Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Junior User

johnson.jeff.a is starting off with a positive reputation.
Replacement Gas Tank Paint Required?

Good afternoon,
I'm replacing my rust filled original gas tank with the steel replacement from midfifty:
1953-55 Ford F-100 Gas Tank, Stock, Steel Reproduction

(If anything in the rest of this post sounds as though I don't think the folks at midfifty are helpful, that is not my intent. I have found them to be very helpful, and expect that I'll be buying parts from them well into the future)

Midfifty says paint is not required, and would be purely optional.

I'm just not sure if that means that the steel is already treated somehow to prevent rust, or if paint is optional, because I can always purchase another tank?

The underside of my truck is no showpiece, and I don't plan to paint, unless it is necessary to preserve the tank.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Are you talking about the exterior? Can't hurt to paint it, not hard to do while it's out and not expensive, so why not?

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Freshman User

Oh5dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would recommend painting it maybe even undercoating it if you don't care what it will look like. It'll save you money down the road.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I'd say that the worst MF meant was that even unpainted and rusts, it won't rust through in your lifetime (unless you are <12 yo.)

But likely meant it was made from coated steel and/or is epoxy primered.

Did you read the instruction sheet about corrosion protection? Add a ground wire.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
I'd say that the worst MF meant was that even unpainted and rusts, it won't rust through in your lifetime (unless you are <12 yo.)

But likely meant it was made from coated steel and/or is epoxy primered.

Did you read the instruction sheet about corrosion protection? Add a ground wire.
Painting now would seem logical. I'm a bit anxious to get things put back together so I can drive... guess I needed someone to tell me not to cut the corner. Thanks!

Re corrosion protection. When I pulled the tank out, I wondered what the ground wire was for. The instructions did clear that right up. I will be making sure that is solidly reconnected. Thanks for pointing it out, just in case. I have missed important things before, and I am learning as I go here.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
If you go to the link for the tank you posted above and click on the instructions tab the information on protecting the tank by grounding it is there. It wouldn't take more than a day to paint the outside before you install it (mostly drying time. If it's bare metal give it a scrub with a strong solution of simple green (a cup per gal of water) and hot water. I like to buy the cheapest 4" paintbrush they have and give it a haircut, cutting off about 1/2 the bristle length and using it as a scrub brush give it a good scrub, rinse with hot water dry with clean cloths or blow off with oil free compressed air. Paint with 2 coats of rattle can self etching primer Then 2 coats of rattle can paint (Rustoleum or what you prefer) of your favorite color. Watch the instructions for recoat times, some paints get sensitive and may not want to dry if you don't paint within the recoat time window. If it is epoxy primered (a dark grey/black color) then just give it a scuff with a green nylon scrub pad from the grocery store dipped in lacquer thinner and skip the wash and primer above.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
If you go to the link for the tank you posted above and click on the instructions tab the information on protecting the tank by grounding it is there. It wouldn't take more than a day to paint the outside before you install it (mostly drying time. If it's bare metal give it a scrub with a strong solution of simple green (a cup per gal of water) and hot water. I like to buy the cheapest 4" paintbrush they have and give it a haircut, cutting off about 1/2 the bristle length and using it as a scrub brush give it a good scrub, rinse with hot water dry with clean cloths or blow off with oil free compressed air. Paint with 2 coats of rattle can self etching primer Then 2 coats of rattle can paint (Rustoleum or what you prefer) of your favorite color. Watch the instructions for recoat times, some paints get sensitive and may not want to dry if you don't paint within the recoat time window. If it is epoxy primered (a dark grey/black color) then just give it a scuff with a green nylon scrub pad from the grocery store dipped in lacquer thinner and skip the wash and primer above.

Thanks for the step-by-step. Very helpful!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
Personally I think a battleship grey gas tank with black hardware and chassis would look good!

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Posting Guru

teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
I like to paint my tanks with good truck bedliner paint. Just the rattle can stuff. Gives you a thick coating and protects against stone chips and rust.
1955 F-100, 302, shortbed, Explorer Rear "Jamie"
'65 Mustang Coupe, '67 Mustang Coupe, '68 Mustang Convertible, '04 Mustang GT
Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 PM