Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2015+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
You got rid of a car because of something that MIGHT happen to it? And you currently own a 6.7L with the much maligned CP4 injection pump?
No, don't think I said anything about getting out of it because of a potential issue... that was your ASSumption...

it was a lease and time to get out of it...
just like we leased the explorer sport (that the wife (and I) are very happy with up to this point) will have to go back at some point...

BUT, there were many reports on the forums about the Audi/VW/Skoda 2.0 DI turboed gas engines having build up issues around the 40 to 50k mark... and since the ecoboost is basically a turbo-ed DI gas engine, thought it was relevant but didn't realize I had posted it in the 2015 section... last time I was in here the 2015 section was not the first forum
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 09-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Senior User

The Oldtimer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Expanding on my last post, besides a lead foot, excessive heat and oil starvation are likely the main reasons for turbo failure...look it up. Turbocharging has been around long enough for the various manufacturers to solve these issues. GM has direct injection on several cars. Does anyone know if they are having the same problem with carbon buildup on the back of the valves?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Freshman User

sabre364 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oldtimer View Post
Expanding on my last post, besides a lead foot, excessive heat and oil starvation are likely the main reasons for turbo failure...look it up. Turbocharging has been around long enough for the various manufacturers to solve these issues. GM has direct injection on several cars. Does anyone know if they are having the same problem with carbon buildup on the back of the valves?
The 3.6 LFX v6 used in everything from the camaro to the cadillacs to the new colorado/canyon has a ****ton of carbon buildup issues...because just like everyone else except toyota they are not using an accessory injector to clean the valves.

Certainly robs power as the mileage goes up...is it going to cause a catastrophic engine failure, well the jury is still out on that one, with the amount of di engines out there with all this carbon, I would say no. I don't know anything about turbos and di so I can't comment on that, but for sure almost every mass produced di gas engine out today has these carbon/coking issues.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
If they could come up with a solid and reliable water/meth injection system I think that could probably solve the issue. It would add cost due to extra parts and you would have to buy and fill the water/meth tank. But an added benefit would be more power, reduced intake and exhaust temps and etc. I would imagine it would help greatly to keep temps down when towing heavier loads.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
If they could come up with a solid and reliable water/meth injection system I think that could probably solve the issue. It would add cost due to extra parts and you would have to buy and fill the water/meth tank. But an added benefit would be more power, reduced intake and exhaust temps and etc. I would imagine it would help greatly to keep temps down when towing heavier loads.
I think it would be easier and cheaper to just add an extra port injector like Toyota has on their DI engines. The brand new Subaru DI engines also have the extra injector (but they are partially owned by Toyota and share technology).

I buy vehicles with a 200k mile target (even if I sell after 100k they will have resale value) and frankly I don't feel good about anything with DI at this time.

George
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM