Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ecoboost is having the same induction issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
You got rid of a car because of something that MIGHT happen to it? And you currently own a 6.7L with the much maligned CP4 injection pump?
No, don't think I said anything about getting out of it because of a potential issue... that was your ASSumption...

it was a lease and time to get out of it...
just like we leased the explorer sport (that the wife (and I) are very happy with up to this point) will have to go back at some point...

BUT, there were many reports on the forums about the Audi/VW/Skoda 2.0 DI turboed gas engines having build up issues around the 40 to 50k mark... and since the ecoboost is basically a turbo-ed DI gas engine, thought it was relevant but didn't realize I had posted it in the 2015 section... last time I was in here the 2015 section was not the first forum

Old 09-08-2014, 02:03 PM
The Oldtimer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expanding on my last post, besides a lead foot, excessive heat and oil starvation are likely the main reasons for turbo failure...look it up. Turbocharging has been around long enough for the various manufacturers to solve these issues. GM has direct injection on several cars. Does anyone know if they are having the same problem with carbon buildup on the back of the valves?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 PM
sabre364
Freshman User
Originally Posted by The Oldtimer
Expanding on my last post, besides a lead foot, excessive heat and oil starvation are likely the main reasons for turbo failure...look it up. Turbocharging has been around long enough for the various manufacturers to solve these issues. GM has direct injection on several cars. Does anyone know if they are having the same problem with carbon buildup on the back of the valves?
The 3.6 LFX v6 used in everything from the camaro to the cadillacs to the new colorado/canyon has a ****ton of carbon buildup issues...because just like everyone else except toyota they are not using an accessory injector to clean the valves.

Certainly robs power as the mileage goes up...is it going to cause a catastrophic engine failure, well the jury is still out on that one, with the amount of di engines out there with all this carbon, I would say no. I don't know anything about turbos and di so I can't comment on that, but for sure almost every mass produced di gas engine out today has these carbon/coking issues.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:13 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If they could come up with a solid and reliable water/meth injection system I think that could probably solve the issue. It would add cost due to extra parts and you would have to buy and fill the water/meth tank. But an added benefit would be more power, reduced intake and exhaust temps and etc. I would imagine it would help greatly to keep temps down when towing heavier loads.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
If they could come up with a solid and reliable water/meth injection system I think that could probably solve the issue. It would add cost due to extra parts and you would have to buy and fill the water/meth tank. But an added benefit would be more power, reduced intake and exhaust temps and etc. I would imagine it would help greatly to keep temps down when towing heavier loads.
I think it would be easier and cheaper to just add an extra port injector like Toyota has on their DI engines. The brand new Subaru DI engines also have the extra injector (but they are partially owned by Toyota and share technology).

I buy vehicles with a 200k mile target (even if I sell after 100k they will have resale value) and frankly I don't feel good about anything with DI at this time.

George

Old 01-01-2015, 03:06 PM
mjd2k
New User
I have a 2011 3.5 with 92kmiles. I had the induction done at 65k miles when I first bought the truck used.

If I caused damage, would I have noticed it by now?

Is the can a good way to avoid this issue? Wonder if its too late to put one on now.

Edit.
I'm just looking over my bills and realize the ford dealership did an injector service on my truck when they did an oil change. Was about 1.5 years ago and can't remember what it included. Wasn't an issue back at that point.

I'm pretty sure many people have had the induction service done by now and doubt there are many failures to date.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:32 AM
CTBob
Freshman User
I have a 2011 F150 with 3.5 EB. Have had misfire issues from the start and had all of Ford's TSBs done on it. In fact I was part of the class action suit against Ford on the EB misfire issue which was dismissed by the courts. I now have 70K miles on it and when I accelerate HARD up a grade (such as an entrance ramp to a highway) the engine misfires terribly as it reaches high RPMs as it shifts through the gears. Especially noticeable when engine is cold. Reminds of the old days with carburetor motors when you had to occasionally blow them out with hard acceleration to burn out the carbon. I want to order a new 2015 but am not sure as to which engine to go with. I want good fuel economy and am considering the new 2.7 EB in hopes that this second generation EB may be a better design. ???

Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CTBob
I have a 2011 F150 with 3.5 EB. Have had misfire issues from the start and had all of Ford's TSBs done on it. In fact I was part of the class action suit against Ford on the EB misfire issue which was dismissed by the courts. I now have 70K miles on it and when I accelerate HARD up a grade (such as an entrance ramp to a highway) the engine misfires terribly as it reaches high RPMs as it shifts through the gears. Especially noticeable when engine is cold. Reminds of the old days with carburetor motors when you had to occasionally blow them out with hard acceleration to burn out the carbon. I want to order a new 2015 but am not sure as to which engine to go with. I want good fuel economy and am considering the new 2.7 EB in hopes that this second generation EB may be a better design. ???
Have you pulled the plugs to check gap or replaced them?

Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 AM
CTBob
Freshman User
No I haven't Sounds like an easy solution. Will give it a try.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:09 PM
mjd2k
New User
Hmmm. I am totally not a mechanic but...if all the Tsb's have been done, I'm sure they changed plugs somewhere along the way.
My eb was misfiring on hard acceleration enough to bring on a steady code. I took it to a jiffy lube and got them to read the code. Misfire on cylinder six (why is it always 1 or 6?). I changed the plugs cause it was easy and cheap $60. Misfire still there so I changed the coil pack. No misfire now.
I could have moved around coil packs before I bought one but I figured changing plugs is a good thing and I don't have a code reader, which meant a triip to a parts store so they could re-read the code and see if the misfire moved. Just easier to change the coil pack

Old 01-04-2015, 05:39 PM
CTBob
Freshman User
Neither plugs or coils have ever been changed. Next time in I will have Ford service check it out again.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:23 PM
mjd2k
New User
Originally Posted by CTBob
Neither plugs or coils have ever been changed. Next time in I will have Ford service check it out again.
I'm guessing it's just plugs or a coil pack because that was my exact symptom and fix. Wouldn't it be great for you if it turns out to be such an easy fix!!

Old 01-12-2015, 06:11 PM
david schmidt
Freshman User
An interesting note to add to this thread - any of you guys check out the new Ford GT debuted today? It has the 3.5 EB engine now with 2 injectors per cylinder. One direct and one in the intake port. I'm not sure (at all) if this is because it needs more fuel for increased power, if this is common to '2nd gen' EB engines, a combination of both or what but it seemed pretty relevant to this topic.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 PM
americansteel
Freshman User
The Eco turd and 5.0 engines do not use EGR they use tivct this was a so called solution. In reality vct does not aid in low end torque and upper power increase.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by americansteel
The Eco turd and 5.0 engines do not use EGR they use tivct this was a so called solution. In reality vct does not aid in low end torque and upper power increase.
In reality you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost is having the same induction issues