1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

kind of urgent question disk and power break conversion advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kind of urgent question disk and power break conversion advice

Good evening! I just ordered some brake conversion kits (for my 55 f100), and am realizing I should have confirmed a couple of things.

The kit I'm getting is from classic performance products, and contains the same front disk and power conversion available from midfifty as the "whole shebang" kit.

I have two questions...

First, should I have thought more about rotors/calipers clearing in the front wheels? I'm running 15" steel wheels that would have been stock on a late 60's ford f100 (among others). I sort of assumed they would fit, but now I'm remembering that the 55 steel wheels (at least some of them) were 16", and I don't know if these kits require those wheels.

Second, for the power booster, I know I need to pull vacuum off of the motor. My truck has a 292 yblock with 312 heads. I've never messed with changing/adding vacuum lines before. Couple guys told me it'd be easy to do, but I should have done some checking before ordering the kits. Now I'm looking at the intake manifold wondering where I might find the extra vacuum lines I've heard about. I'm going to try and post some pics, in case that helps anyone give me some guidance....

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.... any specific experience with these kits would also be awesome...

Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,444 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Your 15" wheels should work with the disc brake kit. You'll most likely need to add a fitting for your power brake hose. Find a vacuum source or a pipe plug in one of your intake runners and adapt your fitting into there. Know that power brake vacuum hose is special DOT approved hose and is a unique size. Make sure you get the proper size fittings to go with it. Do not try to skimp and use fuel hose or other vacuum line. The correct stuff is very heavy walled to prevent collapsing.

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=2808

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 AM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Your 15" wheels should work with the disc brake kit. You'll most likely need to add a fitting for your power brake hose. Find a vacuum source or a pipe plug in one of your intake runners and adapt your fitting into there. Know that power brake vacuum hose is special DOT approved hose and is a unique size. Make sure you get the proper size fittings to go with it. Do not try to skimp and use fuel hose or other vacuum line. The correct stuff is very heavy walled to prevent collapsing.
Thanks, Wayne!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 AM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
New Pics, educated guess and question.

First, I think I've figured out where I need to pull vacuum from (help from Wayne and Youtube. See green circles in the picture with the large "A" on it below. Anyone wanting to tell me I'm right or way off base, is welcome.

Second, Does anyone know what the highlighted line is in the picture with the big "B" on it? I think it is a vacuum line. Seems to run from intake manifold to the back of the block. The connection at the block is very loose... I can just slide the rubber hose on/off the metal tube in connects to. Seems like that's bound to be a vacuum leak... if it is a vacuum line.???

Old 08-13-2014, 09:43 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,444 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Not being a Y-block expert, I'm guessing the two bolts you have circled are attaching bolts, not vacuum ports, and the hose you reference is your crankcase vent, not a vacuum line. Keep looking.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
"A" locations are mounting bolts. "B" location does appear to be a crankcase vent. I don't see a Vacuum port on your manifold. There is a round boss behind your carb slightly on the passenger side that looks like it could be drilled and tapped. On my 312 I have a port on the back of my carb ( I use for crankcase vent ), can't tell if you have one but if so it could be used. You could use a carb spacer and install a port in the spacer.

I will take a photo of my port tonight and post it.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:18 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Thanks, Wayne and Mike. I feel more than a little stupid, and appreciate your not pointing that out (at least not obviously).

Mike, pictures would be fantastic. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
The crankcase breather is hooked to vacuum, otherwise it would not suck . You could either "T" off that line or some of those carbs had a vacuum port on the base in the front you could use. Ford also used a cast riser under those carbs with a vacuum port that you could find and use for your brake system.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Jeff, here are a couple photos of my booster connection. It is the brass T at the end of the polished aluminum tube, other side of T is for the transmission. You can also see my PCV connected to the rear of the carb. Dave is correct, you could tap into the PCV line, I prefer to keep pcv and booset separate but there is no reason it wouldn't work.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
Jeff, here are a couple photos of my booster connection. It is the brass T at the end of the polished aluminum tube, other side of T is for the transmission. You can also see my PCV connected to the rear of the carb. Dave is correct, you could tap into the PCV line, I prefer to keep pcv and booset separate but there is no reason it wouldn't work....
Thanks! Looks nice.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
The crankcase breather is hooked to vacuum, otherwise it would not suck . You could either "T" off that line or some of those carbs had a vacuum port on the base in the front you could use. Ford also used a cast riser under those carbs with a vacuum port that you could find and use for your brake system.
Awesome. Thanks!