Sharing a thought about traveling with full dump tanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I'm sure you'll find some folks out there that will argue with you.
....ain't that the truth!!

Plus someone will want water weight in Imperial or metric units too

Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
water weight in metric is super easy. One liter equals one kilogram.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Donhutch1800
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holding tanks

Not sure why we have holding tanks if you can't travel with them somewhat full.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Donhutch1800
Not sure why we have holding tanks if you can't travel with them somewhat full.

Some are well supported and some are not, but the intention was to offer a means of using an RV when full hookups were not available and then dumping them as soon as possible. Traveling distancing with them full means a lot of weight is bouncing around with the movement of the RV.

It is not common place for them to drop out, but I have seen then crack and I think prudent use might be to not have them full while underway. I don't think using them on the road is harmful as most folks don't fill them while traveling.

I don't think the issue is "full or empty", just not to unduly stress supports of fastener for no reason.

Steve

Old 06-16-2015, 04:34 AM
Captain 'Murica
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thomabb
A couple years back I was a couple cars behind an older motorhome leaving a NASCAR race when the black tank dropped out and spilled its contents all over the highway. I got about halfway through saying "I hope that wasn't his black tank" before the smell cut me off short. Apparently no chemicals in there either, just used beer.

I can't imagine the mess you had to clean up off of your truck and trailer

Old 06-16-2015, 12:19 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Some are well supported and some are not, but the intention was to offer a means of using an RV when full hookups were not available and then dumping them as soon as possible. Traveling distancing with them full means a lot of weight is bouncing around with the movement of the RV.

It is not common place for them to drop out, but I have seen then crack and I think prudent use might be to not have them full while underway. I don't think using them on the road is harmful as most folks don't fill them while traveling.

I don't think the issue is "full or empty", just not to unduly stress supports of fastener for no reason.

Steve
Steve,

Can you talk about tank cracking a little more. I have a 93 Airstream with the water tank cracked on top. I was told that age was a factor and that cracked poly tanks cannot be reliably repaired. I have not had it fixed yet.

My In-laws have a 79 Airstream and the water tank cracked at the water punp hose suction fitting. They were told repairs could not be made and tank must be replaced. It is a bluish plastic?

Both campers it is just the water tank cracked the others are original with no issues. Thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 12:43 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
It is difficult to speak definitively to tank failure and I have actually seen more unsupported tanks drop off than crack. I do agree age is a factor, but there are plenty of old tanks out there doing fine.

You can plastic weld any type of tank, but unless you want to try it yourself, I don't think you will find anyone willing to do. When we actually practiced it in school years ago, the statement was that the weld was actually stronger than the original, much like a mended broken bone. There are also patch kits available, although I have never used them and cannot speak to their reliability.

The problem is you have to drop the tank and if the repair fails, the cost of covering the failure with a new tank and dropping and reinstalling is too great a risk for dealerships.

The customer made tanks made of polyethylene by All Rite Custom All-Rite Holding Tanks - RV Holding Tanks - All-Rite.com are really nice, but pricey.

Northern Tool sells the plastic welding kits http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6118_200626118 which is basically like a soldering iron that heats the plastic and you use a plastic rod to fill the gap so you end up with something that looks like welding with metal. I haven't done it for years, although I believe there are still some techs in the field who do it.

Steve

Old 06-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
It is difficult to speak definitively to tank failure and I have actually seen more unsupported tanks drop off than crack. I do agree age is a factor, but there are plenty of old tanks out there doing fine.

You can plastic weld any type of tank, but unless you want to try it yourself, I don't think you will find anyone willing to do. When we actually practiced it in school years ago, the statement was that the weld was actually stronger than the original, much like a mended broken bone. There are also patch kits available, although I have never used them and cannot speak to their reliability.

The problem is you have to drop the tank and if the repair fails, the cost of covering the failure with a new tank and dropping and reinstalling is too great a risk for dealerships.

The customer made tanks made of polyethylene by All Rite Custom All-Rite Holding Tanks - RV Holding Tanks - All-Rite.com are really nice, but pricey.

Northern Tool sells the plastic welding kits Urethane Supply Company Mini-Weld Model 7 Plastic Welder — 120 Volt, 200 Watt, Model# 7 | Plastic Welding| Northern Tool + Equipment which is basically like a soldering iron that heats the plastic and you use a plastic rod to fill the gap so you end up with something that looks like welding with metal. I haven't done it for years, although I believe there are still some techs in the field who do it.

Steve

When I was a kid there was a toy called a "Spin Welder" I think. It looked like a drill but instead of a drill bit it had a plastic piece that got hot from the friction of it spinning against the plastic being welded. You took me back to my childhood. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks Steve