General Automotive Discussion

Why is pickuptrucks.com run so poorly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Patriotgrunt
Trailering
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is pickuptrucks.com run so poorly?

That website has gone downhill in recent years. Their vehicle testing procedures are terrible. They don't even attempt to level the playing field. Next, their comments section is poorly managed. They delete and ban people as the seem fit without any firm rules established. I guess that's what happens once you sell out to a larger corporation like cars.com.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
never heard of it.
and have no plans of looking into it either, everything i will ever need is rite here at FTE.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:05 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I wouldn't know if it's run poorly or not but the news feeds seem to be a bit sparse as compared to the past.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've surfed Pickuptrucks.com for over a decade, and I can tell you this much.

In terms of the quality of their comparison tests, It's only been in the past three or four years that they've really taken a nose dive. It seems after Mike Levine left (Ironically to work for Ford) the quality started dipping, and it just got worse and worse over the years. They used to put out very good videos chronicling their comparison tests as well...Now they are very poorly edited and painful to watch with their minimalist approach.

As far as the comments section...

It's always been toxic on that site. At least as long as I've been visiting it. It's full of brand faithful trolls who boost their insecurity's by assaulting the comment section with with slander towards anything and everything that doesn't involve their favorite brand being gods gift to pickups.

For example, there's the GM Bob's also known as Michigan Bob and various other ''Bob'' alias's. He's been trolling the site for years as little more than a living advertisement for General Motors.

Then there's another one named Oxi, who disappeared a few years back but recently started making rounds again as Oxiie or something like that. He's a Toyota fanboy who apparently did some Baja style racing back in the 80's or something like that...Anyway, in his eyes, 1980's Toyota Trucks are better than ANYTHING out there. He incessantly compares his modified Baja racers to to factory stock trucks claiming how a regular F-150/Silverado/Ram...etc...etc would never hold up under the strenuous racing his truck does (even though his truck is heavily modified) he always alludes to that, but has been called on it.

Lastly there's the various Ram trolls. He/They are really no different than the Bob/GM trolls. In their eyes any article that praises Ford or GM obviously means the site biased towards said brand. Any article that praises a Ram product is the best written article ever.

It's really sad and ridiculous honestly. I don't even both with the comments on that site anymore. It's just a bunch of man children bickering. The comment section their is NEVER productive. Stay far away from it.

A year or so ago Pickuptrucks.com, released an article stating that they were going to start cracking down on the troll's and banning their IP's from the site. But apparently that was all talk, because nothing ever changed...I'd even venture out to say it got worse.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Never heard of the site but there has been numerous sites I used to be on that went down hill. One of them didn't go down hill but got closed down due to lack of activity, now I find myself on a T-bird site which results in me catching hell cause I do not own a Tbird.