 and 3 of RABS valve connector shorting together
Basically this narrows it down to an issue with the MODULE or the VALVE.

So next question, how do I test the module?
And how do I test the valve?
And how do I test the Circuit 599?
(i think I can handle the pin inspection )

Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
So does it go off when you use your turn signals too. And is your third brake light lit up dimly?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
nope and nope.

If I use turn signals it stays on. No other lights. Just the damn ABS defiantly staring at me.

I ordered an ABS module. $100, since the p.o. said he already changed the ABS valve I figured the module would be a good place to start.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Ok. Let us know if it fixes your problem. I have a similar problem but have not done any diging on it yet.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:40 PM
rusty1161
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Use the jumper mentioned above to pull the ABS codes and you can use the link below to decode them.

1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

Go to section 06, then 06-09A, then click on "Symptom Chart" in the Diagnosis and Testing section. That has the troubleshooting steps and links to the pinpoint tests you will need to figure out what is going on.

If they have, indeed, replaced all that then the only things left are the wiring and the ABS controller itself. I would try swapping out the controller if you have access to one to try or can find one used for cheap.

Also, for what it's worth, if you unplug the ABS controller behind the glovebox, the light will go out and not work any more. Don't ask me how I know this, lol.
Have you done this and checked for codes?

Rusty

Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
Originally Posted by HKmnU97
Okay, found the test wire. It was not a 2 prong, and not just to the right of center. It was a singe prong connection right next to the ABS module behind the glove compartment. Took it apart, grounded it, got 7 flashes.

• Anti-lock electronic control module internal fuse blown or internal open circuit
  • Shorted isolation solenoid internal to the RABS valve
  • Intermittent short or shorted circuit in Circuit 599 (PK/LG)
  • Contamination or bent Pins 1 and 3 of RABS valve connector shorting together
Basically this narrows it down to an issue with the MODULE or the VALVE.

So next question, how do I test the module?
And how do I test the valve?
And how do I test the Circuit 599?
(i think I can handle the pin inspection )
Yes I did do the procedure for error detection.
All 1997 7.3 HD models have the test wire behind the glove compartment though. Grounded it, got 6 short flashes and 1 long flash, totaling 7. Corresponds to the possible failures in the above quote.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM
rusty1161
Senior User
Originally Posted by HKmnU97
Yes I did do the procedure for error detection.
All 1997 7.3 HD models have the test wire behind the glove compartment though. Grounded it, got 6 short flashes and 1 long flash, totaling 7. Corresponds to the possible failures in the above quote.
Missed that post. I hope you find the fix soon.

Rusty

Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
My thanks for all the insight. if I have learned one thing from all this, it is this: (for anyone ever considering going to the "ford people" please read all of this)

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER trust a dealer ("the ford place").

In the past I have had mixed results but this one really sold me on stealership service dpts.

As I said earlier I took the truck to the "ford place" (the exact dealer will remain unnamed, UNLESS THEY DON'T REFUND ME FOR THE DIAGNOSTICS) and I specifically told the man, "run full diagnostics on the ABS system."

I do not think this happened... I waited for about an hour before they even took the truck into the shop, then waited another half hour before some *temporarily unnamed* kid came out and wanted me to follow him back. So I did. When I got to the truck, I saw no computers, no electrical diagnostic hardware of any kind. All he did was crawl under the truck and jiggle the speed sensor wires on top of the pumpkin and said "these here were loose."

SO he tightened them down and fired her up, still had the light! No change! Here is the following dialogue:
ME: "hey, when I was under there last, I noticed the ABS valve was a remanufactured part, maybe it has malfunctioned because of poor remanufacture? Is this common?"
FORD TECH: "...uuuh, yeah, that's what the computer was reading a shoruad fpj...mmmhrmm....herrmmerermm..." - walks off.

Boom, $149.00, and that is what I got.

So I went home. Spent about 2 hours digging around on the internet until I found enough details on doing the error code test myself, performed it, and found out the ABS module was bad. (pinpoint test L2 or something in the 1996 book, where you check resistance between Pin#13 in the module lead and the vehicle ground, got 4 ohms which means there is no short to ground in the circuit, or failing isolation solenoid in the ABS valve) had to be the module.

Anyone want to guess what the *temporarily unnamed* "Ford place" wanted to repair an ABS valve that WAS OPERATING CORRECTLY?
----> $1,064.68

Highway robbery without a gun. That is all I have to say about that. Sorry, just had to rant about that for a bit.

As far as my ABS issue, the module should be in some time this weekend or first of next week. All signs point to the module, so I really hope this does it. I will be sure to update everyone when I plug her in.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 PM
HKmnU97
Junior User
After driving today, the module WAS the problem.
Replaced it this morning, drove all day, no light.
The *temporarily unnamed* Ford place employs tards.
This forum was/is WAAAAY more helpful.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Do you have a ford part number?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No surprise. Doesn't seem to matter what make, or type of vehicle. Dealership service departments are "pediatricians", trained and accustomed to work on fairly new vehicles, no more than 10 or so years old. Think about their used lots; you never see a vehicle from the '90s on a used lot of a new car dealership. I own a '96 Saturn, of the line that went out of production in '02, and that community faces the same thing. The brand doesn't even exist anymore, so the closest thing to a "dealer" is a Chevy or Cadillac dealership that has become a "authorized service emporium" (or whatever they're calling it) for Saturn. They might have hired in a few Saturn mechanics when the dealerships shut down years ago, but they're eventually retiring / resigning.

Let's face it; like the S-Series Saturn community, we're driving "vintage" trucks, and you need to find mechanics who specifically know vehicles, esp. diesels, of our "vintage". If you're lucky, you'll find a fellow who retired from the local Ford dealership around the turn of the century, and couldn't stand retirement and hung his own shingle. And of course, the forums, this one and many others, are absolute gold mines.

Walk into the 10 Ford dealerships nearest to you, head back to the service counter, and ask the writer-upper if he knows what OBS stands for. How many of them do you think would have a clue what you're talking about?