Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Junior User

rsplash40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rear doors rattling

All,

I've had the rear barn doors and window start rattling lately no matter how tight I think I've closed them. The seals look ok, any one run into this before?

thanks

Mike
Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Senior User

BigBlkEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes look into the door seal mod. And the bumper stops that needed to be added to the glass door if your are missing them. There are different threads on here to do both
Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Elder User

Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.Restlesswildman has a good reputation on FTE.
I have the same issue. The wife was bothered by it so she climbed around the truck and located the rattle. Turned out to be the tail pipe over the axle.
2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L ,Scan Gauge II, FICMrepair.com ATLAS 40 repaired FICM, Blue Spring Mod, Cleaned and Resealed HFCM(not a mod, but it should be done if you have dirt in it!) SRL tune by Matt, HellWig Rear sway bar, LoadLifter 5000 air bags.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsplash40 View Post
All,

I've had the rear barn doors and window start rattling lately no matter how tight I think I've closed them. The seals look ok, any one run into this before?

thanks

Mike
Try leaving them open a bit to make sure that is truly it.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Senior User

BigBlkEX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
Try leaving them open a bit to make sure that is truly it.
Hahaha I could only imagine how that would look going down the road with all 3 doors open!! :-) :-) :-) and have his wife drive the truck and him holding on the back listening for a rattle!!! Hahaha.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Post Fiend

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlkEX View Post
Hahaha I could only imagine how that would look going down the road with all 3 doors open!! :-) :-) :-) and have his wife drive the truck and him holding on the back listening for a rattle!!! Hahaha.
I didn't say wide open.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:25 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.hav24wheel has a spectacular reputation.
The door seal mod fixed the rattle on mine. I even did the big seal around the rear opening without taking it off. That one is a huge pain and you need a helper along with more lube than you would think.

Dave

2003 Excursion Limited, V10, 4.88s, 315/75R16s on 16x10s
100% posting from iPhone
Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
The door seal mod fixed the rattle on mine. I even did the big seal around the rear opening without taking it off. That one is a huge pain and you need a helper along with more lube than you would think.
Was there any way you could modify the latch to make them close a bit tighter?
Old 08-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Elder User

jayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to alljayjjcc is a name known to all
fwiw I did the door seal mod on the 3 little pieces of door and changed the entire big seal for a brand new OEM one and I still have the noise I thought was the doors...
Old 08-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior User

johntpr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...rs-down-2.html
2002 Excursion Limited, Black/Gold , 7.3 Diesel, 70,000 miles from California, Hellwig rear Sway bar, 6.0 trans cooler, Magnafine filter, Rancho 9000 XL shocks, Michelin M/S2 tires, Husky Liners, Super duty rear end cover, Husky Painted Splash Guards, Hood deflector, Motorcraft 1759 air box, 05 Painted black grille, powdercoated black ft bumper, Waxoyl undercoating, severe duty brake pads, Jimmi Jammers, door handles w/o lock cylinders, re-insulated A/C lines to rear of truck, XRF Ball Joints and Ft end kit, Timken front hubs
Old 08-17-2014, 04:31 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.Tylus has a spectacular reputation.
Try the door seal mod. It's $5-10 per door and makes a world of difference. Even if that isn't the ultimate noise, you'll have a better sealed and quieter X.

You'll need about 12ft of 3/8 of LATEX tubing for each door. Make sure to get latex as rubber and nylon will get overly hard in cold weather. I've bought some from Lowes, and eBay. Deals are out there if you look

I keep meaning to do my rear hatch. It's the only 1 left and you can tell it needs it compared to the other 4

As far as adjusting the striker plate, yes you can move it in to make the door tighter. Only positive of it IMO is the cost. You run the risk of the doors contacting body parts and it's only a bandaide
Old 08-17-2014, 04:31 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs