1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bed wood finishing/sealing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed wood finishing/sealing?

Hey guys, I am about to send my bed out for paint and I am wondering about the best way to treat the underside of the bed wood. Is it better to simply water seal it or should I use undercoating like I did under my fenders and cab? I am in AZ so we don't have to put up with much snow or rain, but who knows where we will end up with this truck. Could be anywhere. So wondering what is the best way to preserve and protect the underside of the bed wood...
Thanks, Tyler

Old 08-19-2014, 06:51 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
From what I can tell, the original hardwood under layer in my '49 was untreated. Appears to have held up in a climate with four seasons. Unless AZ suddenly gets as humid as a swamp, I wouldn't do more than apply whatever finish you are putting on the top.

Sounds like you are eagerly nearing the finish of your build.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If the bed floor is solid planks, then fourtyniner is correct use the same finish (I recommend 100% pure Tung oil, I have posted several times about this, do an advanced search on my user name.) equally on all 6 sides. Clear film finishes, i.e. typical hardware store products, are all destroyed in short order by UV which will leave it a mess. You never want to use a water tight sealant like undercoating or bed liner on wood, especially on the bottom. The wood has to be allowed to breathe to prevent mold and milldew (dry rot).

Old 08-19-2014, 08:23 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Here is some info. on Tung Oil.

Tung Oil - Woodwork Details

"Happiness - 3 pedals and a 5 speed "

Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by AXracer
If the bed floor is solid planks, then fourtyniner is correct use the same finish (I recommend 100% pure Tung oil, I have posted several times about this, do an advanced search on my user name.) equally on all 6 sides. Clear film finishes, i.e. typical hardware store products, are all destroyed in short order by UV which will leave it a mess. You never want to use a water tight sealant like undercoating or bed liner on wood, especially on the bottom. The wood has to be allowed to breathe to prevent mold and milldew (dry rot).
OK, thanks everybody! AX if I understand you correctly (I read many of you posts on this topic) you recommend staying away from varnishes all together, just go with tung oil? And also, I gather you're not a fan of oak because of its poor performance with UV and its moisture wicking properties, is that right? I have oak (it came with my new bed) but I am thinking of switching to cherry.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tyler S
OK, thanks everybody! AX if I understand you correctly (I read many of you posts on this topic) you recommend staying away from varnishes all together, just go with tung oil? And also, I gather you're not a fan of oak because of its poor performance with UV and its moisture wicking properties, is that right? I have oak (it came with my new bed) but I am thinking of switching to cherry.
Correct IF you are using 100% pure tung oil, NOT "tung oil finish" such as sold by Watco and others in the big box DIY and paint stores/departments. "Tung oil finish" is nothing more than polyurethane varnish thinned with solvent and containing a minimal amount of tung oil, just enough to be able to put it on the label. A marketing ploy used to sell a smaller volume of polyurethane varnish cut with much cheaper mineral spirits (as much as 50%!) for a premium price than charged for the same amount of uncut varnish! Pure tung oil is sold by specialty stores catering to the professional/serious hobbyist fine woodworker. It is expensive since it is pressed from the nuts of the Tung tree rather than being mixed up from chemicals in a vat in a factory, (just like fine extra virgin olive oil is more expensive than cooking spray), but it is a much better product to finish hardwoods with. Pure tung oil sells for about 20.00 a quart at stores like Woodcraft, Woodworker's Supply, and Klingspore, but it does go a long way.

Let me correct and clarify my issues with oak: Oak is a very open grained porous wood, so it takes a lot of finish to seal the large exposed cells. Most people get tired of applying finish long before the grain is filled, leaving it able to absorb water which expands the cells. The expansion will cause any film finish to develop fine cracks or crazing, and lifting the finish, letting in even more moisture. Oak's high tannin content when in contact with moisture forms a very acidic solution. (Traditionally a solution made from oak bark boiled in water to extract the tannin was used to "tan" leather, Tanning refers to the darkening and change to the leather in contact with the tannic acid solution) Tannin when exposed to air and UV causes the poly finish to deteriorate and the oak wood to turn black.
Your choice of (American black, not sour or Brazilian etc) cherry wood is a good one. Cherry heartwood is a dense fine grain wood that takes a pure tung oil finishing beautifully and when exposed to UV slowly darkens to the beautifully rich reddish brown color we woodworkers know and love. (PLEASE don't stain it, be patient and let it color naturally.) However if you apply a film finish like poly varnish the darkening will stop dead in it's tracks and it will never develop it's beauty. Cherry sapwood finishes to a pale yellow color which can give a beautiful contrast to the heartwood.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may help you decide- I followed Ax's instructions for the tung oil and this is how it looks after three coats. The man knows what he is talking about as far as I'm concerned. Black walnut with tung oil only!

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Correct IF you are using 100% pure tung oil, NOT "tung oil finish" such as sold by Watco and others in the big box DIY and paint stores/departments. "Tung oil finish" is nothing more than polyurethane varnish thinned with solvent and containing a minimal amount of tung oil, just enough to be able to put it on the label. A marketing ploy used to sell a smaller volume of polyurethane varnish cut with much cheaper mineral spirits (as much as 50%!) for a premium price than charged for the same amount of uncut varnish! Pure tung oil is sold by specialty stores catering to the professional/serious hobbyist fine woodworker. It is expensive since it is pressed from the nuts of the Tung tree rather than being mixed up from chemicals in a vat in a factory, (just like fine extra virgin olive oil is more expensive than cooking spray), but it is a much better product to finish hardwoods with. Pure tung oil sells for about 20.00 a quart at stores like Woodcraft, Woodworker's Supply, and Klingspore, but it does go a long way. Let me correct and clarify my issues with oak: Oak is a very open grained porous wood, so it takes a lot of finish to seal the large exposed cells. Most people get tired of applying finish long before the grain is filled, leaving it able to absorb water which expands the cells. The expansion will cause any film finish to develop fine cracks or crazing, and lifting the finish, letting in even more moisture. Oak's high tannin content when in contact with moisture forms a very acidic solution. (Traditionally a solution made from oak bark boiled in water to extract the tannin was used to "tan" leather, Tanning refers to the darkening and change to the leather in contact with the tannic acid solution) Tannin when exposed to air and UV causes the poly finish to deteriorate and the oak wood to turn black. Your choice of (American black, not sour or Brazilian etc) cherry wood is a good one. Cherry heartwood is a dense fine grain wood that takes a pure tung oil finishing beautifully and when exposed to UV slowly darkens to the beautifully rich reddish brown color we woodworkers know and love. (PLEASE don't stain it, be patient and let it color naturally.) However if you apply a film finish like poly varnish the darkening will stop dead in it's tracks and it will never develop it's beauty. Cherry sapwood finishes to a pale yellow color which can give a beautiful contrast to the heartwood.
Chuck thanks as always for your insight and thoroughness! I'm sold. I think I'll go with either cherry or walnut. There's a woodcraft store 5 mins from my house. I'll drop in. And one of my good buddies is a gifted wood worker, so I'm gonna enlist his help too! Thanks again! Tyler

Old 08-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by 49f3dls
This may help you decide- I followed Ax's instructions for the tung oil and this is how it looks after three coats. The man knows what he is talking about as far as I'm concerned. Black walnut with tung oil only!
Thanks for your advice. Yeah I've met AX (Chuck). He and I had some BBQ and a beer a couple years ago. We went and looked at his panel truck and his shop. He has skills in lots of other crafts too and is a wealth of knowledge. Dude has skills!! T

Old 08-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Correct IF you are using 100% pure tung oil, NOT "tung oil finish" such as sold by Watco and others in the big box DIY and paint stores/departments. "Tung oil finish" is nothing more than polyurethane varnish thinned with solvent and containing a minimal amount of tung oil, just enough to be able to put it on the label. A marketing ploy used to sell a smaller volume of polyurethane varnish cut with much cheaper mineral spirits (as much as 50%!) for a premium price than charged for the same amount of uncut varnish! Pure tung oil is sold by specialty stores catering to the professional/serious hobbyist fine woodworker. It is expensive since it is pressed from the nuts of the Tung tree rather than being mixed up from chemicals in a vat in a factory, (just like fine extra virgin olive oil is more expensive than cooking spray), but it is a much better product to finish hardwoods with. Pure tung oil sells for about 20.00 a quart at stores like Woodcraft, Woodworker's Supply, and Klingspore, but it does go a long way.

Let me correct and clarify my issues with oak: Oak is a very open grained porous wood, so it takes a lot of finish to seal the large exposed cells. Most people get tired of applying finish long before the grain is filled, leaving it able to absorb water which expands the cells. The expansion will cause any film finish to develop fine cracks or crazing, and lifting the finish, letting in even more moisture. Oak's high tannin content when in contact with moisture forms a very acidic solution. (Traditionally a solution made from oak bark boiled in water to extract the tannin was used to "tan" leather, Tanning refers to the darkening and change to the leather in contact with the tannic acid solution) Tannin when exposed to air and UV causes the poly finish to deteriorate and the oak wood to turn black.
Your choice of (American black, not sour or Brazilian etc) cherry wood is a good one. Cherry heartwood is a dense fine grain wood that takes a pure tung oil finishing beautifully and when exposed to UV slowly darkens to the beautifully rich reddish brown color we woodworkers know and love. (PLEASE don't stain it, be patient and let it color naturally.) However if you apply a film finish like poly varnish the darkening will stop dead in it's tracks and it will never develop it's beauty. Cherry sapwood finishes to a pale yellow color which can give a beautiful contrast to the heartwood.
Hey Chuck, I am looking into getting the cherry here in the next few days at my local Woodcraft store. Incidentally, the price they quoted me didn't seem too bad: $180. Anyway, I was discussing the tung oil approach with the guy at the store and his only reservation about using %100 tung oil was that it has no UV inhibitors. Above, you explain the UV exposure helps darken the cherry to a beautiful tone, but does it also damage the wood over time? Obviously UV is a huge issue out here in AZ, while rain is less so. It does rain, especially in the winter and during summer thunderstorm season, but not like what you get in your neck of the woods. He was suggesting I consider a product called Outdoor Oil (General Finishes Outdoor Oil is an exterior-rated oil. | General Finishes) which I'm sure you're aware is a linseed oil with UV inhibitors. Evidently, like tung oil, it is not a varnish and you can reapply it in the future without stripping/sanding. What is your take on that product and the UV inhibitor issue? Thanks! Tyler

Old 08-30-2014, 10:05 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If you are talking about treating the underside, per your OP, how much UV is it really going to see? What it will see is 90wt gear oil slung off the pinion seal, grease flung off the U-joints, and likely a fair amount of heat from the exhaust where they jump over the axle. I wouldn't spend too much time or money on it.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
If you are talking about treating the underside, per your OP, how much UV is it really going to see? What it will see is 90wt gear oil slung off the pinion seal, grease flung off the U-joints, and likely a fair amount of heat from the exhaust where they jump over the axle. I wouldn't spend too much time or money on it.
Yeah I guess we've diverged from the underside of the wood to the top side. ..... There we go! I changed the thread subject to bedwood finishing/sealing....

Old 08-30-2014, 11:15 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tyler S
Hey Chuck, I am looking into getting the cherry here in the next few days at my local Woodcraft store. Incidentally, the price they quoted me didn't seem too bad: $180. Anyway, I was discussing the tung oil approach with the guy at the store and his only reservation about using %100 tung oil was that it has no UV inhibitors. Above, you explain the UV exposure helps darken the cherry to a beautiful tone, but does it also damage the wood over time? Obviously UV is a huge issue out here in AZ, while rain is less so. It does rain, especially in the winter and during summer thunderstorm season, but not like what you get in your neck of the woods. He was suggesting I consider a product called Outdoor Oil (General Finishes Outdoor Oil is an exterior-rated oil. | General Finishes) which I'm sure you're aware is a linseed oil with UV inhibitors. Evidently, like tung oil, it is not a varnish and you can reapply it in the future without stripping/sanding. What is your take on that product and the UV inhibitor issue? Thanks! Tyler
I hate to disagree with the clerk, but UV inhibitor is not needed with tung oil, it is not a film coating and does not break down when exposed to UV. UV inhibitors would only be a concern if you didn't want the wood to darken from it's fresh cut color to it's aged color or in a film finish that deteriorates from UV, but cherry's aged color is extremely (most) attractive and desirable. I have a large cherry sculpture I carved 30 years ago I finished with tung oil. Linseed oil is an inexpensive oil ("boiled" not raw which does not polymerize) will only partially polymerize even when lead compound driers are added. It remains slightly gummy which attracts and holds dirt, not desirable for a horizontal surface, and will require regular cleaning and retreatment.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:53 PM
D Sokol
Senior User
Since it is "How they were done", I am planning on painting my bed here in Phoenix. There was a thread about it earlier and it contained a link to a company that tested finishes. What I got put of it was use POR15 as a primer.

Wood Finish Testing - Testing of different wood finish products

Dan Sokol

Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
With much time & patience one can make a hardwood ( ash ) look like glass .

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Bed wood finishing/sealing?