2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

If the next Super Duty had the same cab as the new F150, would you approve?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David, what do you mean it is the new ranger?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Benoit1967
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the fact the cabs are different but at the same time I would not mind them being the same. The overall body should still be different though... I have a super duty, not a 1/2 ton...........

Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would hope that the front would be lengthened enough that it would not be necessary to remove the cab for major engine repairs like the 96 design was. I know that won't happen, but we can hope. I always hope that Ford designs a truck that the time required (labor) to repair would be lower and Ford as well as the others always disappoint me. Henry Ford is rolling over in his grave about this I'm sure. That was the premise under which he founded the company.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
I like the leg room of the F150, but it is lacking in the shoulder room that I like about the 250 and up. If they made the cab longer but still wider it would be perfect obviously.
Exactly. I'm only 5"10 so the i don't need anymore leg room, but if the interior feels too closed in to me, its a on sale. I like the taller roof and extra width the superduty had to offer. Don't like the "chop top" look of the current f150's.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:35 AM
ccoddou
New User
I think they need to keep the body styles the way they are. They are two different classes of trucks and should remain discernible. I'm off my soap box now...

Old 10-06-2014, 08:58 AM
crabhab
Senior User
The 2011+ front grill is so ugly I bought a 2010 F250 as soon as I saw the hideous grill. When it was time to upgrade four years later in Jan 2013 I picked up a Lariat ecoboost 150. You 2011 people who like the front grills are blind.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:57 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I find the F150 is very car or SUV like in both ride and looks. The SD trucks are more truck like and that's what I like in a truck. Huge interior spaces and truck-like ride. I hope that the two models never share a cab.

I like that Ford offers two different truck experiences though. The F150 for some and the SD for others.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bruce, I agree with you 100%. I had a 2005 SD and went to an 06 F150 when the 6.0L was going south. F150 was too car-like for me and marginal for towing my car hauler, so I went back to an 08 Diesel SD. I like the room in the cab better and the 6.4 PS is a good engine once deleted. Go Pack Go from north central Indiana.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:45 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Ford used the same body on the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks from the post war F-1/2/3 to the late 90's F-150/250/350. I would not mind if they went back to that model, although I'm sure that is they did it would just be so they could squeeze more profit out of each truck.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Took a close look at the various spy photos.

I highly doubt that the 2016 Super Duty cab is the exact 2015 F150 cab. Super Duty cab looks like it has different lines, and at least a few of those pics looks like a Mega Cab type.

In any case, I'm sure that Ford is trying to save some money in the design process. There is no reason why Ford could not use some significant amount of structural members, or just the basic design of the F150 cab, but actually stretch it out by a couple of inches and/or tweak it a little bit, while still re-using the basic structure.

Not like money for hours of design work grows on trees.

As for the fenders and engine bay, clearly they are different lengths, and heights.

I am looking forward to the 2016 Super Duty.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,328 Likes on 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerdude
Took a close look at the various spy photos.
Super Duty cab looks like it has different lines, and at least a few of those pics looks like a Mega Cab type.

IMHO the camouflage obviously did it's job well... to fool folks into thinking something is... that isn't. Take a closer look at those so called "mega cab" prototypes. Pure theater. The bra covered appurtenances tacked on aft of the cab end at the sill line of the rear cab window, and do not extend down the back of the cab to the frame. It is a distraction, like painting a prototype with polka dots, or putting padding under the bra side covers to purposely distort the shape of a body line. I wouldn't hold my breath for any "mega cab" from Ford with any type of thick "C" pillar extension as was faked in the camos.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Unless of course you take look at the one interior shot that is out on the web that shows a C pillar on a SD that is about 20 inches across. Looks like standard F-150 rear seats have been installed on that mule, but there is not doubt that the C-pillar is not a carry over from today's SD's. By that shot alone, I'd say a MCish SD does exist and is in testing...and I really hope it becomes a reality. Link to article and picture is below.

Based on the number of MC's Ram is selling, Ford would have to be silly to not offer something similar. Heck, today's F-150 has more leg room that the SD. Why it has taken them this long to get around to offering one is beyond me, but manufacturers, have been known to do some less than intelligent things from time to time and Ford is no exception.

Adam

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/08...interiors.html

Old 01-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,328 Likes on 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam R
Unless of course you take look at the one interior shot that is out on the web that shows a C pillar on a SD that is about 20 inches across. Looks like standard F-150 rear seats have been installed on that mule, but there is not doubt that the C-pillar is not a carry over from today's SD's. By that shot alone, I'd say a MCish SD does exist and is in testing...

And by that shot alone, I'd say Ford effectively distracted some people from the real story (not yet made public back when those spy photos were snapped), which was that a new all aluminum truck cab would be destined for the Super Duty as well, and that it may very well share major cab parts in common with the F-150.

Take a CLOSER look at the very same shot you are referencing.

Is the C pillar really "20 inches across"? Or are you actually seeing part of the faked cab extension through the rear window glass, and the glass you are seeing through actually terminates immediately behind the rear seat headrests, coinciding with where the headliner also terminates.

No one is suggesting that the C pillar you are looking at is a carryover from the current '99-'15 Super Duty. What is being suggested however, is that the 2016 Super Duty will sport the same major cab parts that the new 2015 F150 cab has.

Look again, more closely at your picture. Look at the rear doors, in particular, the kickup at the aft end of the window sill. Notice how Ford camo'ed that by blacking out the perimeter of that rear window to hide the kickup of the lower aft corner.

Look at the shape of the interior plastic panel of the C pillar, where the shoulder belt exits from. Compare that plastic trim panel with the 2015 F-150 crew cab. It isn't 20 inches across. The camo structure hanging over the prototype bed, as seen through the rear glass, makes it appear wider at first glance, but look closer.

I'll repost the photo in question here for everyone else to have a gander as well:

Old 01-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
You are right, it's closer to 17.68943 inches. What I was trying to get across is that the C pillar appears much larger than either the current SD's and the F-150's, which leads me to believe that a cab with longer front to back dimensions is in the works. Ford has missed the boat and lost a lot of sales to Ram's MegaCab. Ford is not normally known for resting on is laurels, but they been slow to catch up in this area. If there is carry over from the 2015's F-150's to the SD's, I'm fine with that so long as the cab does not get much smaller (side to side) than it's current size. I just want more leg room and a more functional back seat like the MegaCab's. Throw in an 8' bed and you have a winner of a cab/bed combination. I could care less if it's harder to park and doesn't turn as tight since I tend to park away from other vehicles as much as possible anyway.

Adam

Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't know if its different where you live, but i rarely ever see any megacabs around here. In fact, it makes me turn my head when i see one because i see them so rarely.

Quick Reply: If the next Super Duty had the same cab as the new F150, would you approve?