Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Senior User

brokeasajoke is starting off with a positive reputation.
well that was an easy pyro install but a few questions

Put my banks pyro in today. Went well. Drilled and tapped hole almost at #8 cyl. Drilled three times stepping up bit size each time. The threadig went easier than expected also. Its amazing how fast it will go from 200 to 800deg. Now a few questions. My wire coming from the guage(not the prob pigtail) is very long. Can i shorten it? I have like 3 or 4 extra feet of wire. Should i trust the guage or is there something i can test it against? Should i put antiseize on the probe threads? Thanks all
Old 08-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Elder User

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah, you can shorten the wire without issues.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Post Fiend

helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.helifixer has a spectacular reputation.
NO do not shorten pyrometer wiring! It is chromel-alumel wiring and is calibrated!

simply roll the the extra wire and tywrap it out of the way under the dash
Old 08-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifixer View Post
NO do not shorten pyrometer wiring! It is chromel-alumel wiring and is calibrated!

simply roll the the extra wire and tywrap it out of the way under the dash
x2 !!! DON'T cut the wires. Its good to have extra, just find a place where it won't get tangled and tie it up.

anti-seize on the probe threads is a really good idea. But not on the wire connections. Those should be covered up with tape so they won't get corroded.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Senior User

The wire had been cut. At least 6 in is missing. Will that adversely affect accuracy? Im blowing black at wot but plan on a turbo install as soon as i can get some time so didnt wanna turn it down just yet
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Postmaster

hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ranger_nog hairyboxnoogle
Depends on the wiring. My isspro said that you can shorten it no problem. If the wire is 1 piece with a pigtail id leave it. However if its bare wire on one end im sure you can shorten it. I anti-siezed my thermocouple threads.

'92 F-250 XLT
- Supercab, 4x4, ZF, 7.3 ATS 088, D50 SAS-PMF 2.25" RSK / 10.5LS, SD e-fuel, HPC e-fans
Old 08-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Senior User

sherwin johnson is starting off with a positive reputation.
My hypermax combo gauge (made by isspro) came with the ring terminals on the pigtails and instructions not to shorten the wire.

Work Truck: 92 F350 4X4 CCLB 7.3 IDI ATS Turbo@10PSI Flatbed Hypermax Cowl Induction to Custom Intake Carrier E-pump Fuel up 2 Flats 285/75/16 All-Terrains Custom Built Front Bumper Racing Buckets Custom Aluminum Console Stanadyne Performance every tank
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior User

No power wire to gauge. 3 wires. Two insulated and one bare copper wire that goes to one bof the two ring termainals were gauge wire and probe wire come together. Those 3 wires are inside of a plastic sleeve.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Postmaster

Sounds like my isspro. My banks has the ring terminals on each end, and cannot be shortened without throwing off the gauge.

'92 F-250 XLT
- Supercab, 4x4, ZF, 7.3 ATS 088, D50 SAS-PMF 2.25" RSK / 10.5LS, SD e-fuel, HPC e-fans
Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Senior User

Mn banks did also. I had to put ring terminals back on the cut wires. It does work however, just dont know its accuracy
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Elder User

Macrobb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
All of the probes I've seen have a separate piece of wire attached; the section that cannot be changes is inside the probe where the two pieces of dissimilar metal are attached.
A pyrometer probe is a thermocouple; thermocouples produce greater voltage with higher temperatures. As long as your gauge is high resistance, the minor amount of resistance from adding extra wire(or less resistance from removing it) shouldn't affect the end result much.

The only thing I can think of is that some gauges don't have an added power source, so they would be driving the meter directly from the current produced from the thermocouple... this might well change it with added/removed resistance.

I've never had issues with that, even with adding 6' or so of 12-ga copper wire to the end of my leads... but I'm using a digital gauge with outside power source, so it's not producing a load on the thermocouple.
Note: On mine, I've tested a couple ways: 1, when cold, it's pretty close to outside temperature(+-10F)... which would be the worst case for a thermocouple(lowest output voltage). 2. EGTs get into the same range as when I had a different probe in.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Senior User

Seemed to idle about 200 today very easy ever so light throttle running 40 produced 300 and a very steep 1.5 mile grade i drive daily pushed 975-1000 at about 50 mph without blowing black smoke. Flat ground at 50 ish got me in the 500 range. Im still amazed at how fast things heat up. A pyro should be standard equipment in a diesel.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Postmaster

Sounds like its about right.

'92 F-250 XLT
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM