6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

summer trip..final report

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
summer trip..final report

Got home saturday. Washed and waxed truck over the week end and it looks good as new except I got a rock chip on the door right in the middle of my 600 dollat tri coat. Grrrrr.

Total miles for the trip were 2979. Fuel cost was 1100 buckeroos but there is a bit left in the tank.

There were no issues of any kind on the truck. It did very well in all phases except for parking and hooking up the trailer. I just cannot see over the middle head rest in the back. I'm gonna see if I can get it off. I wish I could say the same for the 5er, I think I found and corrected my roof leak but I have a rear spring sagging so it's off and the parts are ordered to re-spring the rear axle. That's hard dirty work for an old man but it had to be done. i blame myself for towing it with the pin slightly elevated which puts more weight on the rear axle of the trailer.

MPG non-towing varied from 12.6 to 16.1 on the computer. About what I expected and it got much better when i had some lengthy 55MPH runs.

I shut off the auxiliary tank and hand checked the towing mileage on the way home. Coming throught the mountains (mole hills for y'all in CO.) from Charlottesville VA to knoxville TN I had 10.0 on the computer, it hand checked at 9.3. Ugh..not much better than the 6.4 was stock and this is a 3.73 rear axle compared to a 4.30.

On a mostly flat run from knoxville to ATL I got 11.1 on the computer and hand checked at 10.2 which I will take given the trailer weight and size.

I now vow to never check it again as there is nothing I can do about it anyway.

Regens during in town driving were frequent. However, for the most part they were non-events. I did not alter what I was doing even when I knew it was in a regen. If I was wanting to stop and park, I did. The regens are much more passive than the 6.4 was. It almost never regens during towing. I have the EDGE insight and after the tow home it is now showing 497 miles average distance between regens.

The vibration on take off towing has gotten a lot less robust. I have no way to account for that but it is so. Senix if you read this the bumper came up 3 inches when I took the trailer weight off. I guess air bags would help, I'm thinking about it.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Great report and outcome. I'm right there with you on mileage. I just don't ever check it anymore other than the lie-o-meter on the dash.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:45 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice report..

the headrest comes out.. I have removed mine.

how 'slightly' elevated was your pin?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Idk if you have a mirror on your fiver or not but I put a mirror on the nose of my fiver so I can see between the headrests to the mirror and see the pin (well top of pin)and the hitch.Works fairly well.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,959 Likes on 2,187 Posts
I just fold the seat down hooking up or unhooking. No one is in the truck when I'm doing either so it works for me.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
I just fold the seat down hooking up or unhooking. No one is in the truck when I'm doing either so it works for me.
Yeah that would work for me too except I have a kicker box speaker wedged in between the back seats that prevents me from folding seats down without destroying the speaker.Someday ill cut away the area back there to fit the box correctly..Maybe.....Prolly not..

Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Just squeeze the little tabs at the base of the headrest forks and pull up !
Head rest comes right out

Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
Just squeeze the little tabs at the base of the headrest forks and pull up !
Head rest comes right out
Lol!Yup sometimes the most obvious things are the most overlooked things.Ill do that from now on.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Nice report..

the headrest comes out.. I have removed mine.

how 'slightly' elevated was your pin?
Not much but a hole or two in the pin. I keep it high so I can have a cross bed tool box. I'm looking hard for a low profile box and then I can lower the pin. Problem is my L shaped fuel tank doesn't leave me much room for a box (11 or 11.5 inches), I just haven't been able to find a low profile box that has that low of a bottom. Well, actually I found a couple but they were pretty poor quality.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like you had a blast overall...

Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Boy do I feel dumb, either of those would have worked. I just went out and removed it. The view is much better. I'm gonna check on a mirror but I think the front is too rounded for that to work. I did think about a second back up camera on top of the tool box but thats pretty pricey and probably above my skill level to hook it into the screen. I might can do something with the edge though.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Not much but a hole or two in the pin. I keep it high so I can have a cross bed tool box. I'm looking hard for a low profile box and then I can lower the pin. Problem is my L shaped fuel tank doesn't leave me much room for a box (11 or 11.5 inches), I just haven't been able to find a low profile box that has that low of a bottom. Well, actually I found a couple but they were pretty poor quality.

I need to re-weigh mine with the trailer axles on different weight pads.
I am up a hole on my hitch too.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Boy do I feel dumb, either of those would have worked. I just went out and removed it. The view is much better. I'm gonna check on a mirror but I think the front is too rounded for that to work. I did think about a second back up camera on top of the tool box but thats pretty pricey and probably above my skill level to hook it into the screen. I might can do something with the edge though.
Just get the wireless cameras - yeah you gotta deal with another screen, but it is removable and easy. Heck, I do temp mounts of my iPad in vehicles that I have rented without Nav, since I have Nav Apps on the iPad and it is a nice big screen to see.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
One of the first things I did was take the center headrest and throw it in the corner. I don't know who's brain child that was.

I only lost 2" with my 5er. 3K king pin wt.

Look at ranch hand for a low profile tool box. That is what I have and it does not interfere at all.

Amazing that the 6.4 vs 6.7 towing mpgs is about the same.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:57 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I have the wireless camera on the trailer that shows on my tablet or phone. from iPhone Android iPad WIFI car backup camera. I am thinking of adding a second camera (and a remote toggle switch) from the trailer looking at the hitch.. altho even with my toolbox/fuel tank I don't have much backing trouble. so far I have spent all of $5 for the remote relay control.. need to get a cheap camera

Quick Reply: summer trip..final report