Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LF wheel- brakes, hub, bearings, king pins?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:00 PM
BocceMon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LF wheel- brakes, hub, bearings, king pins?

I have had a "clatter" coming from my LF wheel for over a week. I was not too concerned because when the brakes are applied very lightly it goes away & I thought perhaps it was a loose keeper or something simple. Hopefully it is.

I jacked it up this morning (first day off) to investigate. I spun the tire & could not duplicate the noise. I took the tire off to check the brakes & all is in order visibly. I re-installed the tire & checked for play. Side to side the wheel has zero play. Top to bottom there is about 1/8th inch play back & forth.

I had the rotors replaced about 4-5 months ago. The 4WD works without a hitch.

I know nothing about 4WD hubs or how to get to the bearings. My question is simply this: What could this be & how do I investigate further? Could this be a kingpin problem? Loose bearing? Something unseen in the brakes? Need a little help here in this corner! Thanks!

EDIT to add: '92 F-150 LXT Flareside 4WD, EO4D, 5.8

Last edited by BocceMon; 08-15-2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Truck specs
Old 08-15-2014, 05:08 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BocceMon
I have had a "clatter" coming from my LF wheel for over a week. I was not too concerned because when the brakes are applied very lightly it goes away & I thought perhaps it was a loose keeper or something simple. Hopefully it is.

I jacked it up this morning (first day off) to investigate. I spun the tire & could not duplicate the noise. I took the tire off to check the brakes & all is in order visibly. I re-installed the tire & checked for play. Side to side the wheel has zero play. Top to bottom there is about 1/8th inch play back & forth.

I had the rotors replaced about 4-5 months ago. The 4WD works without a hitch.

I know nothing about 4WD hubs or how to get to the bearings. My question is simply this: What could this be & how do I investigate further? Could this be a kingpin problem? Loose bearing? Something unseen in the brakes? Need a little help here in this corner! Thanks!

EDIT to add: '92 F-150 LXT Flareside 4WD, EO4D, 5.8

Side to side ( in your case no movement) suggests that the wheel bearing end play is "ok", but that still wouldn't rule those components out as the source of the noise. That 1/8th top to bottom is excessive (normally you want 1/32rd or lower movement) and may suggest bad ball joints.

I'd pull the caliber (couple minute operation) inspect the retainer for the pads, check the pads for cracks.......check/clean-up the caliber mounting pin assemblies, etc.............after that , you'll have to get in behind the hub and inspect bearings, etc in the drive axle............it takes abrout 5-10 minutes to get in there...........

Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM
BocceMon
Senior User
Thank you!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:20 PM
krooser
Elder User
When you grab the wheel at the top and bottom and wiggle the wheel you will be checking the play in the wheel bearings. When you wiggle the wheel at 9 and 3 you will be checking for slop in the steering.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 PM
BocceMon
Senior User
Originally Posted by krooser
When you grab the wheel at the top and bottom and wiggle the wheel you will be checking the play in the wheel bearings. When you wiggle the wheel at 9 and 3 you will be checking for slop in the steering.
Grabbing the wheel at the top and bottom I get about 1/8th inch in/out play. I should then check the bearings I assume. I'm also assuming that there should be no play, correct? Since I do not know a thing about hubs nor do I have the tools (I've read that a special wrench is needed) I will have to take it to a shop to have them checked.

Thank you for this info.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BocceMon
Grabbing the wheel at the top and bottom I get about 1/8th inch in/out play. I should then check the bearings I assume. I'm also assuming that there should be no play, correct? Since I do not know a thing about hubs nor do I have the tools (I've read that a special wrench is needed) I will have to take it to a shop to have them checked.

Thank you for this info.

Again, as a rule of thumb, grabbing the tire at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions (per the Ford Truck Shop Manuals) and pushing inward and outward with the tire off the ground is Ford's first order check for Wheel Bearing End Play.

(There is a separate 9 and 3 o'clock position steering component test with vehicle on the ground, but that involves someone turning the steering wheel while you watch for movement in the respective steering related components -- you can also do this with the tire off the ground, same procedure (but it shows up more "loaded" ---i.e. under vehicle weight).

Grabbing the tire (off the ground again) at the top and bottom and pushing in/out is Ford's first order check for Upper and Lower Ball Joint Inspection (any movement greater than 0.794mm (1/32 inch or greater movement) indicates a ball joint problem) -- note: this check is normally done AFTER the wheel bearing end play is set / established.

As for getting the hub off, the configuration is different if you have automatic or manual hubs and you will need special tools to remove the locknuts, retainers, etc.

--