I know, trailer tires again. Heavy 16's

Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
those appear to have a 75mph speed rating ... seems like that ought to be enough ....
looks good.

just for the sake of conversation, and because it was mentioned above, not all ST tires are rated at 65mph. if not listed otherwise, then 65mph should be the rule, but many are listing a speed rating now.

THESE are an ST tire, LRG (index 129 = 4079 lbs) with a speed rating of "N" which equates to 87mph.

One thing to keep in mind about buying a G rated tire is that the load rating comes at 110psi. not a problem for some, but for me with my el-cheap-o compressor, i can't get them much above 90 psi.

i get the whole china bomb issue, but if one is stuck buying tires made in china, i think an ST rated tire with an appropriate speed rating is a viable option.
THESE are an ST LRE (load index 125 = 3638 lbs) with a speed rating "L" good for 75mph as well.

The benefit here, for me, is that with an ST tire, you can get the load rating with an LRE which is rated at 80psi vs 110psi with an LT LRG.

As stated, this is not a problem for everyone, but i can't be the only one who has a difficult time getting them up to 110 psi.

keeping in mind that load capacity goes down with pressure, you need to keep those LT-LRG's (load index 126) at at least 103 psi in order to carry 3500lbs each.

the ST-LRG's from discount tire (load index 129) you could run as low as 95psi and still hold 3500lbs.

just a few things to keep in mind.... mostly that if you are going to run an LT-LRG on a 7k axle, you NEED to make SURE you run that at 110psi, or you will overload the tires.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Well, 2 got mounted up today. Didn't get to pick them up, but they'll be delivered tomorrow night, along with a 3rd. Had to look at the bearings on the L/R and gave the tire a spin before I pulled it. Giant lump. Pulled it off and the tread is starting to peel apart. Let the air out of it and made some calls, not gonna leave the 110 PSI bomb inflated. Good news is my dad has a buddy that works for the company I'm getting them from, and he lives under a mile from me, so I dropped #3 off there and he'll bring them home tomorrow. Saves some hassle anyway.

My cheapie oil free sears compressor won't air them up either. Luckily, I've got a powerful screw compressor on my work truck that will do the job easily. On the other hand, running anything with steel in the sidewall much under max PSI isn't a great idea. I've seen and heard a few explode, and it's not something I'd care to see any more of.

Supposed to be leaving to head to Watkins Glen for the weekend Friday night and I don't need any headaches from this thing. Jacked up the R/R and spun it, looks ok for now. I'll leave it for one more run, since I wasn't really planning to spend $800 on trailer tires this month, and won't be running very heavy. Wasn't planning on $600 either, but gotta do what needs done. Judging by the tread remaining I thought I had plenty of time. Apparently not.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:12 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re compressors...
I got the sears version of
this one this one
and it will get my truck tires to 80 psi easily and will get the rv tires up to 110 with a lil patience

Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Re compressors...
I got the sears version of this one and it will get my truck tires to 80 psi easily and will get the rv tires up to 110 with a lil patience
You are a braver man then me to squat in front of a tire and fill it to 110 lbs.

I squirm at 90, regardless of the rating, especially after a year or two or three.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who says I do ?

2 reasons:
1) I can't squat for that long - seems too much like work or reminds me of my visits to the open bathrooms in the middle east
2) have a locking connector that I put on and watch the gauge from the side !

but actually, these g614's actually hold their pressure very well - don't know that I've added any in a year.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Who says I do ?

2 reasons:
1) I can't squat for that long - seems too much like work or reminds me of my visits to the open bathrooms in the middle east
2) have a locking connector that I put on and watch the gauge from the side !

but actually, these g614's actually hold their pressure very well - don't know that I've added any in a year.
That was braver and "smarter" too.

I hear ya, the word "squat" can bring back many memories. Some not so good!