Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2004 escape just stopped moving

Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 PM
motogoshow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 escape just stopped moving

sorry guys first time on a forum so bare with me here. i bought an escape here a couple days ago. the guy i bought it from said he was driving down the road and came to a stop sign. started to accelerate, felt something slip, drove about 300 feet more then the vehicle just stopped moving under its own power. it still starts and runs fine just doesnt move. it sounds like when your going from neutral to drive and reverse you can hear the forks moving. they had a used transaxle put in about 3,000 miles ago. i hooked up a snap on scan tool and it gave me the active codes:
ECT sensor out of range
turbine speed sensor circuit fault
Turbine speed sensor no signal.
i already checked continuity from the PCM to the TSS and the ground wire from the TSS to the battery. anyone have any ideas on this.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 868 Likes on 720 Posts
Busted pump shaft.

See this recent thread for the same thing: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ssion-die.html

Old 05-26-2014, 06:35 PM
motogoshow
New User
is that common with these transmissions? what would cause that? and i assume the whole transaxle has to be dropped. also, any way to test it/check it/ or look at it to determine thats at fault

Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Not very.
Bad luck.
Yes.
Yes, a shop can do that if you want them to. Your symptoms are pretty clear that it's a failure in the input section of the tranny.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:43 AM
motogoshow
New User
yeah i figured it was gonna come down to that. but i have little invested into the vehicle so i dont feel to bad about putting some money into it. i already found another escape of the same year/engine/trans for almost nothing. so ill have roughly $1500 total wrapped up in a pretty decent escape for my old lady and my 2 month old son. now, unless its not to much of a problem to replace that input, is it pretty easy to change that input out? sorry about all the questions. i went to college for crotch rockets and work on tractors lol kinda skipped over the automobiles.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 PM
motogoshow
New User
oh, when i ran the scanner it also said that the range sensor in the trans was out of range also, idk if that helps or changes anything

Old 05-29-2014, 08:00 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
After you read the link posted, compare symptoms to yours. They sound the same to me.

If the pump shaft shears, you will have no pump pressure lubricating the transmission, nor any available to engage the servos and clutch packs. It cannot 'connect' anything to make the power transfer through the transmission in any gear position.
The range selector may be out of position, or the sensor where the gear selection cable connects may be loose, or the wires not firmly in the socket. I do not know if that would deny the transmission the ability to select a gear position, but it seems the computer must know what gear in order to activate the proper solenoids.
tom

Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
If a CD4E won't move with the shifter in R or manual 2nd, it's busted internally. Both of those settings are hydraulically selected, not electronically.

Since the TSS sensor reads off the input stator of the pump and you're not getting any readings, that's yet another good indication the shaft has sheared.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
That info pretty much puts a fork in it. Watching on Youtube, it doesn't seem to be a particularly hard transmission to work on. If I had one die, I'd give fixing it a whirl. Not fun pulling half-shafts, but that's the way things are made these days.
tom

Old 06-28-2014, 05:53 AM
motogoshow
New User
oooooook guys, finally got the transaxle pulled. i checked the oil drive rod and thats fine. i put a pair of pliars on the insput shaft and it moves pretty easy. now the torque converter on the other hand, has the input shaft splines spun right off in the torque converter. my question is, do i just throw a new torque converter in and hope for the best? i can throw a pic of it up later if u guys want.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
After doing all the work of removal, I would continue on with a disassembly & inspection. Taking it apart & putting back together will verify that there is or is not a good reason for the splines to have failed. Either something locked up and quickly jammed the gears, while the engine kept spinning, shearing off the splines, or it was faulty or poorly designed(too weak?) from the beginning.
You will (!!Will!!) kick yourself if you replace the converter and it immediately happens again. Your choice. Check the you tube by Hiram:

YouTube watch?v=qAVjLeQd94Q

cut and paste the above into a browser ... (I can't stop it from trying to embed the vid.)

Good idea of what happens, along with a few tips on common wear points. It is
not rocket science or brain surgery. Hiram is generous with disclosing his hints. Many techs refuse to share, believing that they are taking food off the table at home, rather than being in a give and take where they can learn other 'tricks'... Soapbox setting off.
tom

Last edited by tomw; 06-28-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: fix url?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:17 PM
motogoshow
New User
craaaaaaazy thought guys. ok the escape is a 2004, idk what year the transaxle is, and assuming the torque converter is for a 2004. now could the transmission have a slightly smaller input shaft if its older then the 04 transmission that came out of it? like some serial break or anything like that

Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 AM
motogoshow
New User
well got the transaxle pulled and slid the torque converter off, guess what, all the splines in the torque converter were gone. and i also forgot to say that the oil that came out of the trans was almost black like used engine oil out of a diesel. i didnt wanna take a gamble with the old transaxle so i found a rebuilt transaxle and new torque converter for $400 bucks. i put the transaxle in and everything back together in a weekend and has been driving great ever since. put 2,000 miles on and oil still looks brand new like it should.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:23 PM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
Originally Posted by motogoshow
well got the transaxle pulled and slid the torque converter off, guess what, all the splines in the torque converter were gone. and i also forgot to say that the oil that came out of the trans was almost black like used engine oil out of a diesel. i didnt wanna take a gamble with the old transaxle so i found a rebuilt transaxle and new torque converter for $400 bucks. i put the transaxle in and everything back together in a weekend and has been driving great ever since. put 2,000 miles on and oil still looks brand new like it should.
Check your antifreeze just to be on the safe side. Mine did the same thing and it turns out the transmission fluid was mixing with antifreeze and vice versa due to an internal leak in the radiator. The end result, my transmission died because of contaminated fluid and improper lubrication of internal parts. If you see milky, oily residue in your overflow coolant reservoir, beware.