2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Will we ever get an Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BossGasser
"They aren't pulling or hauling anything either."

They pull G's that could kill you or me. Put one on a ceiling at speed and it will drive upside down. Have you not watched? They are tiny and have to be weighted to get up to spec. The parts are tiny and handle incredible loads.
They use to use materials that we currently use.

"I think most truck owners expect nothing short of 500,000 miles"

I I ??????????????????????????????

"will it meet all the criteria for cost, mpg, capability, dependability, durability, etc.?

Yes. They already did it with the F150. Did you miss that?
Didn't miss a thing. Pulling g-forces isn't the same as pulling huge loads. I don't know why you don't get that. I didn't miss the durability testing on the half-ton, but also, in case you hadn't noticed, a half-ton and 1-ton are different beasts. Why don't you watch that video of the F150 pulling 15,000lb up a hill, about as quick as the Super Duty does it, but with more transmission clunking. Hey I'm not saying what you're asking for is impossible, but you are making ridiculous comparisons. As if a truck should have equal specific horsepower/torque per liter as a Lamborghini or F1 car. That's just stupid. Don't be stupid!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:01 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
It's all in how you use the energy available. Fuel, heat, air and electricity. We are seeing the future now. It's been happening for decades. F1 starts the race with a full tank of fuel and they cannot get more. They are running faster and farther every year. Faster = higher G's.
I'm not asking for anything or anyone's approval. I am telling you and the others here - except Tseekins - he understands simple physics - what we see in F1 will happen everywhere.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
Didn't miss a thing. Pulling g-forces isn't the same as pulling huge loads. I don't know why you don't get that. I didn't miss the durability testing on the half-ton, but also, in case you hadn't noticed, a half-ton and 1-ton are different beasts. Why don't you watch that video of the F150 pulling 15,000lb up a hill, about as quick as the Super Duty does it, but with more transmission clunking. Hey I'm not saying what you're asking for is impossible, but you are making ridiculous comparisons. As if a truck should have equal specific horsepower/torque per liter as a Lamborghini or F1 car. That's just stupid. Don't be stupid!
Exactly. Make and f1 engine pull 6000+ pounds around a track and see what happens. Its apples to oranges. Would I buy a 3.5 ecoboost in a superduty? NO. Because I wouldnt buy one in an f150 either. Not saying the ecoboost is bad, it just not for me personally, I prefer the driving characteristics of an NA engine even my not so fast 5.4.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:31 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by 92f150I6
Not saying the ecoboost is bad, it just not for me personally, I prefer the driving characteristics of an NA engine even my not so fast 5.4.
Have you actually driven an Ecoboost for any length of time?

While it's apples-to-oranges, my Taurus puts out so much low-end-torque compared to a NA V8 that "drivability" is only a concern in that I can hardly keep it from rear-ending the car in front of me if I goose it too much

That torque comes in with a SMALL turbo lag, but after that split second, 1500RPM has so much torque that it puts any NA engine to shame.

Personally, if Ford puts a 5.0 ecoboost into an SD, I'd replace my '01 in a heartbeat.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krewat
Have you actually driven an Ecoboost for any length of time?
No, i have not. Im am not saying that the ecoboost v6 is not a good powerful engine. Its just not what i want. Different strokes they say. Maybee if they do an ecoboost v8 in a superduy i might be interested, but i wouldnt pay extra for it.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:36 PM
crabhab
Senior User
I have owned two recent model 5.4 powered super duties and other than the motor being very reliable it is a turd in those trucks. My current F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost will spank that 5.4 every time. Put a low pressure turbo on either the 5.0 or 6.2 and it would be a great V10/Diesel substitute.

