1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cranks over won't start! (revisited)

Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cranks over won't start! (revisited)

I realize this thread has been started several times, I've read them!
For a little confusion I'll throw in that the 5.8L is from a '94 F150, Engine wiring harness is from a '90 F250 (5.8L) EEC is from same F250.
This is the first start up in it's new home. I have been through the harness at least 4 times and all EEC to sensor/component has continuity through the connectors. The F250 ran when I pulled engine and EEC. I have gone through all the initial startup double checks and troubleshooting procedures.
Checked firing order, there is fuel at the rail and has 35 psi pressure, timing is set to *10 btdc while cranking with spout connector removed. It has spark and enough to almost give me a heart attack at that. Something is not right yet but can't figure out what yet.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ok so your using the 94 5.8 motor in your bronco.

2 questions, why are you using the F250 harness and computer? do you still have your original wiring harness? do you also have your original EEC?

are you using the distributor from the 94 motor and if so you must have gone to the remote mount tfi module correct?

when I did my 5.8 swap on my previous 88 bronco I used my 5.0 wiring harness (wrapped up the knocksensor). I had to find a tfi mounted 5.8 dizzy and remove the cam gear and swap the 94 5.8 dizzy cam gear onto it. I also purchased a 5.8/C6 eec. bronco ran great with no issues.

I am wondering if perhaps your using the incorrect color TFI module. there is a difference

Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
ok so your using the 94 5.8 motor in your bronco.

2 questions, why are you using the F250 harness and computer? do you still have your original wiring harness? do you also have your original EEC?

are you using the distributor from the 94 motor and if so you must have gone to the remote mount tfi module correct?

when I did my 5.8 swap on my previous 88 bronco I used my 5.0 wiring harness (wrapped up the knocksensor). I had to find a tfi mounted 5.8 dizzy and remove the cam gear and swap the 94 5.8 dizzy cam gear onto it. I also purchased a 5.8/C6 eec. bronco ran great with no issues.

I am wondering if perhaps your using the incorrect color TFI module. there is a difference
I replaced dizzy to an older Tfi unit. EEC needed to match drive train, 5.0-5.8 swap. Once upon a time it had the e4od as well. Now it's a Zf. I thought hard on this and suspect the fuel injectors are not firing like they should. Can I test with a regular light? Should the light pulse when cranking?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
I believe you can use a test light on the injectors. the injector wiring should have been same and only the dizzy firing order would be different between the 2 engines

it wouldn't hurt to try your 5.0 eec or your original harness. everything is the same minus the knock sensor which is no big deal.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:06 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
I believe you can use a test light on the injectors. the injector wiring should have been same and only the dizzy firing order would be different between the 2 engines

it wouldn't hurt to try your 5.0 eec or your original harness. everything is the same minus the knock sensor which is no big deal.
Knock sensor, power steering pressure switch, not being used. Just for giggles I switched the 2 wires coming from the injectors. Pulling the 5.8 harness off is last resort.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
perhaps the eec is the problem, did you ever try a different one? any 88-91 5.8/c6 ecu will work

Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Forward progress! Shot some starting fluid into intake and it fired and ran, breifly. This efectively elimanates ignition trouble. Since I have fuel and pressure at the rail I pulled an injector plug and installed a small light bulb, nothing, because I have voltage at the injector plug, it's a ground/EEC problem. I'll try the 5.0 EEc after work tommorow, if it's not raining. If it fires then I'll get a new one.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
progress!!

Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Swapped out the EEC for the 5.0 EEC I had taken out. Engine cranks, Dizzy sparking, Fuel injectors still not working. The test light on #5 injector says there is power, 12V, but there is nothing across the terminals. Red wire comes from pin 37 and 57 on the EEC, goes to the injectors,and returns on tan/orange- white- pin 59 on EEC for 2,3,6and7. Tan/red-tan to pin 58 on EEC for 1,4,5and 8. Pin 20 grounds the EEC. Am I missing something here?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
sounds like the harness could be messed up. how about installing your previous 5.0 harness.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,155 Likes on 913 Posts
Got your PM this morning, looking through the info in this thread and your PM leads me to a few key items to look at. Let me say you have a quite a mess on your hands.

Since your injectors are not firing I suggest you verify the PCM (EEC) is getting the PIP signal from the distributor/ICM. This signal is on Pin 56 of the PCM connector. The PIP signal provides the trigger for the ignition and for the PCM to fire the injectors. I realize you have spark but if the PIP is not getting to the PCM the injectors will never fire and the fuel pump will not stay running.

Your statement about the wire for Pin 30 on the PCM connector could be an issue once the PIP/injector issue is resolved. That blue/white wire comes from the start circuit to tell the PCM the starter is engaged and the NSS is in neutral/park. The same "start" signal is sent to the ICM too. IIRC it triggers a longer dwell cycle time during cranking.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Originally Posted by rla2005
Since your injectors are not firing I suggest you verify the PCM (EEC) is getting the PIP signal from the distributor/ICM. This signal is on Pin 56 of the PCM connector. The PIP signal provides the trigger for the ignition and for the PCM to fire the injectors. I realize you have spark but if the PIP is not getting to the PCM the injectors will never fire and the fuel pump will not stay running.
DING DING DING!!!! we have a winner!
I went back to the harness and checked, IGN ground and PIP from dizzy were turned around. Straightened that out and engine fired up and I let it idle till I reset advance on dizzy. I have some wiring to relocate away from the exhaust before it melts and causes big trouble.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
Originally Posted by rla2005
Got your PM this morning, looking through the info in this thread and your PM leads me to a few key items to look at. Let me say you have a quite a mess on your hands.

Your statement about the wire for Pin 30 on the PCM connector could be an issue once the PIP/injector issue is resolved. That blue/white wire comes from the start circuit to tell the PCM the starter is engaged and the NSS is in neutral/park. The same "start" signal is sent to the ICM too. IIRC it triggers a longer dwell cycle time during cranking.]
AS for the other wire, it is blue/yellow not blue white, We'll see how it runs down the road in a few days.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,155 Likes on 913 Posts
Glad to see you got it running. The Pin 30 wire color may be different from the diagrams I have. I will look around for another to verify.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
I want to order a book but my paycheck said not this week. Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 Bentley GFF9. It sounds like an in depth manual on all the wiring in those years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine cranks over won't start! (revisited)