1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Convert a f100 back to y block

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 AM
sdhagerman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert a f100 back to y block

I'm looking at a 56 f100 someone converted to 350 chevy (idiots!). Can I easily convert it back to a y block, or is it a big hassle?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:14 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdhagerman
I'm looking at a 56 f100 someone converted to 350 chevy (idiots!). Can I easily convert it back to a y block, or is it a big hassle?
It depends on how much they have cut out?

Do you still have these corssmembers left?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ku1sU39oQb...0/DSC_0395.JPG

Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 AM
sdhagerman
New User
Thanks Jim for responding,

Yeah, typically the guy bought the truck already converted. so what's there is it. Whatever I do will require me putting it back to normal. My main concern is what may have been cut out to do the engine swap. If it's just a matter of putting the original mounts back in, that's doable, but if it was all chopped up, I don't think I want to tackle it.

steve

Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Thanks Jim for responding,

Yeah, typically the guy bought the truck already converted. so what's there is it. Whatever I do will require me putting it back to normal. My main concern is what may have been cut out to do the engine swap. If it's just a matter of putting the original mounts back in, that's doable, but if it was all chopped up, I don't think I want to tackle it.

steve
Hi

do you still have the beam front axle?

Check underneth to see if you can find the crossmembers that you see in the picture I attached.

Have the framerails been boxed? ie instead of a u-shape, they might have placed a steel plate in the inside of the frame rail giving u a rectangular shape instead

Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
The y block in these trucks has one front (timingcover) and 2 rear (bellhousing) motormounts. So you need to find out if they have cut out these two Crossmembers that you see in my picture above.

Its likely they have added a crossmeber between these two for the sidemounts for the Chebby, and probably they have removed of cut away the rear crossmember (the one just under the end of the plywood) and replaced that with some tubular bolt on that fits your gearbox.

Remowing the rear engine crossmember on these truck makes the front cab frame members (outside) to sag and you can get a missalignment on the whole front sheetmetal.......
The rear orignial crossmember holds the rear of the engine and trans and also keeps the framrail together and straight, preventing the front cab members to sag

Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
It's probably very doable. You'll really need to take some pictures and let us see how the PO put the 350 in. If they bought a mount kit many were bolt in and can easily be removed. I doubt they removed the front crossmember because that's where the radiator mounts and all the sheet metal hangs off of. The real question is the rear mount between the front cab mounts. If it is there, and in tact, you're Golden! Keep in mind there is not a transmission cross member on these old trucks. The tranny hangs off the back of the bell housing. That's why the crossmember between the cab mounts is so important.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Old81F100Brown
Senior User
Newest 302 to put into 1981 F100?

I have a 1981 F100 that I love. Single rail four speed Overdrive Transmission on floor. Smaller 8" flywheel. If I tried to upgrade what could I get a 302 out of (the newest) from a junkyard to upgrade to say Fuel injection? I am getting old and don't want to crawl around under the hood so much. I search to see what 302 out of what vehicle would be the most reliable, always start, not breakdown engine to buy to put in what I have?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
When considering the feasibility of changing back to a Y block, be mindful of what you have and what you need as a donor engine package. Cars and trucks use different engine mounting.
Just a FWIW but is the rest of the truck still entirely stock enough to justify going back to a Y block? Chevy makes a good reliable engine and if the swap is done correctly makes a good combination.
What do you envision for the truck? Driver, concourse correct show truck, or other?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
It's probably very doable. You'll really need to take some pictures and let us see how the PO put the 350 in. If they bought a mount kit many were bolt in and can easily be removed. I doubt they removed the front crossmember because that's where the radiator mounts and all the sheet metal hangs off of. The real question is the rear mount between the front cab mounts. If it is there, and in tact, you're Golden! Keep in mind there is not a transmission cross member on these old trucks. The tranny hangs off the back of the bell housing. That's why the crossmember between the cab mounts is so important.
They could still have removed the front motor crossmember. It s not the same as the radiator and sheetmetal is mounted on...

Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by jimcar-9
They could still have removed the front motor crossmember. It s not the same as the radiator and sheetmetal is mounted on...
Correct the v-8 powered 53-56 have an additional cross member for the front mount

The 6 cyl mount attaches to the radiator support crossmember

Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
Correct the v-8 powered 53-56 have an additional cross member for the front mount

The 6 cyl mount attaches to the radiator support crossmember
Interesting, yet another day with increased knowledge.....

Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
You need to have these two cross members. The front to mount the engine, radiator support and front clip to. The back one to mount the rear motor mounts to.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  88.4 KB

I know my back mount is cut. The PO did it so they could remove the automatic without pulling the engine.

OBTW this was a 6 cylinder.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
You need to have these two cross members. The front to mount the engine, radiator support and front clip to. The back one to mount the rear motor mounts to.

Attachment 103933

I know my back mount is cut. The PO did it so they could remove the automatic without pulling the engine.

OBTW this was a 6 cylinder.
Hm.... Cut to pull the trans..... That was creative......

Old 08-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this stuff, but cutting a crossmember, wow!

Here are pictures of the 8 cylinder crossmembers.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
No, no, no. That'll never work, Harrier.. Those are WAY TOO CLEAN!

Quick Reply: Convert a f100 back to y block