6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking at buying a 2006 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:38 PM
mattrourke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at buying a 2006 6.0L

Hi everyone,

Came here for some assistance. I'm looking at buying a 2005 (oops on the title) F350 with 250k KMs or about 150k miles on it. I've done a fair bit of research as far as the standard 6.0l issues and tried to book an appointment with a diesel mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection but that isn't going to happen. The truck is a 7 hour drive away from me and most mechanics aren't open on weekends. As far as the general checking the brakes, suspension, body, interior i'm good at looking over that stuff. As for the engine and transmission, are there checks i can do when looking at it/test driving. I have posted the listed upgrades and repairs that he has told me and will check the coolant and watch the gauges as per the posts i've read about what the readings should be. What else can i do to avoid buying a boat anchor?

copy and pasted:
Bulletproofed with ARP head studs, EGR delete, HPOP, AmsOil bypass system
Custom tuned SCT programmer, edge insight gauges
MBRP turbo back dual exhaust with drop pipe
AIrraid fibreglass ram air hood with AIrraid cold air intake, AFE intake manifold
ICON 4.5 inch lift. New 35" tires on 20" rims
RECON projector headlights, mirror lights, clearance light, HID fog lights
Aluminum headache rack and dry box. Also have a matching power tonneau cover with power locks etc.
2 way pager alarm and remote start
Pioneer DVD with navigation, backup camera, phone, iPod hookup. 10" sub
Heated leather seats, sunroof, power rear slider

thanks for the help!

Last edited by mattrourke; 08-20-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: my horrible spelling.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
What's the price on it? Otherwise it sounds like everything is done that's needed other than a few updated parts that could go in, but if it ain't broke don't worry about it yet.

Bringing a scangauge II with you to check for a plugged oil cooler could help, make sure it doesn't overheat and make sure there's no signs of puking because believe it or not ARP studs isn't a fix all/end all head gasket saver

Old 08-20-2014, 07:26 PM
mattrourke
New User
Originally Posted by Jmoen7
What's the price on it? Otherwise it sounds like everything is done that's needed other than a few updated parts that could go in, but if it ain't broke don't worry about it yet.

Bringing a scangauge II with you to check for a plugged oil cooler could help, make sure it doesn't overheat and make sure there's no signs of puking because believe it or not ARP studs isn't a fix all/end all head gasket saver
price is $15,500 obo Canadian. I'm set to drive down to look at it on the weekend and likely won't be able to get a scangauge by then, is there anything I can read with my obd2 scanner? I'll try and track down a scangauge though. As far as puking goes, I'm looking for white smoke as a result of coolant blowing past the head gasket? Obviously with the chip and aftermarket exhaust I may see some black smoke.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
You'll for sure see black smoke. Sounds like a good deal to me, i payed 11,900 canadian for mine and got significantly less in the upgrades.

If you can't track down a scangauge the only thing you'll be blind to is the oil cooler condition and FICM condition, which may or may not be a big deal to you.
Also make sure the truck is stone cold when you start it and make sure everything sounds okay and it doesn't stutter idling for a few moments (FICM/Inj. Issues)

Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 PM
mattrourke
New User
You'll for sure see black smoke. Sounds like a good deal to me, i payed 11,900 canadian for mine and got significantly less in the upgrades.

If you can't track down a scangauge the only thing you'll be blind to is the oil cooler condition and FICM condition, which may or may not be a big deal to you.
Also make sure the truck is stone cold when you start it and make sure everything sounds okay and it doesn't stutter idling for a few moments (FICM/Inj. Issues)
Thanks for the info. Taking his word at face value, of course, he said the injectors are all fine. I'm not too scared of the FICM as it can be rebuilt/reconditioned for reasonable cost other than downtime and the oil cooler replacements are reasonable price and doesn't look too scary to pull it out. I think if it isn't done as part of oil bypass kit, I will add a coolant filter ASAP.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
The AmsOil bypass kit isn't bypassing the oil cooler if that's what your thinking, it's just allowing some oil to bypass the cooler to go through a 5 micron filter to clean your oil up a bit. Not even an issue to begin with if you do regular oil changes.

Basically look it over your best, can probably tell more about the trucks condition by the way the guy acts more than anything.
Ask questions and try to catch lies, it's fun

Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 PM
mattrourke
New User
The AmsOil bypass kit isn't bypassing the oil cooler if that's what your thinking, it's just allowing some oil to bypass the cooler to go through a 5 micron filter to clean your oil up a bit. Not even an issue to begin with if you do regular oil changes.

Basically look it over your best, can probably tell more about the trucks condition by the way the guy acts more than anything.
Ask questions and try to catch lies, it's fun
I meant if the coolant filter wasn't installed as part of the amsoil kit as I know some oil bypass kits also have the coolant filter, I would install one. Yeah, the guy seems decent so far, he's still using the truck as his daily driver which I prefer to see over one that's parked for sale.