6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How to "Delete" forgive my ignorance

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
Yes, you are correct that is what I typed:

I missed typed, but there is absolutely no way for anyone to know that. That hit is on me.

But let's look at the legality of it all.

Go here for what the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has to say about it as it applies to Texas law.

Now, I'm not going to look up at all 50 states (and territories), but I would be willing to bet that there is something along the lines of the same thing for all.

You drive a Ford, I drive a Ford, friends?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,966 Likes on 2,187 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Lol, dealers up here are selling them deleted for Pete's sake. Also on the gear, why not just store it in the shed and throw it back on when trade in time comes?

I know where my gear is
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
dead on man... I don't understand why guys don't keep the original equipment put up.. I know right where everything from dpf to intake to headlights... anytime I've traded in...dealer always says original/stock is the best sellers for them...so they get the best trade in value... NOT TO HARP on this still....but I know 3 well known dealerships here in florida that delete/add tuners.. so are they taking a chance?? who knows but they sell trucks every day of the year...
x3. Dealers around here have no issues with taking deleted truck in on trade, but I know where all my original equipment is.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone has gotten way of course from what is the real issue the OP needs to address. You can't buy a tuner for 2013 and up 6.7L that allows deletes, not in the USA anyway. I heard some place in Canada was selling them but asked some builders and nobody has heard of them.

You CAN go to a diesel shop and buy a tuner and several/many will also sell the added "custom tunes" that will then allow you to delete.

You also asked about reliability. Be very, very specific about what you tell them you want your truck to do. Do you want to go to truck pulls and win and win, then need a rebuild of rods, injectors, fuel pump, lift pump, and turbo?
Or do you want to go to truck pulls for "fun" and have the engine last a long time? They will need to keep the timing of the boost slow and don't allow cylinder pressure to build to much too soon.

Just my 2 cents, make sure they understand what type of off road activities you will be doing.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
Everyone has gotten way of course from what is the real issue the OP needs to address. You can't buy a tuner for 2013 and up 6.7L that allows deletes, not in the USA anyway. I heard some place in Canada was selling them but asked some builders and nobody has heard of them.

You CAN go to a diesel shop and buy a tuner and several/many will also sell the added "custom tunes" that will then allow you to delete.

You also asked about reliability. Be very, very specific about what you tell them you want your truck to do. Do you want to go to truck pulls and win and win, then need a rebuild of rods, injectors, fuel pump, lift pump, and turbo?
Or do you want to go to truck pulls for "fun" and have the engine last a long time? They will need to keep the timing of the boost slow and don't allow cylinder pressure to build to much too soon.

Just my 2 cents, make sure they understand what type of off road activities you will be doing.
You can buy a tuner that deletes 2013s and 2014s without custom tunes. I just looked up 5 different websites that have them for sale all day everyday. I for one own a 2013 that I tuned and deleted with a tuner that was bought in the US and I do not run custom tunes.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
To answer the question, what do you need to do a delete?

A tuner that will allow you to remove the equipment. You can just remove it and expect the truck to run, because it won't...

Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im fairly certain in my state connecticut the dealer would make sure the emissions equip is on truck.I need to go to emissions and inspection every two yrs.Thats why I ended up buying the 7 yr esp and not deleting because I would have to put all the crap back on and then take it off every two yrs.Not worth it to me.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
If there was no question the truck would be under warranty - I'd delete/tune in a heartbeat. I've been in enough tuned/deleted and even highly modified diesel trucks...

Since I can't afford to pay, I can't afford to play. The cost of the truck is bad enough. I'd wrench the stuff on and off every year. We had emissions in Florida years ago. We had to make the cars run like crap to pass. As soon as we passed we re-adjusted. Now this was mainly on carb'd cars.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:29 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tofan
You can buy a tuner that deletes 2013s and 2014s without custom tunes. I just looked up 5 different websites that have them for sale all day everyday.
Please share then, don't just say it, the place I got mine from got a nice visit from the EPA, so I would like to see these places you speak of. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll use Missouri for an example. Customer trades in a tuned/deleted vehicle (legal). Dealership sells said vehicle in same condition (illegal because of requirement of state inspection, unless sold as is/where is). Customer travels elsewhere, and has a problem with said modifications. Customer then has a right to sue the selling dealership for repairs to make it right.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by vloney
I'll use Missouri for an example. Customer trades in a tuned/deleted vehicle (legal). Dealership sells said vehicle in same condition (illegal because of requirement of state inspection, unless sold as is/where is). Customer travels elsewhere, and has a problem with said modifications. Customer then has a right to sue the selling dealership for repairs to make it right.
The dealer would never sell a vehicle that has those mods anything besides As Is/No Warranty, or at least I would think. You probably see way more of it then I do though.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 PM
garrettwynne
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tex25025
DEF contamination is due to outside issues (how long it's been stored, how it's been stored etc).

Sensor issues are electrical issues. Any bad sensor of a major component could cause that effect. That's just the joy of being an electrical beast. I've had no starts on my tractors due to a bad sensor, doesn't mean that I blame the component that the sensor monitors.

Yes, the more you add, the more that you run the risk of having these little joys to deal with, but that's a reflection of bad sensors, not necessarily the major component that they monitor. Any sensor can flake out like that.

Also, statistically speaking, using the search function in a forum such as this, is going to inherently yield more troubles then anything else as people come to boards like this more often then not seeking answers, so that does skew the pool just a smidge.
DEF contamination is not limited to DEF actually being contamination.

It is most often the NOx sensor. Going through this issue right now with my own truck.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1

Rudy's diesel sells them, one friend has a '13, purchased a H&S MM and deleted his truck, other friend has a '14 and got the tuner and is running DPF present tunes.

H&S MiniMaxx Tuner

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Rudy's diesel sells them, one friend has a '13, purchased a H&S MM and deleted his truck, other friend has a '14 and got the tuner and is running DPF present tunes.

H&S MiniMaxx Tuner

Bam. That is where I got mine from. Just DO NOT buy their EGR delete kit, it is garbage. Get the sinister Diesel one. The end Caps will rot and blow a hole leaving you without coolant in your secondary system.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
The EGR system that was on the 6.0 is not the same one thats on the 6.7. It is more refined, yet it's still prone to failures.

I want you to go to every dealership that sells Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, Challengers, etc. Do the vast majority of those sales still have the stock cat on them? Yes, but there are the "special" models that the dealership removes, throws on straights, loudmouths, flow masters, etc and sells them. The only difference is that they pollute more! I understand your point from your personal view, but that same personal view in my 6+ states of living shows that dealers do and will do modifications to the trucks, emissions including to make them more sellable. Even the 6.0s dealers are selling with tuners with the trucks, EGR deletes and straight piped!
I know this is not in the ballpark for comparison, but the 2011 F150 (Harley) I traded had zero stock intake or exhaust equipment, no way it would have passed say Ca. emissions test, I changed the complete exhaust, installed hi-flow cats (not Ca. compliant) 85MM Throttle Body, Throttle Body spacer, and aFe CAI with a jet performance MAF and the truck was tuned....I got top dollar for the trade, I did have all documentation on the truck as well as the original equipment except the stock ehaust system, I did remove the tuner when I traded it. They sold the truck a day or so later... they used the upgrades as "selling points"... of course we are in the South, so the attitude about things are a bit different.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Bam. That is where I got mine from. Just DO NOT buy their EGR delete kit, it is garbage. Get the sinister Diesel one. The end Caps will rot and blow a hole leaving you without coolant in your secondary system.
You aren't the first person that has told me that! I am only planning to purchase the tuner through them, I'll get everything else locally. They delete trucks left and right around my house! Not sure when I'll do it though.

Quick Reply: How to "Delete" forgive my ignorance