1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Newb with lots of Q's and pics :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
pploco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb with lots of Q's and pics :)

Picked up this project 3/4 finished. I've had many projects, but mostly subarus and volkswagens. I couldn't resist the rat rod look, but am totally clueless on the classic truck scene.

The good:
Interior is finished and very clean
PO converted to a brand new c4 tranny
Brand new (rebuilt) 5.0 with roller cam (from T-bird I believe)
Lots of goodies included
Suspension, brakes, undercarriage, rear end all redone

The not so good:
- Paint is pretty rough
- I have no idea what kit was used for the serpentine conversion, I'd like to have power steering, but no clue what my options are here.
- No baffles drilled in the valve covers??
- Need to figure out a different thermostat housing, the existing one gets in the way of the alternator brace. Do they make a rotated one, or do I have to get creative??

Wonder if you could give me some tips on what to look for. I know I need to figure out a dipstick. It needs wiring -I believe he has a high torque starter. Need to figure out power steering, and various odds and ends.

A few Pics:

Old 12-04-2012, 04:34 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
pploco Welcome to FTE & the bumpside forum. Hey it's always a good idea to use the preview post button after a photo is added to see if it to done correctly.

John

Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
pploco
New User
Yeah I previewed it beforehand and the pics showed up...odd

Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome. Seems more like Flicker screwed with the links? I've seen problems with that hosting site before.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I have heard flicker issues before that's why i use Photobucket free and easy to use .

Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
pploco
New User
Just posted pics via google. Let me know if that works...

Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if i click on the image and go to your google+ site i can see them but not here.....

Good looking truck, for questions about the engine i think you would have better luck here:Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums but i am sure people here will have some ideas too.

The valve covers are aftermarket for sure, going to be interesting getting 5 quarts down the dipstick tube for an oil change, unless you have another plan for the valve covers.

The paint i really like that burnt red color looks cool.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Tadaa..............got them here for you.

Those valve covers look like the cheap chinese knock offs. They come without holes, you need to hole saw some in and put a breather in them. Don't think the engine will like being completely plugged off!

Need a thermostat housing from a 1980's Fox body mustang. They shoot straight up if I recall correctly. Might have to ditch that GM distributer though (ugh, why did anyone come up with that monstrosity for a FORD?). Not bad for a chevy when it's in the back and no one can see it. Up front of a Ford, it's rediculous looking and larger/taller then the carb.

The serpentine set up is just an alternator(in stock Vbelt location) and a water pump pulley. Something not right, as the water pump pulley looks like reverse rotation(no ribs). Better confirm before you over heat it. Besides something aftermarket(ie: expensive), why not look at brackets from a 1980's pickup? That would mount the powersteering for you. Might not look fancy but would work. They bolt on the front of the head/waterpump.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM
pploco
New User

Thanks for the help with pics and advice! BTW, how did you get the pics to work?

I thought as much on the valve covers - not too worried about cutting holes.

The previous owner was an interior guy - hence the nice interior. Not sure what he had in mind for much of the custom bits. Looks like I need to take a trip to the junkyard and source some parts.

So freightrain, if I smell what you're laying down, I have the wrong water pump for a serpentine setup?

No clue what was intended with the distributor...

Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

I went to your google site, right click on picture, hit properties. Copy the link in the little box that pops up and pasted it to here using the "picture" icon. Presto!!

Those valve covers are nice, as they are a clean piece. Do with what you want then.

Belt situation scares me, so you need to confirm what he got started. Most NON ribbed pulleys were for reverse rotation pumps(the belt ran over it on the top side== no ribs on pulley). Need to confirm what water pump is there. Std or reverse rotation then build from there. Even if you have to get new one once you find parts to mount pump.

I can get you a shot of my '89 truck motor to give you some ideas.

I hate those DUI type chevy distributors. Plain old stock version is better, but just my opinion.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
I'd start over on the belt system. Just go get the whole set up from a junkyard car. Get the water pump too because they run backwards. It will save you frustration in the long run. Get the s3 alternator while your at it, best alternator Ford ever made IMO and easy to wire in.
Personally, I'd ditch the cheesy valve covers and get a set with the proper filler/pcv holes.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
pploco
New User
Yeah, I'm beginning to think the PO was more interested in bling than function. I'm sure I can sell this chrome alternator for a pretty penny and get everything else I need...

Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pploco
Yeah, I'm beginning to think the PO was more interested in bling than function. I'm sure I can sell this chrome alternator for a pretty penny and get everything else I need...
That's not uncommon, especially if it was a younger person. How many trucks have you seen in multiple different colors of body panels that had the high dollar wheels already on.
Very often we have to recheck and re-do a lot of the work previous owners did. Either because it wasn't done right or not to our taste. Nice truck, good luck with it.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
pploco
New User
So I gathered a little more detail from the previous owner. The drivetrain came from a 1993 T-bird. It has a roller cam and was rebuilt and the heads were refreshed. The summit racing fan required a new pully on the water pump - no grooves. So I should be okay?... yay, nay?

Could I just go and find another T-bird or stang and swipe the PS pump and bracket? Heck, I'm tempted to go get an EFI setup while I'm at it.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:54 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
$.02

The mechanical fan is too far away from the radiator to do any good. It'll be spinning there robbing the engine of HP. 'Might oughtta think about a longer fan spacer and fan shroud or going electric.

Nice project.. I dig the patina, white walls, and dog dish hub caps... and a shortbed to boot.

Quick Reply: Newb with lots of Q's and pics :)