All Gummed Up!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:40 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
I was putting my old 351C in my F100 with a Monte Carlo front clip today. There was some oil pan interference so I decided to remove the pan and try a rear sump pan.
When I removed the pan there was sludge all the way up to the pickup screen. I removed some of the sludge and there were chunks of something in the sludge. Upon closer investigation it was plastic. Some of the larger pieces looked as though they were in the form of a circle. The engine was running when I took it out with no knocks.
Any idea what the hard plastic pieces could be from?
I would have guessed valve stem seals. But you should have found more of them when pulling valve covers.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:32 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Pretty nice store. Too bad I don't have room for a metal break. Tried to buy a tap but they don't sell UNF taps individually. Did buy more batteries for my Dewalt drill and impac wrench.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, it is a nice store. I always stop there when we pass through.

As for taps or die, I pick them up at flea markets and garage sales. I got a display case years ago that had been in a hardware store, and it has places for 5 - 7 taps and die of every size from #6 to 1/2" inc fine and coarse for most. But it was almost empty so I spent several years picking up taps and die when I could until it was finally full.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Yes, It was well worth the hour or so I spent there.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:27 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Getting back on topic, the plastic parts will be from the camshaft gear. Years ago, I remember changing the timing gears on a '79 Lincoln Continental with a 400 engine. The plastic had come off of the camshaft gear and the timing components had failed to where the distributor wouldn't turn. It had plugged up the oil pump pickup screen, but luckily it hadn't restricted enough flow to where it had done engine damage. I replaced the timing components and the oil pump and all was well.
Funny how a lot of timing components of that era were made of plastic to make the engine quieter, but the replacement components were all made of steel.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 AM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. WOW! That Grizzly store looks like a Temple to Tools... are they online?

. Don't have to run 160 thermostat to get sludge... dinosaur juice oil just does that... synthetic isn't supposed to, but I don't know for sure... my '86 Chevy Monte Carlo always had a 195 thermostat in it but at 200,000 miles had 3/8" - 1/2" of sludge everywhere in it...

. The nylon timing gear is supposed to be quieter, but never really noticed any noise after going to all metal... maybe in smaller vehicle I would...

Old 08-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, Grizzly is on-line. They are like an up-market Harbor Freight, but WAY up. They do carry some of the same Chinese-made tools as HF, or almost exactly the same, but their customer service is much, MUCH better than HF's.

True Story: I bought a lathe/mill/drill from HF after looking closely at almost the exact same model from Grizzly and several other vendors. After I got it set up I realized that a T-nut in the vise was bad, so I pulled out the manual and looked at the illustration of the machine to get the part number. To my horror the drawing of the vise was absolutely nothing like the real vise. In fact, you couldn't even make what was drawn. So I called HF's "customer support" and explained my problem. The young lady who answered obviously speaks more languages than I, but she'd never see one of these machines so couldn't help me.

I then downloaded the manual on the same machine from several vendors, inc Grizzly, and discovered that all of them had the same wrong drawing of the vise. So I called Grizzly's customer support, and when the guy answered I told him that I don't have their machine, but have the HF version. Then I explained that I needed the T-nut in the vise but that I couldn't tell him the part number as I couldn't find it in the drawing. He said it didn't matter that I don't have their machine, that he had personally used that machine and knew the part I needed, and pulled out the manual. Then he said "Holy cow! That's wrong! In fact, you can't even make that!" And I both laughed and agreed. Then he said "Give me your number. I'm going to take the vise apart, find out what that nut is, and I'll call you back." He did and I ordered 2 T-nuts at $2.50/ea and have been a Grizzly fan ever since.

But, to be fair they also carry some very classy tools as well. In fact, the owner of Grizzly recently bought South Bend, the defunct maker of US-made lathes and mills, and is having them made again to a very high standard. And they carry DeWalt, Miller, and many other big brands of tools.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Well it's been FOREVER but I finally got back to the ole 351C. Humm can't load pictures
The chain was very loose and it did have plastic teeth but none were broke off. Still not sure what the chunks were in the sluge in the oil pan. Put a new double roller chain and gears and gave it a clean up and paint job. Still wanting to put in an oil pump and then I'll button it back up.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Pictures are uploading fine for me. Anyway, glad you made some progress.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
I keep getting a timed out error?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Let's see:

Edit: Picture removed as it was irrelevant.

Works for me. The way I just did it was to click the yellow postcard icon, click Browse Your Computer, and then find the file I wanted, click Open, and then Insert when it is lit up.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
I'm on my iPad guess I'll have to try posting on one of the computers.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Posted from my iPad. Same process but when you hit Browse My Computer it pops up the camera roll. Pick one, hit done, then insert when it lights up.

Edit: Picture removed as it was irrelevant.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Jumped over on my Laptop to see if I can post from it.

Old Timing Chain

New Double Roller

A good cleaning and painting

Works from my computer.

Error on my iPad

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I've gotten that error when my pics were huge. If you took the pic on the iPad it might be very large and got scaled down when you sent it to the computer, allowing it to upload. But, you could do a screen shot of each and upload those - just like you did for the error message.

Wow that old chain was LOOOSE!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All Gummed Up!