1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

MacBook/FTE Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
MacBook/FTE Problems?

Is anyone else having problems using their MacBook with FTE? I frequently get an error message that says:
"Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Size of the request field header exceeds server limit. Cookie /n Apache Server at ford-trucks.com Port 80"
I may be able to get to a thread, and may not, and if I do then my post will frequently get that error and the post will be lost. Having said that, I'm not getting the same errors from my iDevices nor this Windows machine. However, the MacBook is useless on FTE at the present, regardless of the browser I'm using. Anyone else?

Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Is this something that has just happened since you got home Gary?
What Safari version are you browsing with?

I no longer have any iDevices but just this past week I was having trouble navigating this site on the Win7 netbook.
Going from page to page w/Firefox I would get an error saying that prefetching was not allowed.

Edit, sorry I missed that bit about "regardless of what browser I'm using"

Old 08-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
It started while I was gone, I think, as I tried my MacBook on the trip and, IIRC, I had problems. I tried the iPhone and iPad and had no problems so put the laptop away. (I don't normally travel w/the laptop, but thought I had a need while in DE to rip some LP's as a sound track for the upcoming GTG, but that didn't happen.)

As for the versions, Safari is 6.1.5 and Chrome is 36.0.1985.143. Haven't tried Firefox although I have it installed, but if it did it across two different browsers it doesn't seem like it is my machine - especially since I've rebooted several times.

And my iDevices work fine, as does this Win 8 machine.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Gary - Clear your cookies & cache and see if the problem goes away.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Gary - Clear your cookies & cache and see if the problem goes away.
Good idea! Why didn't I think of that??? But, it'll be a while as I'm currently running Parallels on the MacBook to give a Windows platform for the air/fuel ratio meter software. So I don't want to reboot at the moment but will later. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Chris - I think you win the prize as clearing everything appears to have done the trick. But, I thought the cookies, cache, et al were specific to a browser. If so, why did both browsers have problems.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Not sure............

Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's your problem in the first place Gary....you're using a Mac!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
And I'll buy another when the time comes. It is very old and is still quite functional - much longer than any of my Windows machines have ever been. However, there are times when a Windows machine is needed, like today to run the AEM software. Parallels works, but suck up LOTS of cycles.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:40 AM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I was just kidding around. I give my gf crap all the time about her Mac. She'll complain how this site isn't working, or she needs some software to run something for her job, or for school, and then I just grin and say, "I bet it'll run on my PC"

She used to have 2 iphones too, but luckily I saved her from the darkness and got her over to Android. She ended up needing batteries in both of them, and I said, "I can take care of that". What an idiot I was. We just ended up selling them.

I do enjoy Mac's for their speed and usual dependability, but unfortunately, the business world has adopted them to be the cheapest/easiest to support.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
When I was in business IT I hated Macs. Then I retired and bought my first one - and love it. But, as I said, there are times when only Winders will do.

As for the iPhone, I recently had the same conversation with my son, who was thinking about going with an Android and asked my opinion. I told him I'd very recently had the same thought, but only fleetingly. Then I realized that none of my apps will work, that my many notes won't transfer, and worst of all I won't be able to Facetime and see my grandchildren. Yes, there are workarounds for all of those, but they are workarounds. And to ask my son, DiL, daughter, SiL, brother, etc to load up another app to replace Facetime is in itself a show-stopper. On top of that, I just realized that I'd lose my technical support for engine building. Tim Meyer, who sold me a few thousand dollars worth of 400 kit, has provided technical support to other of his clients via Facetime.

So, I'm an Apple user and an anxiously awaiting the availability of the iPhone 6. Why? Because I've killed the earpiece on four out of four 4S's that I've owned. Apple graciously replaced three of them for no charge, but won't the fourth. And, I've subsequently learned that this is a common problem on all phones used in places that grind or machine metal as the metal dust penetrates pockets and adheres to the magnet in the earpiece. Eventually it builds up to the point that the volume is cut dramatically, as mine is. And the only solution is something like the Lifeproof case that completely seals the phone.