Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General NON-Automotive Conversation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Posting Guru

ford2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud offord2go has much to be proud of
Antivirus choices for Win Doze

Hi,

I know, I should ditch windoze and get an apple/linux, but I really can't.

So, I've been using Norton, and it seems OK, but they just made an announcement. Basically, they said that anti v is not really possible these days, and that they are focusing on various forms of prevention. ( I think that they started the effort with Norton Identity Safe -- which they downloaded for me without asking. ).

So, if the company says that it can't do A-V what are some options. (I'm pretty sure that they still sell A-V, however ).

hj
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Norton has been crap for years. Avast is decent, as long as you do regular scans and watch where you go it's quite good.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Postmaster

Furyus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputationFuryus1 has a superb reputation
Viruses aren't just the problem anymore - there are also various different forms of malware lurking around out there...

I gave up on both Norton and McAfee years ago - neither one is worth a damn. My experiences with Bitdefender and Kaspersky have also been less than enjoyable...

I like Eset Nod32 - it does a good job, but there is no free version.

I've found that running a combination of Avast! Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware seems to work decently enough. The free version of Malwarebytes works well enough if you remember to run regular scans - the only way to turn on real-time protection is to buy the premium version (which is a $25/year subscription.)

I've also found that it's a good idea to use the built-in system backup utility in Windows - it saved my butt more than once...

And, like Jared said, just be careful of what you do online...
"
You obviously don't comprehend the level of insane I operate at." - The 4th Doctor
Old 08-18-2014, 03:51 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i use AVG. it is free, and works better than norton.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 AM
Post Fiend

jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.jroehl has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i use AVG. it is free, and works better than norton.
Ditto.

Norton and McAfee are viruses themselves, IMNSHO.

Also, get and use Spybot Search & Destroy (and use their "immunization" feature--protects you from known malicious websites).

Jason

Probably the greatest harm done by vast wealth is the harm that we of moderate means do ourselves when we let the vices of envy and hatred enter deep into our own natures.
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

donjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputationdonjamer has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2go View Post
Hi,

I know, I should ditch windoze and get an apple/linux, but I really can't.

So, I've been using Norton, and it seems OK, but they just made an announcement. Basically, they said that anti v is not really possible these days, and that they are focusing on various forms of prevention. ( I think that they started the effort with Norton Identity Safe -- which they downloaded for me without asking. ).

So, if the company says that it can't do A-V what are some options. (I'm pretty sure that they still sell A-V, however ).

hj
I use Norton, Malwarebytes and Sybot, and have never had a problem..

The Norton Identity safe is not an antivirus tool.. It is just a place to store your login and credit card info... Companies are trying to get people to change their passwords and make them more complex... The identity safe will help remember them...

If you use Norton, malwarebytes and Spybot you should be well protected..

Nothing will help you if you don't read what prompts pop up on your screen or go to questionable websites...

My 2 cents
Don #3 SlackMaster
Chapter Leader of the Massachusetts Chapter
Join the MA Chapter Here
Currently own:
2006 F350 Lariat CC Super Duty, 6.0 L Diesel
FTE Fraternity OF Blue Max
Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 PM

Action4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputationAction4478 has a superb reputation
I got a virus & a slow computer with Norton .. After I quit them , little did I know they kept charging my card for 5 more years with no email communication .I quit using the card for my business . I have someone that pays my bills for me & knew nothing about the charges . It became obvious after I paid off the card .

I have Trend Micro Titanium on 3 computers & Avast (free ) on one . Never had a problem
'Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!'
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Posting Guru

Bently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud ofBently_Coop has much to be proud of
Use to run AVG free, didnt have problems but someone reccomended to me the Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Malware. They seem to work fine. I think others also mentioned the ADblocker as well. Have yet to try it out though.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 AM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Webroot (formerly Prevx) Antispyware, Antivirus, Endpoint Protection & Mobile Security | Webroot

I've been using it for a loooong time now (many, many years) and it's been perfect for me. It's cloud based, so you need an internet connection, but that also means it has an extremely small footprint and doesn't slow your computer down at all.

I used to use Norton and McAfee and I'd still get hit on occasion. Webroot took care of stuff McAfee couldn't.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
I use System Mechanic Pro and have it on 6 computers. No problems at all.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Postmaster

00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation
Norton IS a virus, IMNSHO.

I used PC-Cillin for many years, then found AVG Anti-Virus. AVG 'Free' works just as well as several 'pay' anti-virus programs. (Avast is very good, also.)

Spy-Bot Search and Destroy runs every month.

Malwarebytes runs every month.

Watch where you go on the 'net and don't open anything from anyone you don't know and trust.

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." - Ronald Reagan
Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Ambassador

hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
I have both AVG and super anti spyware running at the same time and SAS catches way more stuff. Also running Malwarbytes but the best by far is SAS and CC Cleaner

Buford T Justice "There aint No way, No way, that you could come from my loins"
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Ambassador

hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
I run spybot as well

Buford T Justice "There aint No way, No way, that you could come from my loins"
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM