Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Freshman User

rbtom is starting off with a positive reputation.
49 passenger side door

Is there any reason why I would have a lock key on the passenger door and none on the drivers door? It doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I'm thinking that one of the doors is from a different year truck?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Nothing wrong with your truck. It's been discussed here a zillion times. Do a search on it. Ole Henry didn't want his customers stepping out on the street side of their truck (plus it was probably a cost saving measure). So you pull the inside driver's door handle up so that it's horizontal, then slide across and lock the passenger side with the key from the outside. DO NOT lock the passenger side with the inside handle before you close that door. Ask me how I know. But, to answer your question, that is the way they all were made for those years.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2008 F250 XLT, 6.4L Powerstroke
2011 Expedition EL
Old 08-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Senior User

JPMallory is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
DO NOT lock the passenger side with the inside handle before you close that door. Ask me how I know.
Ha! How do you know? More importantly, how did you get back into your truck? I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I eventually do this.

Synchronizers? Synchronizers?!? We don't need no stinking synchronizers!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Way back in the early days, Model T's didn't even have a drivers door. It was customary to slide in to and from the passenger side (curb side), hence only one lock.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMallory View Post
Ha! How do you know? More importantly, how did you get back into your truck? I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I eventually do this.
Break a window. I had a passenger lock me out once, right after telling them NOT to lock the door.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Senior User

JPMallory is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Break a window. I had a passenger lock me out once, right after telling them NOT to lock the door.
Oh wow. Is that the only option?

Synchronizers? Synchronizers?!? We don't need no stinking synchronizers!
Old 08-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
I know of a very active and well respected forum member, who will remain anonymous, who had to remove the rear glass to gain entrance to his truck. Somehow, someone locked his passenger door.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Remember, off street diagonal parking and shopping centers didn't start being the norm except in larger cities (while most trucks were sold in rural areas) until well into the 60's. Until then most parking was done parallel to the curb. It was discouraged and even illegal in some places to open the door/exit on the traffic side.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Freshman User

Ha!! That's great!! Thanks for clearing up my little mystery!!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMallory View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
I know of a very active and well respected forum member, who will remain anonymous, who had to remove the rear glass to gain entrance to his truck. Somehow, someone locked his passenger door.

Yep. It sucked. We stopped to get Subway for breakfast on our way to TS 14. She pulled the handle up on her side on her way out of the truck. And I was forced to push a 65 year old original back glass into my truck. It was going well until it got about halfway, then it flexed and shattered as shown. THEN, I had to piece it back together and put it back for the remainder of the trip. And, before anybody asks, I tried to open the door with a coat hanger for about 30 minutes before I just said to heck with this and pushed that window in.

Click the image to open in full size.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2011 Expedition EL
Old 08-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Freshman User

You can't unlock it with the key? ?!
Old 08-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtom View Post
You can't unlock it with the key? ?!
Not if you lock it from the inside. Don't ask me how I know. But I was lucky enough to unlock it with a coat hanger, unlike Shane.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Postmaster

Take note of how my wife (the culprit) was sitting peacefully inside the truck,enjoying her nice breakfast sandwich, while I was standing in the bed of my truck trying to convince a completely dry-rotted 65 year old broken window seal to go back into place at least temporarily so that we could continue on our journey. I didn't say a word. The worst part about it was that I lost the "Truckstock 2012" sticker in the back glass.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2011 Expedition EL
Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Freshman User

230thdratsab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to Classic Auto Supply can reproduce the glass which includes the etched Ford Safety Glass logo. I've purchased vent & driver's door glass from them. So far so good.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Take note of how my wife (the culprit) was sitting peacefully inside the truck,enjoying her nice breakfast sandwich, while I was standing in the bed of my truck trying to convince a completely dry-rotted 65 year old broken window seal to go back into place at least temporarily so that we could continue on our journey. I didn't say a word. The worst part about it was that I lost the "Truckstock 2012" sticker in the back glass.
You've been married long enough to know that it was all your fault, Shane. Hope you apologized for any inconvenience you caused.

19 and 49 F1 jes' like Henry II built

DW
Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 AM