Krewat. It is hard to describe the new ecoboost engines to people who have not driven them for any length of time. I have a 5star tune on my truck and have shamed more than a few tuned diesel trucks in the past 9 months of ownership. Seems like capt cummins in the dodge trucks loves to get spanked by a little v6.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:13 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by crabhab
I have owned two recent model 5.4 powered super duties and other than the motor being very reliable it is a turd in those trucks. My current F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost will spank that 5.4 every time.
Of course your truck will. It has more hp and is moving 1000+ less. Maybe i just dont see how my truck is a turd, while it is def not fast, it sure isnt weak either. My point is, the ecoboost is a fine engine, but it is not necessarily for everyone. Maybe if i did drive a 3.5 i would like it, who knows.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the number of Eco-boosted F150's reaching 250,000 miles is anywhere near the number of F250 Super Dutys, I would think they might have a chance. But until then, I will go on believing that the EcoBoost engines are just not in the game for the long haul when pressed to perform under heavy loading..

Old 10-05-2014, 04:47 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
When the number of Eco-boosted F150's reaching 250,000 miles is anywhere near the number of F250 Super Dutys, I would think they might have a chance. But until then, I will go on believing that the EcoBoost engines are just not in the game for the long haul when pressed to perform under heavy loading..
Even if the engine may be in question, I know overall gearing will be the answer.

I am sure the engineers will get the gearing dialed in to make a small EB engine viable in a Superduty.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Anomic
Senior User
I dont know i noticed the 2015 f150 shows "light duty" snow plow for 5.0 only no ecoboost. If the ecoboost could handle a 450lb plow on a f150 they would have made that package available ford wants to sell as many ecoboost as possible.

Following that id say if a ecoboost cant candle a 450lb plow on 6000lb f150 it wont handle alot of usages pf the 3/4 and 1 tons. There is alot more to an engine than hp and torque especially in a truck!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:52 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
It's not the weight of the plow, it's the placement of the intercooler. The plow interferes with operation of the intercooler.

On a truck like the Superduty, which offers a larger frontal area, they would have more options for intercooler placement. As long as they account for it in the design process they could easily accommodate a plow.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the intercooler on my 2015 SD is air/water..

It is not about the weight anyways as there are a lot of pretty lightweight plows out there, it's about the amount of torque and traction that it takes to get that plow moving through a couple. Of feet of heavy snow and pushing it however far you need it to go.
I can tell you right now that my 2002 Jeep Wrangler with 4.0 6 banger has all it can do to move a heavy load of snow 50' without being in low range.. It is really hard on the little truck and with just over 80k on the clock, he's starting to get a little tired.. Plow work is some of the toughest duty you can put a vehicle through... One area I would be concerned with is where the plow mounts would bolt up to the aluminum frame. Two metals that don't like each other to begin with, then give them a constant bath of salt and water..

Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Anomic
Senior User
That was my assumption that it would lead to cooling issues (generally the problem with plows). But that is the whole point. If a motor cant handle being worked behind a plow is a 1 ton pickup a good place for it?

Im dang glad i have a tractor to plow my 1/2 mile with so i dont have to beat up my truck, but im glad i have a motor and trans that can handle that kind of work if called upon. Agreed plowing is tough on a car but it is about the easiest job my tractor has! Only problem is sometimes i take a few inches of gravel off with the snow!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe the intercooler on my 2015 SD is air/water..

It is not about the weight anyways as there are a lot of pretty lightweight plows out there, it's about the amount of torque and traction that it takes to get that plow moving through a couple. Of feet of heavy snow and pushing it however far you need it to go.
I can tell you right now that my 2002 Jeep Wrangler with 4.0 6 banger has all it can do to move a heavy load of snow 50' without being in low range.. It is really hard on the little truck and with just over 80k on the clock, he's starting to get a little tired.. Plow work is some of the toughest duty you can put a vehicle through... One area I would be concerned with is where the plow mounts would bolt up to the aluminum frame. Two metals that don't like each other to begin with, then give them a constant bath of salt and water..
The Frame on the F150 is still steel, only the body is aluminum.

I have no idea why the ecoboost isn't rated for a plow. I doubt its due to intercooler issues, as the temps you operate in with a plow won't cause high intake temps.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:59 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
One area I would be concerned with is where the plow mounts would bolt up to the aluminum frame. Two metals that don't like each other to begin with, then give them a constant bath of salt and water..
The frame is steel.

Quick Reply: Will we ever get an Ecoboost?