1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Texas Trip #2-Ruby Data

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:54 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Just like last time Byron, if you swing down towards Austin, give me a holler.
Sounds good Travis! Got any ZF parts lyin around? I am about ready to set the E4OD on fire!! LOL I hate the darn thing.

On another note, I think we'll be in Dripping Springs come Wednesday then Luckenbach Thursday and Friday.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:59 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by martin72
He did not run over anything Glenn. The tires were dry rotted they were only 4 years old he did not know they were in that bad of shape.
Yeah Glenn, what he said! Just bad timing, but got it taken care of. It's just the expected stuff with big trailers, as I am sure you know!

A couple more "non truck" photos

West Texas storm

And a little of this

All good here so far. We head down to the Hill Country Tuesday. We are taking it easy at the family house for a few days before more driving.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Dang Byron.you are having all the fun!
How big is that box? It looks like I'm getting a 27' holiday rambler in a couple weeks :-)
I just hope my pig will drag it good enough Lol
Have fun, keep the pics coming and be safe.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:14 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Enjoy your trip and be safe

Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
Dang Byron.you are having all the fun! How big is that box? It looks like I'm getting a 27' holiday rambler in a couple weeks :-) I just hope my pig will drag it good enough Lol Have fun, keep the pics coming and be safe.
Thanks Aaron! Our trailer is 34 feet. According to the CAT scales, it weighs right at 10,500# with a tongue weight of 1200#. I am not gonna lie...I wish I had more power, but I have been able to hold a speed of 65-70 pulling flat with no issues. My biggest issue are the hills and watching the EGTs. I have the power, but not the cool EGTs to go with it, so I am limited on how much I can use. Like Glenn said, the gauge ends up being my gas pedal! I am guessing you won't know that 27 footer is even back there. On the positive side, NO leaks and the EFuel is doing great. I am getting 9 mpg no matter how I drive it. I did get 8 on one run, but it was a big climb and a little wind, so not surprising there. More pics later today or tomorrow!
Originally Posted by fordpride
Enjoy your trip and be safe
Thanks Mike! Today is Texas BBQ day at Cooper's Open Pit BBQ and ice cold Shiner's on draft. It'll be a good day for sure. Of course, the RV battery died lat night, so I gotta pick up a new one because the slides don't work without it, even plugged in to shore power. So far, so good as the trip goes! Stay tuned!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Look on the bright side, all those BS things will be out of the way for the next trip

Old 08-25-2014, 11:32 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your batteries are original they could be bad, but don't overlook the possibility the converter is bad. I have found the converters they put in rv's usually are of poor quality, they over charge and cause battery failure. I know this because I had early battery failure a couple of times. I changed to two 12v gollf cart batteries and a new converter, have had the same batts for over 6 yrs now,
The converter i used is in this link
PD9200 Series RV Power Converters.
They are a very popular upgrade for many rv'ers
Just a heads up. Sounds like your having a fun trip

Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Aaron and I are both going to find out what our trucks are made of when I deliver it to him here in a couple of weeks... I'm sure I'll be saying I want more power by the time its all over...lol

Keep it coming Byron!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Sounds good Travis! Got any ZF parts lyin around? I am about ready to set the E4OD on fire!! LOL I hate the darn thing.

On another note, I think we'll be in Dripping Springs come Wednesday then Luckenbach Thursday and Friday.
I live about 10 minutes from Dripping Springs homie! I'm working all week, but I recently got off the night shifts. I get off at 3pm these days, so if you're going to be in town when I get off, I'll be around.
Cooper's is awesome. I haven't been there in a long time. I don't have any ZF parts laying around other than some clutch parts.. I do have a stock E4OD laying here, but it's a 4x4 model.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like you're having a great trip Byron! Keep the updates coming...

Old 08-25-2014, 03:49 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
How are you monitoring engine oil temp ?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:30 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Mike, the BS never ends with these moving houses!

Byron, in 2007 I put in two Lifeline batteries and a new 80 amp convertor and no problems. When I added 4 blue tops and a invertor to run the freezer etc running, I wired the convertor I keep the four blue tops charged. So, my 80 amp Xantrex convertor keeps all six batteries charged. It's a great convertor, factory ones suck!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by richdawg
If your batteries are original they could be bad, but don't overlook the possibility the converter is bad. I have found the converters they put in rv's usually are of poor quality, they over charge and cause battery failure. I know this because I had early battery failure a couple of times. I changed to two 12v gollf cart batteries and a new converter, have had the same batts for over 6 yrs now,
The converter i used is in this link
PD9200 Series RV Power Converters.
They are a very popular upgrade for many rv'ers
Just a heads up. Sounds like your having a fun trip
Yeah Rich, I already did this about 6 months ago with this exact converter. It was repaired under warranty. The factory one was a POS. I think it already made the battery weak and now it might be done. I did find that the interior radio was cutting on and off with weather alerts and I think it stayed on and ran it down. I took it off, cleaned the terminals real well, and filled it with distilled water. I am going to wait until I drive it a few hours Wednesday and see if it charges it enough to do the slides and then hope the shore power does the job. If not, no big deal. I'll go get another one. Thanks for the info though! I am glad to know I replaced with the best one I could get.

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I live about 10 minutes from Dripping Springs homie! I'm working all week, but I recently got off the night shifts. I get off at 3pm these days, so if you're going to be in town when I get off, I'll be around.
Cooper's is awesome. I haven't been there in a long time. I don't have any ZF parts laying around other than some clutch parts.. I do have a stock E4OD laying here, but it's a 4x4 model.
Sounds good Travis. I don't see any reason we can't meet up for some beer and BBQ!! Let me see what my schedule is with the family. If you don't mind my toddler running around, I am down! I was kinda kidding about the ZF parts. I'm just ready to get rid of the crappy auto. It's great for around town driving unloaded, but that's about it. PM me your number and I'll be in touch tomorrow or Wed.

Originally Posted by DanielT28
How are you monitoring engine oil temp ?
Egde CTS Insight, which I like, but not sure it's the most accurate. Seems to be doing good so far.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Mike, the BS never ends with these moving houses!

Byron, in 2007 I put in two Lifeline batteries and a new 80 amp convertor and no problems. When I added 4 blue tops and a invertor to run the freezer etc running, I wired the convertor I keep the four blue tops charged. So, my 80 amp Xantrex convertor keeps all six batteries charged. It's a great convertor, factory ones suck!
I hear ya Glenn. I think I have the battery problem fixed, but if it doesn't work, I'll just pickup a new one. See above...I'll have some photos up here a little later....family is calling!!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like the trip is shaping up nicely. If you can, smoke out Travis when you meet him....lol

Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tshrager
Sounds like the trip is shaping up nicely. If you can, smoke out Travis when you meet him....lol
Ha, don't I wish! I can't even make a decent amount now with my sorry sticks!

Quick Reply: Texas Trip #2-Ruby Data