Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 PM
New User

Robb Kiker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Kind of daydreaming on best build:
Since the truck is so short coupled, may work as a tow vehicle for horse trailer, light fifth wheel (camper). With the extra seatting, can take more campers, riders.
Probably have to update drivetrain, brakes, axles, etc. for highway speed and safety. I have access to 2 F350s with powerstrokes and complete drivetrain axles, etc. assume with the larger body and frame, it would not be as much as a challenge as say a F1 or F2 conversion.
Any other trucks of this vintage converted to such use?

Opinions, input and experience appreciated.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:33 PM
New User

Hey:

Leaning more toward a dedicated tow vehicle for horse trailer/camper with fifth wheel and gooseneck applications.

Anyone else have a truck so designed?
Any opinions?

After researching and reading the horror stories in other threads, doing away with idea of cab/frame swap and looking to transfer engine, trans, axles, brakes, etc. from F250 power stroke.
Any experience or opinions on this swap?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Elder User

DR Smith has a good reputation on FTE.DR Smith has a good reputation on FTE.
Glad someone saved this truck . I posted pictures of it 2 weeks ago [ north Ga rust ] . I found that truck about 4 years ago , It was parked on the other side of the road . Did you ever get into the junk yard across the main road ? I was there when they where selling out, and all cars and trucks where priced at scrap value . I wanted the WWII half track the had but just couldn't figure out what to do with it .
Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM
New User

That was the McAlister junkyard. The current owner is the son Alphus.

I was also interested in some of the vehicles but the Estate of Harold McAlister bid the materials as a whole. So you had to buy everything to get anything.

May could have worked with the Salvager put it was a big company and did not seem they were interested in parting out any of the scrap.

Did you trade on any of the trucks in Cleveland? I saw them and thought about stopping but then Alphus and I got right on this truck.

He had stored it on my property every since he bought it back. Had sold it to a guy in Canton, GA but fella came down with cancer and Al agreed to buy it back to help him out.

Still wondering if anyone has a truck of similar vintage using it as a gooseneck or fifth wheel tow vehicle. Would like some input or suggestions.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Senior User

79 Crewcab 4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the back door looks like a front door- flipped side to side, then has the angle part of the window frame cut off and another round one stuck on. It's rough, but I can't say as I've seen another one and definitely want to see it fixed up. Those rear door panels are quite luxurious.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:20 PM
New User

Hey Doc. Reread your post and guess you had info superior to me.

I was told by the owner that it bid as a whole and did not have opportunity to purchase individual items.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM
New User

I agree 79. The fit and finish on the doors, including the rear, is very good.
smooth, tight and feels like factory. I would hate to have to duplicate it!

Probably moving over to the diesel forum. Not sure it is really the place, but need some opinions or advice on taking apart a modern F250 with a 7.3 and adapting it to this truck.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Elder User

dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Don't flame me, but here is a custom build of the same idea, just different brand.

Big Bertha Build thread x2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network
Old 08-24-2014, 08:37 PM
New User

Hey dmack:

Thanks a lot for the reference. Any help is appreciated.

This proposed project does not seem interesting to the group for discussion.
Maybe some interest from the bow tie crowd
Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Elder User

DR Smith has a good reputation on FTE.DR Smith has a good reputation on FTE.
I did a 1950 Dodge pickup to a 1988 Ram 1500 swap . It went real easy , front cab mount bolts dropped right into the 88 frame mount . Take lots of measurements , and think it all out before you start . Using a newer frame and suspension saves lots of $ . I also think the Ideal of a fifth wheel hauler would work out fine .
Old 08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Post Fiend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
Don't flame me, but here is a custom build of the same idea, just different brand.

Big Bertha Build thread x2 - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

This guy has done an awesome job on on that Chevy.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Elder User

Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.Gicknordon has a good reputation on FTE.
gicknordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Kiker View Post
Hey dmack:

Thanks a lot for the reference. Any help is appreciated.

This proposed project does not seem interesting to the group for discussion.
Maybe some interest from the bow tie crowd
I dont speak for everyone but i would love to see your build should you continue with it. Im not sure where you got that we wouldnt be interested.
1948 F-1 project 429 big block
Build thread for 48 http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...9-ford-f1.html
Photobucket album for 48 http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/...don/49%20ford/
Old 08-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Post Fiend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I'm also interested in your build so please don't leave us.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks