Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2014, 11:49 AM
New User

TexasTurkey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another frustrated Ranger owner

My 2000 Ranger had the PO500 code problem of ABS, no shifts no speedo and I replaced the VSS on the differential and the plug end that connected it and the only result I got was the PO500 code disappeared--still ABS, no shifts no speedo

The aftermarket plug I used had 2 white wires so I assumed that meant it could be wired either way since the VSS is only a magnetic pickup
I tried the local Ford parts department to see if maybe there were more sensors on the wheels or whatever and they could only say there was 1 sensor inside the transmission ans MAYBE there could be 1 on each wheel or the front wheels or the rear wheels--how can a trained not be able to read what sensors are on a given vehicle
I am afraid I have a loose wire but I cain't even find a wiring diagram showing the same color wires I have on my truck
I inherited this Ranger when it had 5400 miles on it but was 4 years old and it NEVER shifted correctly(4R44E)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Posting Guru

David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.David7.3 has a great reputation on FTE.
As far as I know there is only one speed sensor on your truck, top of the rear, it makes no differance how the wires go it's just a magnetic pickup. Do you know what rear you have? the 8.8 I have seen the reluctor ring walk off the carrier and not get a signal, no speedo, cruise control or ABS are all signs your not getting the signal from the speed sensor, Do you have a DOM meter that reads htz, or frequency? you could probe the sensor and spin the wheel you should see a strong change in the frequency on the meter. That way you dont have to pull the cover and make a mess. double check the depth of the new and old sensor. I'm leaning that way, let someone else chime in and maybe we can get ya going.
99 F-350 7.3 PSD 6" superlift springs, 35 toyo load E tires, true trac front, detroit locker rear, 140 gallons fuel, Desiel-site coolant filter, 6.0 trans cooler, BDS trans, Banks billet converter, Bank trans command, Banks turbo housing, wicked II wheel, big head waste gate, Power elbow, EBCV removed, diesel-o-rings in fuel bowl. 203 t-stat,TS Performance tuner, True 4" exhaust turbo back,AIH delete,new turbo pedistal, turbine housing, More to Come when the funds come.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Junior User

KF4EYR is starting off with a positive reputation.
on my 99 the plug under the cab on drivers side had corroded i took it apart and cleaned and put dielectric grease in it,,, fixed the problem of not getting signal from rear end.........
Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4EYR View Post
on my 99 the plug under the cab on drivers side had corroded i took it apart and cleaned and put dielectric grease in it,,, fixed the problem of not getting signal from rear end.........
You might be on to something: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - 2000 Ford Ranger Overdrive light flashing
Old 08-19-2014, 09:54 AM
New User

TexasTurkey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you--I seem to have fixed my problem--at least for now--the local parts store had given me the wrong part--it looked identical but was for a 4 wheel drive truck --the computer recognized it and dropped the PO500 engine code but did not recognize the in formation it sent--I tried the connection under the cab and it seemed OK before accidently getting a counter person to check the part number on the part I was given while trying to compare the lengths of the magnetic pick-ups on my old part and the new one I had installed
Old 08-19-2014, 09:54 AM