Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM
FOREIGN GURU

RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Question Battery terminal

Why is happening this to the battery positive terminal, in the drivers side??
Attached Images

96 F250, E40D, 2WD, 3.55, 145K. DIY intake-exhaust brake. DP 3-3.5" ceramic coated; HPX; GPR switch; Isspro gauges; shim FPR; Tru-cool; CCV mod; 4" SS exhaust; SS 5" tip; no cat; RacerX VB; TW 6p chip; 203*;140IDM;6.0IC; cristal clear lenses; fuel tank mod; AC cold mod; coolant filter.

«Primum non nosere» Drive safely !
Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
Is that the bolt that goes in it, or did you put a longer on in it ?
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 08-19-2014, 08:08 PM
FOREIGN GURU

RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpride View Post
Is that the bolt that goes in it, or did you put a longer on in it ?
I really dont know, maybe the PO changed it, IDK; I only IIRC added one terminal there for the upgraded front lights. Are you thinking, as I am, about different materials and make a chemistry reaction?

96 F250, E40D, 2WD, 3.55, 145K. DIY intake-exhaust brake. DP 3-3.5" ceramic coated; HPX; GPR switch; Isspro gauges; shim FPR; Tru-cool; CCV mod; 4" SS exhaust; SS 5" tip; no cat; RacerX VB; TW 6p chip; 203*;140IDM;6.0IC; cristal clear lenses; fuel tank mod; AC cold mod; coolant filter.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
So you added the one red wire with the yellow insulation on the crimp? The one behind it is also aftermarket. I've found that the best place to "stack" ring terminals for additional circuits is the junction point on the starter relay. Not sure if that's what's causing your build-up, though.

And at 750 CCA, your batteries are a bit undersized. Supposed to be 850 CCA each, minimum. Maybe down there it's less of an issue.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:33 PM
FOREIGN GURU

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
So you added the one red wire with the yellow insulation on the crimp? The one behind it is also aftermarket. I've found that the best place to "stack" ring terminals for additional circuits is the junction point on the starter relay. Not sure if that's what's causing your build-up, though.

And at 750 CCA, your batteries are a bit undersized. Supposed to be 850 CCA each, minimum. Maybe down there it's less of an issue.
Yes as I said, IIRC I did, I dont know about the other one, like you said is aftermaket. For junction point you mean the bolt that receive the battery terminal in the starter relay? Maybe I should change to there that ring terminal.
About the batteries CCA I bought the best here in Mexico, and they are 8 years old and still working.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Postmaster

madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.madpogue has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP View Post
Yes as I said, IIRC I did, I dont know about the other one, like you said is aftermaket. For junction point you mean the bolt that receive the battery terminal in the starter relay? Maybe I should change to there that ring terminal.
Yes, that's what I had in mind.
About the batteries CCA I bought the best here in Mexico, and they are 8 years old and still working. [/QUOTE] Ah, the joys of never having to start the truck truly COLD.....
Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 PM
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Yes, that's what I had in mind.
About the batteries CCA I bought the best here in Mexico, and they are 8 years old and still working.
Ah, the joys of never having to start the truck truly COLD..... [/QUOTE]

Thats rigth

PS and here they (AZ) dont sell duralast GOLD.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
That's what I'm thinking Jose
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
FOREIGN GURU

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpride View Post
That's what I'm thinking Jose
Im going to change the ring terminals to the starter junction, and the bolt, but what kind (material) of bolt I should put there? Nickel?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
make a mix of baking soda and hot water.
pour it over the battery terminal slowly, and wait for it to stop bubbling. then pour some more over it.
do this until everything is clean.
once clean, dry everything real good, and spray the terminal and all connections with clear coat, or any paint you have laying around.
this will help to keep the corrosion from happening again.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Posting Guru

richdawg has a good reputation on FTE.richdawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP View Post
Why is happening this to the battery positive terminal, in the drivers side??
I have seen + post/connections look like this before, and recently on one of my cars with an older battery. What causes it? IDK I googled it and the fallowing answer sounds similar to your problem.
"Why does the positive battery terminal keep corroding?
I recently had this happen to my 2007 ford fusion it was under warranty so i took it to the dealer and they said it was caused from the battery leaking at the Post's,they replaced the battery and the positive cable and i have not had any other problems with it since".

Here are some pics of my battery posts, pos and neg. The batts were new last fall/winter, as you can see i have extra cables similar to yours that run a power amp for my cb radio. I had the same set up with my old batteries with no problems. My reason for connecting directly to the posts, was i always thought it best to get power directly form the source.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Rich-97 F350 SC Dually long bed 2wd, 5 speed, 410's, 145000 : 6637 intake filter, Tymar 3" down pipe, cat delete, IDM 140v, Digital pyro gauge, Rosewood Stage 1's, FPR shim, CCV mod. Valair 400 HP Organic Clutch, GPR manual momentary switch, Superchip 1700 tuner/programer.
To do would be install 6.0 intercooler (need pipes and boots)
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM
FOREIGN GURU

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
make a mix of baking soda and hot water.
pour it over the battery terminal slowly, and wait for it to stop bubbling. then pour some more over it.
do this until everything is clean.
once clean, dry everything real good, and spray the terminal and all connections with clear coat, or any paint you have laying around.
this will help to keep the corrosion from happening again.
Tom,
I did the first part till was clean but, following your comment, Im going to spray the terminal with clear coat. I think is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdawg View Post
I have seen + post/connections look like this before, and recently on one of my cars with an older battery. What causes it? IDK I googled it and the fallowing answer sounds similar to your problem.
"Why does the positive battery terminal keep corroding?
I recently had this happen to my 2007 ford fusion it was under warranty so i took it to the dealer and they said it was caused from the battery leaking at the Post's,they replaced the battery and the positive cable and i have not had any other problems with it since".

Here are some pics of my battery posts, pos and neg. The batts were new last fall/winter, as you can see i have extra cables similar to yours that run a power amp for my cb radio. I had the same set up with my old batteries with no problems. My reason for connecting directly to the posts, was i always thought it best to get power directly form the source.
Rich,
Maybe the issue is caused from the battery leaking at the Post's, remember that they are almost 8 years old

Thanks for your input gentlemen

Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM
FOREIGN GURU

Exclamation

BTW I dont discard the chemistry reaction at all.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM