CorBan 22 - any of you ever heard of this rust inhibitor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CorBan 22 - any of you ever heard of this rust inhibitor?

So I'm in an old warehouse for work, and I see about 12 aerosol cans of this stuff in a box. The owner doesn't really know too much about it, but says I can have it. I did some research on the internet, and it sounds like it is used in the airline industry to coat exterior surfaces for it's rust inhibiting qualities. It says it's a "long lasting, high penetration, water displacing, corosion inhibiting compound that is soft and self-healing" (I think that means it never dries completely, but stays tacky). It says in lab tests, it withstands "4000 continuous hours of salt spray". I'm thinking of using this on some under carriage/frame on my truck. What do you guys think? Here is a pic and a Description/properties/usage sheet from the company:

Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Cor-Ban-22.pdf.pdf (52.7 KB, 198 views)
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
It sounds like it is similar to Cosmoline

Old 08-22-2014, 11:42 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
It sounds like it is similar to Cosmoline
Not knowing what Cosmoline is, I looked it up. It does sound very similar - except for a couple things:
1) Cosmoline is a oily/waxy substance that can easily be wiped off if needed, and
2) While both inhibit rust, the Cor Ban-22 specifically says it "displaces Water". For some reason, that sounds like an important distinction.

The filler tube on my rear tank rusted a hole through, so i picked up a "new" one at a pick-n-pull. I'll prep that and try out the CorBan-22 on that first since it's such a small piece.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Cosmoline isn't "easily wiped off". Not sure if it's around anymore, probably been effectively banned at a guess. As may be the case with this stuff here. Should work fine for your purpose. One problem with old aerosol stuff is the propellant leaks and then it's no good for use.

What may help though if you can find the MSDS or CAS #s and such, maybe a NSN equivalent find out what the specific application is and what it's good for.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-22-2014, 12:29 PM
mefast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
What may help though if you can find the MSDS or CAS #s and such, maybe a NSN equivalent find out what the specific application is and what it's good for.
If you're looking for an NSN, WebFLIS is a good resource.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I'm not, no. But maybe there is one on the can he can cross reference with. This looks to be a nice score in that it's kind of expensive usually. Better than a kick in the pants anyway.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:31 PM
mefast
Senior User
This looks to be a nice score in that it's kind of expensive usually. Better than a kick in the pants anyway.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me instead of a frontal labotomy.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I will second "easily wiped off" is NOT true. That is what comes on these frames to begin with. They used it very sparingly but that is what ford used along with GM and chrysler. It does not last Forever and needs to be reapplied every other year of so.

Put it this way. The US government uses it to put things in storage. That tells me it is probably the best thing money can buy

Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 AM
joegeds
Elder User
Cosmoline isn't "easily wiped off".
I had never heard of the stuff, and got this from Wikipedia:
Cosmoline that is fairly fresh, or that has been hermetically sealed in a plastic bag or shrink wrap, remains a grease-like viscous fluid, and mostly wipes off with a rag, leaving only a thin film behind. Cosmoline that is older and has had air exposure usually solidifies after a few years, as the volatile hydrocarbon fraction evaporates and leaves behind only the waxy hydrocarbon fraction. The solid wax does not readily wipe off. It can be scraped off, although the scraping is laborious and leaves crumbs to be swept or vacuumed away.

But the cosmoline website says it dries hard and waxy relatively quickly and must be removed with mineral spirits or remover solvent. Guess I would believe the website over Wikipedia!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Ford247
Freshman User
Cosmoline is what you will find on import rifles for example. SKS's, SK47's, Mosin Negants were all stored covered in Cosmoline by the Russians. Buy an unused Mosin and you'll see it. Easy is a relative term. Cosmoline comes off easy with WD40. Get it out of wood with a heat gun and a rag. I cleaned an SKS in about 30 mins. Pretty easy. It's like a waxy greasy substance. It displaces water just like you expect any waxy greasy substance to do.

The stuff you have in the can sounds useful. I would try it in a small area in case it ends up being too sticky. It would suck trying to do repairs or an oil change with a sticky under carriage. Same with an under carriage covered in cosmoline.