Progress on 46 1/2 Ton

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:21 PM
46fordgal
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe777
Nice work! The interior looks great. I bet installing the door glass/regulators was REALLY fun. My father-in-law and I spent a whole day just installing the center piece in the windshield of my truck. The holes in the rubber window gasket didn't line up with the corresponding holes in the center piece. After a few modifications and many "choice" words, we finally got it installed.
I had the same problem installing the windshield center piece and ended up leaving it as 'good enough for now'. My dad was in town helping me put in the regulators and glass. I think he was shocked by the many 'choice' words that came out of my mouth during that little project

Old 10-02-2015, 12:11 PM
46fordgal
Junior User
I plan on taking the truck out for its maiden voyage (around the block) in the next week or two. I only have the brakes (replace master cylinder) left to do before I can see if it will drive.
I am trying to adjust the belts and am having a difficult time with them. The first problem is the generator. When the bolt is tightened, it does not move up or down, but it does tilt from side to side (pretty sure this isn't normal). Anyone have experience with this? Seems like there has to be an easier way to adjust them. I also have to figure out the fan alignment; the fan is sticking out too far and the belt is not straight up and down. As always, any help is appreciated!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear from you fordgal. I was wondering how you were doing with the p/u. Something does sound amiss with the genny/fan mount. It has been a while since I messed with mine but I recall having to get the genny bracket slid into some grooves. Kinda awkward to do and that genny is heavy. I'm going to do some work on my truck tomorrow and will look at my setup.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:55 AM
46fordgal
Junior User
Originally Posted by Joe777
Good to hear from you fordgal. I was wondering how you were doing with the p/u. Something does sound amiss with the genny/fan mount. It has been a while since I messed with mine but I recall having to get the genny bracket slid into some grooves. Kinda awkward to do and that genny is heavy. I'm going to do some work on my truck tomorrow and will look at my setup.
Thanks Joe,
I got it figured out. It took everything off to see what was going on. There was a stray washer behind the bracket, so it wasn't able to sit on the block properly. All is good, I hope. I have a lift in my workshop now, so doing the brakes/master cylinder will be much, much easier.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 46fordgal
Thanks Joe,
I got it figured out. It took everything off to see what was going on. There was a stray washer behind the bracket, so it wasn't able to sit on the block properly. All is good, I hope. I have a lift in my workshop now, so doing the brakes/master cylinder will be much, much easier.
A lift in your shop! Argh, I would love just to have a shop (garage) but a lift would be a dream!!!!
Glad you got the genny sorted out .

Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM
46fordgal
Junior User
I took the truck off the lift yesterday to see if it was ready for a trip around the block. I have a toploader 3 speed and I wasn't able to get it to reverse. When I had the shifter in the reverse position (left, top), the truck moved forward. Has anyone worked on these transmissions? I am just wondering if they are difficult or if I would be able to go through it and figure out the problem. I see that Van Pelt has a book available on these for rebuilding. I was excited that it started, stopped and at least went forward. Seems like it's always 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 AM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Sounds like a shifter fork is out of place but I am no expert on transmissions. Surely someone will chime in with some guidance.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Lumbah
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swap the thingamajig on your dumafloppy and hunker it down tight. Hold your tongue out the side of your mouth and bite down hard...then test every gear again- does it still for forward in ALL of them, or do you get reverse in 1st? I had an old Chevy 3 spd that someone had reversed the fork on 2/3 so I had to pretend I was shifting into 3rd from 1st and then to 2nd to drive it. It was indeed the fork.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:47 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I looked back through your pics and it looks like you had the top cover off of the transmission and a temporary cover on it?

Align the shifter forks to the neutral position with the shifter. "Put it in neutral"

Take the shifter out of the shifter housing. Just unscrew the cap on the shifter base.

Take the shifter housing off of the transmission.

Then slide the reverse sleeve and the main synchronizer sleeve in the transmission to match the alignment of the forks on the shifter housing.

Put it back together in reverse order. Make sure that the forks on the shifter housing engage in the sleeves in the transmission.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:39 AM
46fordgal
Junior User
Originally Posted by tacomacream
I looked back through your pics and it looks like you had the top cover off of the transmission and a temporary cover on it?

Align the shifter forks to the neutral position with the shifter. "Put it in neutral"

Take the shifter out of the shifter housing. Just unscrew the cap on the shifter base.

Take the shifter housing off of the transmission.

Then slide the reverse sleeve and the main synchronizer sleeve in the transmission to match the alignment of the forks on the shifter housing.

Put it back together in reverse order. Make sure that the forks on the shifter housing engage in the sleeves in the transmission.
That is exactly what I had to do. The GREAT news is that I drove it around the block for the very first time! Such an adrenaline rush! I was so nervous and my heart was beating outside my chest, but it started, stopped, drove in reverse and drove forward in all 3 gears. It did not spring any leaks and all worked well. Success...Finally! Still have to get tires and finish up a few things, but those are minor issues comparatively speaking.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:50 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Great news! Do we get to see a first drive video?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 AM
Joe777
Laughing Gas
Even a 2nd drive video would be great!

Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 AM
46fordgal
Junior User
I didn't video the first drive in case something went terribly wrong. I plan on taking it out again this weekend for another trip around the block. I don't think I can post videos on here though. Here are a couple of pics of it out of the workshop for the first time in well over a year.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:08 AM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I posted a video on here by first putting it up on YouTube and then linking back here.
Nice looking truck with a satisfied owner behind the wheel.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:19 AM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
The Ford looks brand new!

It looks like you bought the one on the end of the row.

Quick Reply: Progress on 46 1/2 Ton