1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1994 350 CCLB SRW 4x4- Dually with superduty axles??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 AM
GreaseMonky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 350 CCLB SRW 4x4- Dually with superduty axles??

So like the title says, I have a 1994.5 CCLB 4x4, that I want to convert to DRW, and would like to upgrade to disc brakes at the same time, just wondering what years of axles I should look for, and do I need to swap the whole front axle? or just the outers?

I am wanting to do this swap because I will be hauling a 3 car gooseneck wedge trailer.

I did do a bunch of searching but most of what i have found have been 2wd to 4wd swaps or f-250 front axle swaps.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
To use the Superduty rear axle, I believe you will have to move the spring perches.I'm not 100% sure on this, but I seem to recall reading this. On the front axle, you can just install the dually front hubs for the OBS trucks, but you will have a different bolt pattern if you install a Superduty rear. If you want the same bolt pattern for the wheels, the Superduty front axle will have to be used, as they use unit bearing hubs, which won't fit the OBS D60. A dually axle from a 2wd OBS truck that left the factory with a pickup box installed (not a cab & chasis) is a direct bolt on, although you will not have disc brakes on that axle.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:37 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The rear sd axle is a direct bolt in

The front sd axle will require the spring perch to be relocated

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
The rear sd axle is a direct bolt in

The front sd axle will require the spring perch to be relocated
There you go! It must have been the front I was remembering.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Krause
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will need 99-04 axles if you want to retain leaf springs. 05 up axles if you want to do coil conversion.

As others have said, the rear will 'drop in', with some brake line adjustments, driveshaft conversion ujoints and new yokes, all the small things.

The front you can Not move the spring perches. The drivers side is cast as part of the differential case, and the passenger would require a huge amount of work because it works as a unit with the bottom plate/track bar mount, they need to move together. Pretty much this means you cant move the spring perches. You can however, have a custom RSK built to accomidate for the extra width of the superduty spring perches, trevor at PMF will make one if you call and ask for one, SKY also makes one.

This is a cut and paste of a post of mine from another site about the things you'll have to consider. There are more things as well, I just did this swap with custom PMF kit.

There is also enough info kicking around to figure this out. I came across a deal on 03' axles which is why I am not going to do the 05+ swap. Here is a short list of what you will need to do.

-As mentioned above, you will NEED to give Trevor a call at PMF and have him make you an RSK for the from that accommodates for the wider SD spring perches. They are nearly 2 inches wider overall, it's too much to pry the springs apart and looks terrible/hack job if you do it this way. This is a good example of what NOT to do https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-97-psd.html <--- makes me cringe...

-You need to buy a track bar bracket and weld to the frame to line up with new longer superduty trackbar. Find the thread by frankthetank and look at the pictures for how this needs to be done- HIs thread is for a 05+ axle swap, but the track bar location/setup will be similar to the 99-04 axles. This is the bracket I am using.
Off-Road Fabrication Parts - RuffStuff Specialties
I believe Cary sells one as well.

-You'll need 8x170 wheels, remember 05+ wheels have very small backspacing and will look funny without the wider 05+axles, and IMO non of the ones from 99-04 are that nice. Aftermarket or whatever, pick your poison but you OBS wheels will not just bolt on.
-(you will also need metric lugnuts. SOme axles are 14x2.0 course thread, some later 02 and up are typically 14x1.5 fine thread) Keep this in mind.

-Your stock steering box and pitman arm will work, but you may have to have the pitman arm reamed out to accept the 99-04 tie rod; this I am not positive on yet, but I know it has to be done for 05+ steering linkage, when I put my 04 axles in, the steering linkage fit perfectly into pitman arm...

-Are you going to rear superduty springs as well? They use a metric bolt, you can re-use your rear shackle, but will need to clearance it a bit for the SD springs and ream out the hole slightly that accept the through bolt from the leafs, just a bit to take the metric bolt. Spring perches on the rear work just fine (unlike the front) unless the axles are for some reason out of a cab and chassis truck, (unlikely but worth mentioning I guess).

-Unit Bearings are not as bad as everyone says (IMO), they can be had for a semi un-reasonable price on rockauto. Keep this in mind and perhaps throw some fresh ones on unless you know the history of the other ones. Chances are youll have to do it in a few thousand anyways, may as well be on a bench.

-Yoke from your current 10.25 will get you rolling 2x4, may want to attain another somehow so you can sell your 10.25 whole. Not exactly sure on the front driveshaft, as others have mentioned it needs a conversion Ujoint that is commonly available at the local driveshaft shop, but I didnt write the part number down when I read it, now its long done.

You'll need to clearance the cross member under the front of the engine or else the new track bar will hit it. This is nothing special, just a half hour under the truck with a grinder and hot metal falling on you.

-Krause