Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 PM
New User

Ace_of_Spades is starting off with a positive reputation.
I should also add that the truck sags on the passengers side when driving down the road which is also a possible sign of weak leafs, right? I did not think about swapping the leafs out to coils, and it sounds like it would be a cheaper fix. That or add another leaf? And I think the only reason I haven't taken my truck off-road (other than I've just never went exploring that much with it) is that it has consistently gotten worse over the years.

I can see how people might like this suspension and that it was popular for so many years in production, but for everyday general use, it sucks. As it has aged just like so many others, it sags which makes for an uncomfortable ride. It has never been the pie-in-the-sky ride and leaves me more than frustrated than anything.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Swapping from leafs to coils is a MAJOR undertaking and YOU will be making one off pieces to do so
Old 08-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Posting Guru

Nothing Special has a very good reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a very good reputation on FTE.Nothing Special has a very good reputation on FTE.
In general, if you aren't happy with your stock leaf TTB suspension, the easiest / cheapest fix is to repair what you have, make sure everything is as good as new.

It sounds like you've already done this and "as good as new" isn't good enough for you. The only tried and proven easy fix from there that I'm aware of is a solid axle swap.

As Brad said, swapping to coils would be a custom fab job. Great opportunity for improvements, as long as you're capable of doing it (I don't know that I would be). But not what most would call cheap or easy.

Adding a spring leaf might keep you from bottoming, but the spring rate is pretty stiff already, so no guarantee it will be acceptable with another leaf.

Just getting new replacement springs might be an option. If they are sagging that might be needed to get to "good as new".

I've never looked into lift kits for an F-250 TTB. There might be something out there that gives a little more wheel travel, so that might be worth a little research.

It really comes down to the fact that it's a marginal system to start with. a few people like it, most of us can tolerate it, and a few need to upgrade. If you're in that third group a SAS is probably your best bet.

My toys: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...-jeep-etc.html
Old 08-19-2014, 11:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks